Do Cattle Gaps Work???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RedHogs, Sep 22, 2006.

1. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

It seem all we have on here is bad neighbor stories, but i am trying to fix mine. Our neighboris running 25 cows on 50+- acres and fed maybe 20 rolls last year. They get out all the time and look like they have come out of a concentration camp they are so thin. They have and easement through one of our fields. The easement issue has been settled legally, it our land we control it and that problem has been settled, The last problem is his cows free range over our farm. They can only escape down the easement driveway. We maintain good fence so the cows graze our landscaping and mown areas. This can be quite embarrasing when you have a farm visitor and Redneck bob's cows come down and eat the tulips. I have been given a railrod tie gap. I will pay to have this installed if necessary, but will it work???

2. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

It will work if installed properly. Make sure the cows do not have a way to get around it.

3. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

They work pretty well but a cow that really wants on the other side (hungry) can jump it. Doesn't happen often though.

4. texican

texican Well-Known Member

In the Great State of Texas, you call the sheriff or the constable, if it's a recurring problem... they'll hire someone to catch the livestock and pen them... then if the owner wants his/her animals, they pay for the catch fee and the feed bill... and a 'catch fee' can be a couple hundred bucks per critter, depending on how ornery they are... and the fees will be paid, or the animal goes to the sale barn.

Once a cow starts jumpin fence, they won't stop till they reach McDonalds. Not ol McDonalds, but Mickey D's. :rolleyes:

5. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

Not to seem ignorant, but wht's a cattle gap?
    Is it like an autogate/cattle guard?

6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

A lady I know was charged over $400 last week because her two horses go into her neighbors yard and eat things. She got a warning the first time, by the land owner-----the police gave her the second/last warning the next time-------Fined the third time. She sold her horses to pay the fine!! Good Luck!! Randy

7. poppy

poppy Guest

It must be what we call a cattle guard here. Around here they are made out of 2 inch pipe and I have never heard of a cow crossing one.

8. SFM in KY

SFM in KY Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm thinking this is what we called a "cattle guard" although I've not ever seen one made of railroad ties. The ones we had were made out of pipe, were probably at least 8' wide, maybe more (it's been a long time) and long enough to go across the road over a dug-out pit, with the fence built to each end.

I can only remember one cow that we ever had that would cross one ... the pipes, being round, were slippery and they were afraid they would slip off and fall through ... which could happen if they would try to walk across one. The one old cow I remember that would walk one was apparantly more athletic than most. I don't ever remember any of the cattle trying to jump.

Worked for horses too, for the same reason ... although we did have one horse that would jump them ... mostly, I think, to show us that he could, as the other horses wouldn't follow him and he'd go back with the others.

The only thing I'd wonder about the railroad tie setup would be if the ties would provide enough of a flat surface that is wide enough for a cow to walk it comfortably.

9. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I had a cattle guard and it worked...most of the time. Mine was concrete over a shallow pit. If the pit filled in with dirt and weeds, over they'd go. They would also jump it, if they were so inclined. I've never heard of a railroad tie one. The pipe ones, over a deep pit work the best.

Jena

10. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I googled it, it appears to be the same as a cattle guard (I didn't find pics though, and descriptions were vague).

I can't imagine how one made out of railroad ties could work. The idea is to make the cattle feel like their footing is not firm.

11. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

around herre, most farm drives are on pure rock, the the railroad tie method, is to sit on the rock because a pit can't be dug. Will the pipe ones hold up to a cab air tractor?

12. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

13. ladycat

Ok, I can see how they would work if they are installed correctly.

14. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I have heard tell of a method that can be used on pavement to stop cattle that have had experience with cattle gaps. It involves painting white lines across the pavement, so that it looks like a cattle gap. Apparently the cows vision is so poor that they are unable to tell the difference between the painted lines and an actual cattle gap.

15. ladycat

If they ever happen to figure it out, that would be the end of that.