Do chickens eat ticks also?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., May 23, 2004.

1. A few years ago I got rid of all my dogs, built a chicken coop, and bought a bunch of chicks. I kept those chickens for 4 or 5 years and noticed that I didn't have a tick on the place anywhere. Well I got rid of the chickens cause I was kind of tired of all the hassle that went along with raising them. The abundant eggs I couldn't sell fast enough to the thieves who would still one every once in a while to the neighborhood dog shootings which caused relatives and friends to turn to enemies. Then I got dogs once again. Last year I had so many ticks on my place I decided to get rid of all my dogs except one which I now keep on a chain. This year as last year, I have so many ticks that I just can't get rid of them no matter what I do. I have spread diazon tick crystals 3 times all around my place and I still have ticks. It seems to only last about 2 weeks and then they start getting thick again. I'm just down right tired of the battle with them. I can't go feed my pigs without getting loaded with them every morning. I can't let my children play out in the yard without them getting loaded.

I'm starting to think I don't care if they lay to many eggs or I have to start killing the neighborhood dogs again. I don't want anymore ticks. I know that guinneas are good tick control but I'm afraid they will take off with my neigbors guinneas and I will never see them again. I have neighbors about a quarter of a mile from me who own guinneas and they come around about once a week. Not enough to control the ticks here on my place. So maybe I'll just get back into the chicken business once again.

(sorry for the rant)

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

try getting some game hens in with the regular laying hens they will also set as well as forage for goodies (ticks) and are determined birds to boot , ducks also will eat the vermin, you wil want muscovies if you get some. they make a good size duck (use the extra males ) for holiday dinners.

3. bergere

bergere Just living Life

That is OK RH,, rant all you want. :D I have had to deal with loads of ticks in the past, so understand where you are coming from.

Yes, Chickens will eat ticks and any other bug they can catch. Will even eat termites and carpenter ants, which is a good thing!

4. heidith

heidith Well-Known Member

AND you can train your Guineas to go to the coop every night if you keep them confined for six weeks in that coop. NO LESS. I got 10 one year old Guineas from a friend in February two years ago. I put them in an unheated, unlit coop for six weeks with my silver-laced wyandotte hen for six weeks. They were not allowed out at all. Now, they eat every durn tick on the place (and we are absolutely INFESTED) and come home every single night. In addition I got seven more hens and they eat ticks too. It's great!
    Heidi

5. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I know where you are coming from, fought those little sobs for years. What you have to do is clean them out with either chickens or grass fire (let grass grow up in fall and burn jjust before it gets too green for fire in spring). Then treat your dogs regularly with Frontline or equivalent so ticks dont just build up again. Frontline not cheap but it works. Can get good deal on it off ebay if you are patient. Fire and frontline worked for me.

Any warm blooded animal is a tick propagator. I've seen deer walk through here in summer with big clusters of ticks hanging off them. Mostly its domestic animals. Remember when I first came down here looking at land. Some was infested with ticks and other no ticks at all. Asked real estate lady and she said those places with lot ticks probably were used as cow or horse pasture in recent years.

Only real joy I had from the heavy tick years is one summer had car load of fancy dressed religion folk trying to sell me their brand. Well I stood out there in driveway where ticks were heaviest concentration to talk to them. The women suddenly looked startled and got back into their fancy 4wd quick like, but the man talking to me stood his ground. I could feel them climbing on me so knew he was getting plenty (they seem to really like city folk with no resistance built up). Just kept asking him a bunch of innocent questions. He finally just handed me the literature and left. Never seen them around since. Maybe now in their hallowed hall, I am known as the devil with his minion horde of little demons.

6. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Oh yeah ... well I bought 2 guineas and only kept them locked up for 2 nights like I do with chickens. I let them free range through the next day ... they free ranged alright ... right on out of sight! Found a pile of guinea feathers 2-3 days later about 1/2 mile away. Wished I'd have read this FIRST!

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Treating my dogs with Frontline decreased the population by great amounts with no other effort on my part.

8. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

My chickens will eat ticks, mice, frogs, pretty much any thing they can get their beaks on! A friend of ours was joking that the guys on the Sopranos should just throw their victims in the chicken coop to dispose of the evidence. Fry up the extra eggs and feed them to the dog!

9. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Didn't the Sopranos characters do that with a hog pen? Or am I mixing my TV references?

10. Gimpy_Magoo

Gimpy_Magoo Well-Known Member

Thats Deadwood... (GREAT SHOW !!!!!! )
    on right after the sopranos :)