Do I sense some religion here?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by steve-in-kville, Nov 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville Raised Bed Artist

I've been browsing these forums for weeks, and I've read many comments that would reflect a sense of religion among the members here... things like "if God wills," good karma, etc.

I also see many people yearning for (and enjoying) a "simple" lifestyle, living off the grid, being self-sufficient and so on.

I am curious... what religions are represented here? If you're not comfortable answering, that's fine, no one's trying to convert you! Is your decision to homestead (or live simply) linked to your religion at all? Do you attribute your success (or failure) to an omni-potent being (God, Mohammed, Buddhist, etc)

I'm of the Christian faith as I'm sure many others here are too. I am interested in hearing what bearing a person's religion has on their "oneness with the land."

steve

2. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

i'm one of the few agnostics.

btw what is amni-potent?

3. steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville Raised Bed Artist

Ooops, I meant omni-potent... I fixed it. Thanks!!

steve

4. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

I'm a simple follower of Jesus, at least I try.

Just curious ... which "brand" of christian are you?

5. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

i was guessing, but wasnt sure if it was a new word i hadn't heard yet. btw, no hyphen.

as long as no one is 7th day adventists (or spinoffs) or those other kooky religions I like them all. Baptists cook the best food and Catholics get the best wine :D

6. Dylan

Dylan Pontifex Minimus

Non-Judeo-Christian. My religious flavour would take some explaining though, and that begets more explaining. I'll save myself the trouble.

7. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

My desire to homestead isn't based on religion, it's based on the desire to be as self sufficient as possible. It's a good feeling to be able to gather eggs from our chickens and have food on the hoof waundering about the yard or in their respective abodes. Harvesting animals can be a big chore but is well worth the effort. Gardening is an enjoyable challenge and most of the time you get something good to eat or put by. To me, all that work is worth it to be able to see the fruits of my labor and the satisfaction of knowing I can and did do it.

8. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Steve there are many, many threads over in General Chat about religion. I would say all religions are represented on this forum. (and non-religions). Stick around and you'll see that Religion is a personal thing and sharing homesteading knowledge is a passion that is clearly demonstrated in the quality of the post and posters.

Kenneth in NC

9. Fjolnirsson2

Fjolnirsson2 Dark Overlord

What religion? For lack of a better word, Asatru, though I tend to shy away from that word, as I've lately met a lot of folks who use the label but don't follow the faith. It's a modern day reconstruction of the faith followed by the germans and northern peoples. It does stress self reliance and industriousness, so I guess you could say it's influenced me a bit in terms of what this forum is all about..

10. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I am a Christian, and so I believe that God gave mankind this world as a gift.

And, I must say, I am enjoying my little corner of His gift! :dance:

11. navygirl

navygirl Well-Known Member

I'm a Gaelic Traditionalist. I look to a pantheon of the ancient Irish Gods and also view them as ancestors. They teach me the right way to live.

One of our ways is to form a tight bond with the land. Proper management and stewardship of the land keeps it fertile and healthy. In return, we reap the rewards of the harvest.

Another of our ways concerns the importance of family. My family is the entity that defines the worth of my word. I wouldn't want to do anything that would shame my family or my ancestors. But all deeds of courage and valor and right living bring honor to our home.

So now I've gone and completely outed myself. :D

12. mamacags

mamacags Well-Known Member

Nondenominational fudamentalist conservative bible thumping Christian from the Hellfire and Brimstone side of the family. :cowboy:

13. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

I'd have to say that's how we feel too. God led us to this property and has blessed us greatly.

14. Fjolnirsson2

Fjolnirsson2 Dark Overlord

That's a very nice way of putting it. :cool:
    Substitute Norse where you said Gaelic and Irish, and it describes my outlook perfectly. :viking:

15. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

I'm also a christian, but glad to be in a forum that welcomes everybody. That's a good thing.

Happy thanksgiving

16. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Pagan.

Yes.

No.

:)

17. Dylan

Dylan Pontifex Minimus

Hey, Asatru, Forn Sidr... sweet, as long as I don't have to explain it.

18. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Pantheistic Existentialist

No

No

19. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

Deeply faithful but not quite sure to what or Whom.

Kinda, in retrospect, I guess everything's influenced by my faith and values.

Hmm. Some days yes, some days no.

Does that make things any clearer?

Thought so!

Beaux

20. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

I also notice much religeon here, and more here than any other non-religeous site I have read. I think religeon definately has its place within society. However I don't follow any faith. To be honest I notice a HUGE difference between Americans and Canadians in this respect. In Canada I personally don't know of anyone who goes to church, however I have friends who were raised in a family with catholic/christian heritage, but it seems not to be followed, no prayer at dinner/church sundays, etc etc. There certainly are religeous people here I just don't know any. It certainly has helped a lot of people. I was just brought up spending time in the mountains with my family. I suppose the mountains are my church. My mom mentioned one time that her God is the Great Out Doors. I guess it rubbed off. Hiking into the alpine. Fresh mountain air.

This is partly why I needed to leave the city behind. The main reason though is that the city isn't for me. I have nothing to "do" in the city. I go to it every 3 months or so to visit relatives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.