Do I plant iris in the fall or spring

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by happy@home, Aug 22, 2005.

1. happy@home

happy@home Well-Known Member

I'm in zone 5 in Wisconsin if it matters. I can't believe I'm drawing a blank on this.

2. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not sure which type of Iris you are growing but 90 percent should be divided and planted in the fall. If you know which types you have, I have an Iris book and can give you more infor., some need to dug and transplanted in winter or early spring. Hope that helps.

3. happy@home

happy@home Well-Known Member

I don't have a clue as to what I have but I do know I want to get some more because they are so beautiful for the short time that they bloom. What is the name of your iris book? Maybe I can get it from the library and figure out what I have. It sounds like Fall is the best bet for dividing and planting since I don't know what they are at this point. Thanks for the help.

4. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

The book is put out by Sunset, Growing Irises is what it is called.

5. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

@When you guys divide these, do you chop the green tops off first?

6. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

It's traditional to cut the fans of bearded iris back into an inverted "V" shape - leaving about 6-8" of green - when you divide them to help prevent the heavy fans from toppling over and pulling up the roots before they've re-rooted themselves, but it's not necessary if the fans aren't too big and the roots are long enough to anchor them until they grow new roots. This late in the year, I'd probably cut them back since the growing season is almost over anyway and to prevent any shifting of the rhizome and roots during this critical root-growing time.

:) Diana

7. suelandress

Thank you. I know they aren't bearded iris....I think I've seen them in catalogues as wild iris? Not sure....but they sure do multiply!!

8. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

Hi Sue,

What color are the blooms? If they're yellow, and a rampant grower, it's likely Iris pseudacorus. It can be a garden thug - NH has put it on the noxious weed list. Once established, it just about takes dynamite to get it out of the ground, and it spreads readily by both rhizomes and seeds. But it's pretty!

If it's purple, it could be any number of others - a Siberian, I. versicolor or I. virginica would be the most likely candidates.

All of the above will thank you for giving them more water than the beardeds get - especially after they've been replanted. You can lop the foliage back when you plant them if you wish - they tend to get really sloppy looking and busted up when they're moved if you don't. As with beardeds, leave about 6-8" of foliage.

Hope this helps!
    Diana (A certifiable iris nut! :D )

9. suelandress

Some are purple and some are blue.....and by your description, I'm glad they aren't yellow! :D