Do it Yourself Cheese Press

Discussion in 'Goats' started by savinggrace, Sep 25, 2006.

1. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Hello,

I have some free time this week and I hope to learn how to make cheeses. Simple at first, but hopefully with time I will evolve to more complicated cheeses!

Looking to the future, and the equiptment required, I would like to 'make do' as much as possible, including making a cheese press if possible!

Has anyone made a 'do it yourself' cheese press-with any success?

Thank you,

2. goatedintoit

goatedintoit Truly Gems ADGA Nubians

Check out the info at this site for making a cheese press at home.

HTML:
    http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/Cheese_5_gallons/Cheese_press/PRESS_SETUP_00.htm

3. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

I keep looking at the heavy bookbinder's press that's sitting on the floor...is there such a thing as too heavy a press? It winds down...

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

The thing is, you really need to control the amount of pressure. I use a home made press but I bought the pressure control device from Heoggars. My Press is made from PVC Pipe.

5. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Hi Melissa. My brother experimented around made cheese both from Goat and cow milk at home. He had various homemade presses. One was 3" PVC about 8 or 10 inches long. Another was a 12" diameter chunk of pipe so he could emulate those big cheese wheels. Yet another was a wooden 4
    sided square tube made of hard maple. The hardest part of them was making the plugs to fit inside of the presses.
    They were all crude, but the cheeses were DELICIOUS. A Dill & Caraway impregnated natural white Cheddar was especially good :) Have fun with it.

6. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z