Do does get grouchier when they're pregnant?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by HoosierDeb, Mar 14, 2005.

1. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I have my first 3 rabbits. A week ago, I bred my older doe to my buck. Had tried it 2 times before with a different buck, just putting her in there and leaving her for a while and never got any babies so this time I held her for him and we got two good breedings and a possible. Now, when I reach in her cage she tries to attack me. Either she's mad about the breeding thing or (hopefully) shes bred. Anybody have a rabbit that does that?

2. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Yeah, does can get more grouchy and protective when they're bred. Our first litter was mixed and accidental. We went away on vacation and one of the sweetest rabbits turned mean on the caregiver. When we came back- babies. Good Luck!

3. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

That's odd, I replied to this earlier.... OH well, I'll try again.

Xandras is right, it they can get more grouchy. She could also just be mad at you, I have had does do that to me as well. I would just put her in with the buck again next time, and watch, see if she breeds. If she breeds once you can leave her for 15 minutes or so so the buck has a chance to breed her again. If she is real stubborn, and over time will not breed, do exactly what you did. She has a lower chance of getting bred, but they still can, obviously. :) Good luck.

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

hormonal changes during pregnancy can make the nicest animals mean ....

that would be my guess, you held her and saw your boy do the deed, so you know shes bred , i would just wear my leather gloves and long sleeves when working iwht this doe, leave her alone, thats what her hormones are telling her she needs

5. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

Thanks all. She's... standoffish... at the least anyway, and tends to pout when she doesn't like what is going on but she's so much more agressive now. I was hoping it was a good sign. After I held her for the buck she acted like she was wanting more... all over him while he was resting and even mounting him and going through the motions so I doubt she's mad, unless it's because I took her out!!! I'll just leave her alone and wear gloves when I have to reach in for her dish to feed her. I don't know what I'm doing yet so palpating her would probably just make her madder and not tell me anything anyway... I'll just be patient (HA!) and wait until the 31st to see if she kindles.