Do anyone out there own/run a resale sop /flea market

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by treehugger, May 7, 2005.

1. treehugger

treehugger Active Member

Hello,

I have 30 acres and a house in the country that I would like to earn some income out of. I am considering having a resale shop or flea market there. I am actually considering anything. I am wondering how all of these resale shops gets thier merchandise. They come up with all kinds of stuff and I cant figure out how they do it. I have called in radio shows and ran adds offering to haul off anything for but the only offers I get are for refrigerators and washing machines. I have been to one or two auctions and the prices people paid I do not he how someone could turn a profit. Is anyone out there in the know on how this works? Or does someone out there know another way to earn profit from this land besides leasing out the house?

Thanks

2. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi treehugger;
    many people donate used things to resale shops/thrift stores that sell to benfit a charity, like domestic violience. I've seen people out in the country open these shops. Some do well others fail. Pricing, traffic and word of mouth are key. If you live down a road that is not a major thoroughfare then you won't get much traffic. There is one successful thrift store that DOES NOT benfit a charity in the county I live in. It is a consignment shop. Several women with LOTS of relative place their stuff in the shop and the proceeds are split. The woman who owns this has a large, pretty, clean building she sells from. She has several parking places and a gravel drive and parking lot, and has landscaped around the shop, it is inviting.
    Maybe instead of a thrift store you could root plants and sell them. Later on build a greenhouse. Make quilts (not a lot of profit) and advertise by placing a nice handpainted sign on the main road, you might have to rent the space if you don't own the land. Around here a man constructed a shelter and sets out boxes of unwashed sweet potatoes in the fall and has a locked box and a sign that reads "Money here." "$8.00 a bushel". That way he can sell unwashed sweet poatoes without going through the whole health department thing. What I'm saying is you can grow a specialty crop or have your own fresh produce stand and make some extra cash. With 30 acres there's a lot you can do. You also get started with beekeeping if you're not allergic. Around here honey goes for $4.00/pint. It's sold at roadside stands in pint sized canning jars. Also you could make and sell jellies. They go for $3.00 - $3.50 per pint jar.
    Anything you do is going to take time and some investment capital. All the profits from your first 3 years need to go back into the business to keep it going and improving, less time than that if you are a phenonminal sucess (I have seen this happen) and more if it's slow going but is really something you want to do. Also, a pleasant personality goes a long way.
    I wish you success.
    tamilee

3. treehugger

treehugger Active Member

Tamilee,

Do you know what percentage was given to these shelters?

Thanks

4. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

I know someone who "re-sells" stuff part time - she gets some of it at garage sales and estate sales, and also she "picks" the garbage in the ritzy part of our neighboring town. I also practice selective garbage picking: I've gotten maybe a hundred nursery type flower pots in the last year or so; also I've found two new in-the-package bed speads (go figure!) We've gotten garden implements, dog crates, useable heavy-duty wheelbarrows, furniture, trade magazines, etc. Some of it was nice stuff, some of it was repairable. Once in awhile I would end up throwing whatever it was away...it had hidden damage or I couldn't use it after all. Another friend of mine found an antique set of books (valuable) in the garbage after a neighbor of his died.

Another thing to think about is making contact with a some contractors who do demolition and seeing if you can remove stuff from the buildings before they demolish them...if you can find a market for used plumbing fixtures, glass, sometimes appliances, light fixtures,, etc.

5. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

This may sound morbid, but you could make friends with your local funeral homes and have them let it be known that you do clean outs of homes. I know a man who did this for years (part time), he now is retired in Florida in a house he had built with the money he made.

Also let it be known that you will clean out basements, attics, and barns for a price. You could place an ad on community bulletin boards, maybe a church bulletin, anywhere legal the public will see it.

If you have Estate Sales in your area, check with the person giving it and ask if they need anyone to haul the unsalables. They usually have someone that will do this at the end of the sale. Have flyers or cards printed up and when you see a garage sale, stop and leave it with the owner. You'd be surprised how lazy some people may be and have you haul what's left away. Granted your going to get a lot of junk this way, but "one man's junk is another man's treasure".