Do I need to supplement?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Mouse, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Mouse

Mouse Well-Known Member

Hello,

We woke up yesterday morning to find 2 new lambs on the ground. Spot, a black Barbados had had twins over night. One brown girl and a tiny black boy. We checked for milk but couldn't get any out. Jon turned Spot over and found evidence of milk on one teat, so she could have been holding it up from us. I checked them throughout the day and they had warm mouths and full bellies. I finally saw them nursing, but it appears they are both using only 1 teat. Do I need to supplement them with milk replacer? or will they do just fine with the 1?

Thanks,
    Mouse

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You simply have to keep an eye on them to see for sure. Some sheep can raise triplets and quads with two teats so perhaps yours will be fine with 2 on 1. I'd try to get milk out of the otehr side again, perhaps there is a waxy plug that must be worked out? Do you creep feed the lambs?

3. Mouse

Mouse Well-Known Member

OK, thanks, we'll try that tonight. No, we don't specifically creep feed, we put down feed for everyone and the lambs eat with their mamas. We believe our "darling" goats would destroy the creep feeder to get to the food, not to mention the chickens scratching around in it. So far everyone is doing well.