Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Pickup that is not street Legal.Use it around here to Hunt from and haul Deer out of the woods.Plus I use it to go get Firewood about 3 miles down the road.

Ok I know could get in bunch of trouble if I got caught or had a wreck.This is the only time I get it out on the road is to haul wood.

I could get another Pickup,it will cost $2,000-$3,000.I would have to Insure it and all.

Do any of you do the same? My DF did it all the time.

I have another Pickup that is Street Legal but it is my go to town Pickup,and I don't care for it as far as hauling anything.

big rockpile

·
Unapologetically me
20,828 Posts
Heck, have an old 4WD that's not licensed that I use around the farm, and drive to work in bad weather.
One of these days I'll get a couple things fixed on it and license it, but for now there's no need.

·
Stableboy III
426 Posts
Don't know about where you are, but around here, you can register vehicles at different levels of "Farm Truck" - the bottom level does not require an inspection of any kind. However, you must keep within a 10 mile radius of your farm. If that is available, it would work nicely.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
I use my tractor with a trailer like you are using your truck. I've had Sheriff Deputies pass me or meet me on the road, and all they do is wave. I do use the tractor emergency blinkers with a caution sign on the back whenever I get on the public road.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ramblin Wreck said:
I use my tractor with a trailer like you are using your truck. I've had Sheriff Deputies pass me or meet me on the road, and all they do is wave. I do use the tractor emergency blinkers with a caution sign on the back whenever I get on the public road.
We can use a Tractor here no problem.

I had a Deputy Sheriff in this Pickup,took him a couple hollers over to serve Papers.He left finger holes in the dash.

big rockpile

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Consider a trailer to get the firewood. I bought one about 11 years ago. Made from the bed and rear wheels of a pickup. Paid $50. Still going strong.

·
Banned
4,808 Posts
if you use it as primarily as a farm vehicle, you can put a triangle on the backside and drive it on a main road here, under 20mpg, to and from adjacent/close property you are working on or at.
here it would be considered an "on farm vehicle" and just the same as a tractor, as equipment.

check with the state cops and the county there to see whoat the laws are on roa use of farm equipment.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Driving without tags or insurance is illegal here, period. But I'm wondering at your $2,000-3,000 truck pricetag. I just picked up a barn-find 1982 Datsun stretch cab diesel with 88,000 miles on it, a cap, longbed, and no rust for $500. I'll have about a grand in it when I get it roadworthy and running. It has not run for 2 years. All I have on ANY of my vehicles is liability insurance, the cheapest legal kind here. Might cost me $350 a year to insure it to make it road legal.

Now if I add up the price of the tickets for no tags, no insurance, and not roadworthy, it makes it worthwhile to get it right as cheaply as possible and run it legally.

My other question is, what would it take to make your existing pickup road legal? In most states, operating lights, signals, brake system, no windshield cracks and having seats belts if it came with them is about it for the basics. Maybe you can find a derlict parts truck and bolt together a 2-into-1 cheap that's legal.

I love cheap cars. To me, it's a challenge to see just how cheap I can get an old beater running and on the road, then run it into the ground.

·
Registered
305 Posts
big rockpile, As long as both your pickups are running, you don't need a thing! Like you I have one legal to go to town with and one with no license to use around the farm....but it's broke right now. So I've been using my "good" truck & it sure gets ratted up fast.

·
1 acre homesteaders
864 Posts
Or just find a derelict mechanic that doesn't mind overlooking a few things. We had one local until he got his inspection license pulled. We now have a "farm truck" that only has to have lights and brakes, and has to stay within 20 miles of home.
mark

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
"I just picked up a barn-find 1982 Datsun stretch cab diesel with 88,000 miles on it, a cap, longbed, and no rust for $500."

Sounds like an ideal vehicle to run on biodiesel.

ENVY - ENVY - ENVY

·
Unapologetically me
20,828 Posts
What "inspection" is everybody talking about?
When I was in high school, they used to make us have inspection stickers once a year. The tires had to have 1/8 inch tread, the exhaust had to exit behind and outside the passenger compartment, the windshield had to be semi transparent and the lights needed to work.
We don't have that anymore, but is that what you guys are talking about?

·
Semper Fidelis
4,609 Posts
Well in California, you would wind up paying a couple of grand if the "Man" caught you illegally driving it on the public road that way. Just bite the bullet and spend a few bucks to make it street legal and get insurance on your truck. I have a 67 Ford F-100 with a campershell, 1969 Ford F-100 with side racks, and my 1986 GMC S-15 Jimmy 4X4 for tooling around the property and getting in and out when it snows occasionally up here on the hill. All my vehicles are registered and fully insured..... :baby04:

When in doubt, get legal!!!! You will save yourself a lot of headaches and court costs/ fines!!!! My father did the same as you proposed in your post, but hey - that was back in the 1960's about 40 years ago... :shrug:

·
1 acre homesteaders
864 Posts
Yes, that is the inspection that we are discussing. It is worse in some states, emissions tests, all that garbage. In Maine, it is a bit overdone for my taste.The basics can be found here, http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statutes/29-A/title29-Asec1756.html that is worth a read, but is not all inclusive. I hear CA is much worse, but I just found out that new revisions make it so that if you have an option, it must work. Example would be if you have power windows, they must work. You do not need a rear window wiper, but if you have one, it must work including the washer squirter. Seems to be a bit ridiculous.

mark

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
JimS is my twin I'm sure of it now. I keep my on farm vehicle/s near street legal and just get the inspection/paper done up if I need to replace wreck on the road. I'm prety sure you could use a truck as an ag machine under 30kph and properly signed and lighted, but I have farm insurance too so it'd be listed there as a machine before it hit the road.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Ross said:
JimS is my twin I'm sure of it now. I keep my on farm vehicle/s near street legal and just get the inspection/paper done up if I need to replace wreck on the road. I'm prety sure you could use a truck as an ag machine under 30kph and properly signed and lighted, but I have farm insurance too so it'd be listed there as a machine before it hit the road.
Don't want to hijack the thread Ross, but be careful. In Ontario, you can treat a truck as an ag machine only if it's been semi-permanently modified so it can ONLY be used for an agricultural purpose. Put a manure spreader on the back of it, or a forage box, or a gravity box, and you can put an SMV sign and lights on it and treat it as a farm vehicle. Leave the stock box on it, or any form of flatbed, dump box, van, etc. that can possibly be used for hauling something other than farm purposes, and it has to be fully licensed. My neighbour thought he could use a flatbed on his truck for hauling hay with an SMV without having to license it, driving half a mile between farms. $5000 fine plus several thousand more to fight it and lose.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well it needs Brakes,Lights,Wipers, Exhaust,Front Window,Tires,Horn,One back Spring,and work on Rearend.Oh and Door Handle. :shrug: Thats all I can think of.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Well if you have a wreck off your place and it requires a Police officer, you will get a ticket. You can drive it on your place without a license or insurance.

I would buy a better one that I could license and also get me a trailer or make one from the old truck that you are talking about to haul wood in.

We have 3 flat bed trailers, 1 stock trailer and a truck bed trailer to haul stuff in.

Oh yeah, make sure your lights work on your trailers, trooper pulled us over one night when ours wasn't working. Dh told him the ground must not be making a good conection and Dh went back there and moved the trailer hitch up and down a bit and it made a conection and the lights started working, so the trooper was happy and let us go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts