Do goats play 'chase'?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by birdie_poo, Apr 12, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

We have a goat, named Molly. She's an adult Nubian, we got her because she doesn't deliver live babies anymore, and just wanted a pet.

Some time, when we approach her, she runs away, then turns to look at us. Now, this is not your normal, HEY I'M SPOOKED run, she flops her head and ears and kind of hop/runs like an antelope. We think it's kind of cute, and sort of think it's like a game, at least it is for us.

Not knowing much about goats, does this sound like normal behavior?

PS, she loves the dogs and we can tell she wants to play with them, but they prefer to dig for gophers, or get spooked that she is trying to hurt them.

2. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

Yep, they play chase, tag and sometimes even leap frog. :haha: Have fun.

3. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

Mine play all those games and more, they make up new ones every day. It is pretty funny when they get so excited they faint and fall over. I die laughin every time. They are fainting goats. Does she have a buddy, if not i would indeed get her one. It doesnt have to be the same breed, just a goat that would want to play and be with another goat.
    This is probally why she is trying to play with doggy.
    Hope This Helps.
    Lyn

4. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Oooooh Yes!! My 6 month old is like that. She plays tag, chases her tail, jumps up & kicks out, twirls around-she's lots of fun to watch! She'll run away as fast as she can, then run around us, then walk stiffly to us & sniff us to make sure it's okay. She's a hoot! She has other goats and gets along well with them, but she just prefers us to them.

My kids left my slider door open one day, and she climbed up on my couch & took a nap with my husband! He was surprised I'll tell ya. She's spoiled rotten, but we wouldn't have it any other way.

5. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

yes goats, and for that matter all animals Play, its an important part of development, i dont know why people accept that cats and dogs play, but consider it odd to think any other animal does, watch calves in the fields, or colts, they play, and YES adult cows play too , as do pigs :D
    play is imporant , good thing for us "grown up" humans to remeber too .... :D

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

My oldest goat races around in a circle and then stops and stares at me. Then I race around in a circle, stop, and stare at him. The game continues until I'm tired or he finds a really tasty patch of clover, whichever comes first.

A different goat plays "soccer." He'll paw at an old ball and then butt it over to me. Then I kick it and he chases the ball and bounces around in a circle before pawing at it and butting it over to me again.

Aren't they fun?

7. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I had about three weanling wethers one year that played chase with my young and active son. He'd chase them a little ways, turn around and run, and they'd chase him. All had a jolly good time while I did chores. They're the only ones I had that did it, but my son also outgrew it.
    mary

8. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

My son's buck is like that. He loves to play. He will sneak up behind you and ever so gently head butt you. It doesn't hurt, he is just letting you know he tagged you. If you catch him before he gets to head butt you, he will stop and stare out as if what? I didn't do anything! The other day we looked out and saw our Stud Horse laying in the corral and the goat was standing on top of him. Then he jumped off kicked out and did a little twirl, run around the horse and then jumped back on him and did it all over again.

9. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

If you want to find out whether she's playing, run away from her. If she chases you, she's playing. You can take turns chasing each other.

10. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Our two does and buck play chase, "king of the hill" (on a free spool from the phone company); and other kinds of games where they run run run and then stop abruptly...they are such fun to watch!

11. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

She never chases...she wont go towards me, but when I leave the yard, she'll walk out with her head high and ears perked up. That's why I think she's playing, rather than thinking how fast she needs to run from this lunatic!

12. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Our three-year-old doe loves those chase games. She's a very silly, playful creature - except now, when she's in Serious Mommy Mode. Can't let the kids see you having any fun, I guess!

13. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Our goats play chase with our dog too. They take turns chasing each other. Sure made me nervous the first time I saw the dog chasing the goats around, but then the next time they came around, the goats were doing the chasing. It was hysterical to watch. They were at it for nearly an hour before they got too tired and quit. The baby goats got into the act recently too, but I didn't let the dog join in since she is a little wild sometimes. The babies cheat by running out through the gap between the fence post and the gate. Silly goaties.