Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a pig (hamp/duroc cross) who I am raising on about 1/3 acre of rye/clover with Safeway produce-fruitandveggies/bread leftovers, free choice commercial hog feed (looks like dusty cornoatsbarleywithpellets), and alfalfa hay. I got her as a weaner at the end of May and yesterday she weighed 137.9 according to the girthxgirthxlengthdividedby400 formula. When I got her, my neighbors said to worm her about halfway through raising her for meat. Do I need to worm her? She is not in a confined pen and is a neat little pooper (along the fenceline, away from browse). I'd just as soon put as little meds into her as possible. She DOES drink the disgusting water in her long pig submarine trough, that she muddies despite twice weekly cleaning...she also has a superduperprotected water bucket that she tries to find ways to spill and flip and I continually come up with new ways to encircle/girdle/protect from said displacement of aquavitae. She lives with two calves, so don't know if there's any zoonotic nematodes that would cross the bovine/porcine borders. Any and all thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
No. If she was wormed at weaning (and she should have been) that is usually enough to take them through to killing. You don't say but I gather that your pig is in good condition, growing well and with no sign of worms. If that's the case, leave her alone.

Grazing your calves with the pig is not a good idea. Pigs are the greatest source of Lepto. in cattle, picked up through the urine and faeces of pigs. You can vaccinate both pigs and cattle against Lepto. but it is not 100% and the disease can be passed on to you - and it is not one you would want to have. Think seriously about having a designated area for your pig and cross graze it with sheep if you have them.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pig lepto....is it already too late? I don't have sheep but I've got goats...can I put the pig with goats? I thought lepto could spread to everything....if the pig has lepto then wouldn't I just be a liable to get it from her as from the calves? She WAS vaccinated and wormed when I got her. I'll call the breeder and see what the pig got vaccinated against. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
=== Grazing your calves with the pig is not a good idea. Pigs are the greatest source of Lepto. in cattle, picked up through the urine and faeces of pigs. ===

I see all kinds of stories like this onlline, yet many of us free range all our species together with no problems. Pigs, poultry, bovine, sheep, goats, equine, etc. roam free.

I had a steer that I rode and drove. I had a hog that drove. The steer mothered the hog from the time it was a piglet; wrapped his body around the piglet when they slept; wouldn't let anything near it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I put Dawn dish soap in the feed every few weeks to work my pigs/piglets. My wife heard about this a few years ago and we started doing it. After we started doing this, I remembered that my Uncle that raised me did something similar to this back in the '60s. I know I will proberly get some poopoo for this but it works good for me. The butcher I use told me that he does not save the liver. Well every animal I took in, he saved the liver. I took in some goats for a friend and when I went back in, he told me he could tell that I did not raise the goats. When I asked him how he could tell, he showed me the liver on one. My God did it look bad. He told me that is what the liver looks like if you worm with drugs. My livers have always looked good and were delicous.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tonight the pig was squished in between the two calves; a porkchop sandwich of sleeping livestock...I am going to just hope all goes well on this one, as I've no other really good place to separate them. I am going to give DE in their grain, if not to worm them well, at least to keep the fly larva down in the pasture.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Fed the proper amount daily, Joan, the DE will deworm the pigs. I don't use chemical dewormers for any of my critters.

Food grade DE will also keep them healthy. With house pets, poultry and large livestock I have no sickness, diseases, conditions, or vet bills.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Rogo, let me assure you that I am not in the habit on telling "stories". It is a fact!

The pomona strain of Lepto. in pigs is the most common origin of infection in cattle, either picked up directly from the pig or from pig effluent. This strain can cause abortion storms in cows and a severe and often fatal disease in calves. There are at least another three strains of Lepto but this is the most common one between pigs and cattle.

Many people run their livestock together with no problems at all but that doesn't mean to say they won't. I know of many people too who don't vaccinate their sheep against chlostridial diseases and think they're smarter than the rest of us - until the year arrives when they lose half their lambs to Pulpy Kidney. I offer the information, not to be made to look stupid, but to give people the option.

Yes, Lepto can be caught off pigs but it is more normal for farmers, particularly dairy farmers, to become infected through their cows as they are handling them on a daily basis and are more likely to come into contact with the urine.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
In that case, Ronney, I'm glad the critters and I take DE!

I must admit, tho, I've never heard of the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts