Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i posted this thread yesterday but it never actually posted for some reason. not sure why it would need approval since its just a simple question about feritlity. figured id try to post it again.

hi there i was thinking of buying an adult kunekune boar and found one that fits the bill but is unwattled. to sweeten the deal the lady, who is moving, said she'd throw in a nice gilt she hadn't managed to get pregnant. she sent pictures and she is so cute. but i have read places that if they skip too many cycles that they become infertile. is this true? we'd take her anyway for meat at least but itd be ice to get some piglets out of her she's very nice. i am interested in trying AI, giving her shots, or also giving her beer i read that can work. but of course it wont work if shes infertile. the lady said the boar has tried but she won't stand for him. could mean hind leg problems but she looks well formed to me. any ideas?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,888 Posts
She has issues, either hormone or something. Free is expensive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah it seems not standing is a somewhat common problem for gilts. the lady didnt realy try to breed her tho, im wondering if she grew up with the boar. in our case it wont be expensive as all we need to do is pick her up and house her for a couple months while we try different things. of course if she's barren and we manage to get her bred that wont matter.

is there an age limit for a gilt getting pregnant? i simply cant seem to find an answer.

·
40,888 Posts
They live 15years or more. If she is cycling, she could be fertile for ten years or so.

In my experience with various farm animals, one who doesn’t “take” has fertility issues that are a pain in the patookus to deal with, PLUS you don’t want that genetic problem perpetuated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had definitely considered that whatver is the problem might be passed genetically. i have read about other reasons that a gilt wont get pregnant so figured we'd give it a try. we just wouldnt sell any gilts as breeding stock in case it is genetic tho.

she is cycling as far as i know, just wont stand. ive read about people giving her beer or putting them in a chute for the boar. doesn't hurt to try. i am very keen to try AI as well. as long as she's not barren from being empty for so long. ive only read about that on forums tho, cant find any other sources to back tht up.

·
40,888 Posts
“Female refusal. Sows or gilts in estrus may occasionally refuse a boar, particularly a young boar. For this reason mature boars are better teasers. Gilts that aggressively refuse the male should be culled as undesirable genetic stock. Shy gilts that simply avoid the boar when in estrus may breed normally with additional boar experience. However, it is more desirable to select replacement gilts that readily express estrous behavior at an early age. Sows or gilts that object to entry of the boar may have cervical, vaginal or urethral damage from prior breeding or farrowing.”

1 - 6 of 6 Posts