Do I need to separate doe when she kids?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by WolfSoul, Oct 18, 2004.

1. WolfSoul

WolfSoul Well-Known Member

My Nubian doe that is getting ready to kid is "bagging up." My friend who is helping me says that means she will probably deliver within a week. Do I need to isolate her from the herd so they don't harm the kids? If so, what does she need? I have several portable small dog kennels (4X6) or bigger that I think would work well. HELP! "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies!!!!!!!" :haha:

Karen

2. miclew

miclew Well-Known Member

1st thing... Baggin up isn't always an accurate sign. Some does bag up very early in the pregnancy and other don't until they actually give birth.

2nd thing... I normally do take my momma and new baby out for a couple of days. I want some time to really eval how the baby is doing and to make sure the momma is a good momma to the baby. I also want to make sure the momma gets plenty to eat without having to fight for it. Our property is crossed fenced so I can just put her in a different part of the property. I leave one of the Australian Shepards in with the new momma to give her and the baby protection.

However, some momma goats don't like this arrangement. Some are very herd oriented and will want to be with the others. You certainly don't have to remove them. It is good if you have plenty of space though. Less chance of a baby getting trampled.

Michele

3. miclew

miclew Well-Known Member

I forgot to say that I let them deliver in with the other goats, then I take momma and baby out. The momma will go off by herself to have the baby any way. We have the goats on 14 acres. Most of it is wooded with some open pasture around the pond. They always go back off in the woods to have thei babies. I make sure the dogs are in with the goats 24 hours a day when I know one of them is close. I worry about foxes.

michele

4. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Hi Karen! how exciting!! babies, I can hardly wait for them myself.. :)
    All things considered, If she is in with does who are her friends/siblings, then I wouldn't separate them.. just keep an eye on them, they will be curious and eventually go to visit.. just make sure every one's behaving, no meanies! :no:
    I have a nice sized barn that mine kid in, and during labor, everyone will usually stand away and watch, including me. When the baby finally arrives, I'll go make sure it's ok and remove the goo from it's face and then let it rest.. usally by then the other one's on the way.. keep an eye out, make sure they nurse, that her uddder isn't too swollen for them to get the teat in their mouth, if it is, milk her out a bit and save that colostrum! :) and hang out with the new kids, loving on them and petting them as much as possible..that'll keep 'em pretty tame.
    My doe's won't go out to pasture for at least a few days while the wee one is getting used to it's legs.. and then the doe's are always calling to keep it close..
    Now some does don't care, and will leave their kids to join the herd if the herd has gone to the pasture, if this is the case, then you may need to corral her for a couple of days just to make sure she's bonding with the baby...
    But all that said.. congratulations and enjoy!!

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

my experience has been that the buck smells the blood and thinks the doe is in season, and will NOT leave her alone. lost a couple of babies because of it. i now isolate doe and baby for the first couple of days to prevent it, as well as for the reasons given above.

6. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

I never thought about that, 'cause I don't own any bucks. The only ones in the barn are the other girls and a couple of wethers and me...

7. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I take my babies from the mom's, and pasturize the milk, then feed ti to the babies. ad one doe, that had three, she feed two, and pushed one of the girls aside. So now i know that they all get the same amount.