Do hawks screech all night long?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Marilyn in CO, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

I guess it's a hawk but really not sure. Every night for the past couple weeks a bird starts screeching about every couple minutes and it goes on all night. We have seen a hawk in the yard during the day perched and flying here and there. In all our years here I can never remember a bird making so much noise at night. It makes our dog howl all night too. What's up with this hawk? Is there anything I can do to make it stop......other than shooting it, which I won't do but feel like it......it's dang loud and annoying.

2. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

The only birds I have ever heard call at night are owls and mockingbirds. Is it a screech owl or some other owl? Could yours perhaps be a mockingbird? They sometimes sing/squawk all night. Also I have heard bluejays sound like hawks, could it be one? How odd for you.

3. IowaLez

IowaLez Glowing in The Sun Supporter

Since 12/14 in Osceola, IA. Before that 6 yrs in f
    Hawks don't screech at night. It's an owl. I moved to No CA and I thought some one was being murdered that first night. It was just a small screech owl. The sound was much louder than I imagined an owl could make.

4. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

It is most likely an owl. It is probably screeching all night to try to drive the hawk out of it's territory. If you can get the hawk to go someplace else, the owl should settle down. Owls are great at keeping the rodent population down so I would try to try to keep the owl happy and quiet.

5. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Screech owls and or hoot owls here, too. They started in last night. Their "song" is wierd, isn't it?

NeHi Mama

6. sweetcountrygrl

sweetcountrygrl Well-Known Member

My vote is for screech owl. They sure can make quite a racket! :) I love the sounds of owls at night. We always had them around where I grew up and it reminds me of being a kid and going for night hikes with my dad.

7. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

I just had a hoot owl on the railing outside my window 2 nites ago.he stayed ther for almost an hr..very loud,but kinda cool.

8. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

owl is my opinion. I could not sleep the other night, there was a regular owl concert. Just awful.. I think it is their time to sing lovesongs, establish their territory etc. I know that they are not on a spring schedule as regualr songbirds are. Have to ask my Dad, he knows stuff like that.

9. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

I hope it is a short time chorus for you and your family. Screech owls sounds would be difficult for anyone to go to sleep by.

I thought I liked the sounds of a whipporwill until I realized it's a dust to dawn thing for them also :(

Hope the hawk leaves, or your owl finds a mate, or whatever it will take for him to shut up.

Hugs
    marlene