Do Funeral Homes Remove Gold from Teeth before Burial ?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by fordy, Feb 10, 2013.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............This a question I've always been curious about ! Can a Relative ask a Mortican to remove Gold appliances form a deceased person teeth after the funeral but before burial ? And , remembering some of the crimes that crooked funeral homes have participated in , in the past a member of the family might want to 'Check' their deceased person to make sure all their dental work is still 'in tact' .
    ...............Also , this question is even more appropriate if one is having a relative creamated , and the gold or whatever is just going 'up' the chimney so to speak . , fordy

2. simi-steading

simi-steading Well-Known Member Supporter

Legally i would imagine no.. that would seem to be theft... I would bet if you asked them to remove it and give it to you they can.
    It's not easy to sell dental gold either... Most gold brokers won't take it.. It's not the same as jewelry. Completely different metallurgy involved..

3. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Good luck opening that mouth! And isn't the funeral USUALLY followed pretty closely by the burial?

Mon

Common Tator likes this.
  4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........Learn something new every day ! I suppose if one had discussed the subject with their 'Whomever' and it was preagreed too , it might be OK ! Although , maybe not worth the effort . Besides , Uncle Fred would sound kinda funny with his front teeth missing at the Heavenly cafteria ! , fordy

5. salmonslayer

salmonslayer Well-Known Member Supporter

There have been several recent cases where funeral homes have stolen gold crowns and jewelry but I think that is very rare. Personally I think it makes little sense to bury someone with a bunch of jewelry but removing Uncle Fred's gold teeth seems a bit ghoulish and he might come back to haunt ya! :eek:

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............Well , that was kinda what I was thinking , but none of my few remaining relatives have any gold crowns anyway so I was asking a generalized question . , fordy

7. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

I told my dh I am going to get a pair of pliers and pull that gold myself before the mortician ever sees him. I don't know if I really could or not but he's not going to the crematorium with a gold crown.

fordy likes this.
  8. simi-steading

I have a gold crown I lost I've tried to sell... It's not so easy to sell dental gold..

9. Yldrosie

Yldrosie Well-Known Member

There are businesses that do nothing BUT buy used dental gold. They reprocesses somehow.

10. simi-steading

Yes, they do.. but around here I couldn't find a place. I would have to mail it off, and I really don't want to be mailing gold... Some day I'm sure I'll find someone local.

11. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

My dad was given gold fillings from his mother's teeth after she died. This was in 1979.

12. hercsmama

hercsmama Well-Known Member

My mom just passed away this past July 4th. I had her cremated as she wanted. The funeral home not only gave me her wedding ring, they also gave me four gold crowns.
    Btw, they called and told me that they had to be removed as it, there's no delicate way to put this, it "messes up the ovens.":huh:

13. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

You beat me to it, with more and more people using cremation they can't have those things left on.

14. Common Tator

Common Tator Uber Tuber

When my FIL died in 1994, he was cremated. Hubby was given his wedding ring and gold dental appliances in a red velvet bag by the funeral home.

15. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Kinda off topic but, one of my Uncles came back from the Pacific campaign with a cigar box full of Japanese dental gold. He had been pretty badly wounded , was very bitter about it, and that was justification enough. Did I mention he was a little strange when he returned?

16. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

One of my neighbors that died a few years ago was cremated. He had 2 metal hip replacements. I can't even imagine the butchery entailed in removing them, if they had to be removed.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
    scooter and danielsumner like this.
  17. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I have several gold teeth in my possession that came from my Grandparent's house. It would have been from one of my Grandmother's relatives.

This would have been back in the "old days" when home viewings were popular. I'm not sure who took them out. (I'm surprised it wouldn't be some kind of crime - you know - abuse of a corpse, but what they do to you to embalm you . . . . . . .)

I'm fairly certain you would have to tell the mortician you want the teeth BEFORE the funeral. The mortician would pull them during the embalming process, because I'm fairly certain they close the mouth with sutures or some similar thing. And if you choose to leave them in your loved one, I would guess you just have to trust the mortician.

As for the jewelry - if you want the deceased to be buried with jewelry - you can ask after the funeral to be present when the casket is closed and sealed.

Good question though. Anyone on here a mortician or a family member or close friend that is one?

18. danielsumner

danielsumner Daniel Supporter

They are removed from the oven after cremation. They run a magnet over the remains and sort for other items that are not magnetic before the remaining brittle bone is ground up in a urn with what looks like a big stick blender. Years ago the brittle bone fragments were turned in a small drum like contraption to the desired consistency . A myth is that the oven contains ashes. What is left is larger bones and joints along with the teeth. These are ground to ash if the person is to be scattered, coarser if not. Pace makers and the like are removed before the burn. I've watch many cremations, it is clean and dignified.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  19. northergardener

northergardener Well-Known Member

I was told by a dentist that it wasn't worth it for the small amount of gold in a filling or crown.

scooter likes this.
  20. Oldcountryboy

Oldcountryboy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not sure if this holds in every state, but I was told that here in my state of Oklahoma that they cannot bury gold, jewlry, service award metals with the body anymore due to grave robbers.