Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Do you have one of those Timberline sharpeners C.F.? If so how do you like it? I bought one last year and haven't been impressed. I've gone back to the round file and I'm convinced I won't be buying any more of these "contraptions" to sharpen a chain. The file is the only way to go.

Reactions: 101pigs

·
Premium Member
18,077 Posts
"THAT OLD CONTRAPTION WORKS FINE, BUT AFTER A BIT A MAN CAN DO AS WELL FRE-HANDED. i'VE SEEN ADS FOR THE T tMBERLINE BUT NEVER SEEN ONE IN ACTION. yOUR OPINION:?

tHE ONES I HAD IN MIND ARE THOSE THAT JUST STICK ON THE END OF THE BAR AND SUPPOSEDLY SHARPEN THE CHAN WHILE YOU RUN THE SAW FOR A FEW SECONDS.;
You must be talking about the gizmo below. No, I have never tried on. My understanding is you have to use a special bar and chain to use one of those sharpeners. I have too much invested in my current bars and chains to even consider the gizmo below. There are a lot of youtubes about their use. Go to youtube and search the words, "powersharp chainsaw sharpener," I have included one of the youtube videos below.

·
Premium Member
18,077 Posts
Do you have one of those Timberline sharpeners C.F.? If so how do you like it? I bought one last year and haven't been impressed. I've gone back to the round file and I'm convinced I won't be buying any more of these "contraptions" to sharpen a chain. The file is the only way to go.
No, I do not have the Timberline sharpener. I bought a used Oregon bench sharpener from an auction several years ago. I am very happy with the results the bench grinder gives me. I have seven or eight chains for my two saws. Both saws use identical chains, so I do not have to keep changing any of the settings on the grinder and there is no chance of mixing up chains for the two saws I run.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I hated today having to cut a 30 foot tall brush tree out of the old garden game wire fence.

Using my 8 inch battery pruning chainsaw, in 45 minutes I had dropped five 25 foot tall 4 inch diameter at the cut tops into the yard and cut them into 3 to 4 foot lengths to dry before using straight pieces and compost the rest before coming into rest for an hour.

The part I hated was my second and third outings to get the last 5 feet that had grown through the game wire fence that I had to use wire cutters, hand powered bow saw and hack saw to cut the lower 5 feet out in small enough pieces to put out with the trash because of the wire that won't compost..

Hand saws at slow draw speed while safer while cutting around wire in the wood sure are slow in comparison to a high speed battery electric chain pruner.

My Stihl pruner chain saw has spoiled me, but I think it was well worth the investment as I clear brush especially the tall wanna be trees brush :)
Saws all works great on such issues. Put on a blade that cuts wood and nails and get after it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
CF: My off-hand opinion of the new sharpeners as welll. I have too many good chains to worry about changing. In OK I had a wall-mounted power sharpener that permitted me to touch up one tooth at a time, long tooth or short. but it went with the place. Not enough cutting here to justify a new one, though I did buy one and took it back as unsatisfactory.---it would not advance properly and sharpened irregularly. Now I just do as the paper mill cutters did when I was young---sit on the tailgate and sharpen by hand.

Redlands---LOL, fellow who built my new shed used his sawsall to cut down a wild plum that was too close. He did not have the woodcutter blade he needed and it cost me a quarter hour of his wages. I use the sawsall mostly to cut square tubing and other metals. My cut-off saw went with the OK sale.. .

·
Registered
15,022 Posts
I bought a new Echo 355 today. I like it for small work better plus I can climb the tree and work inside it if I need to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have a bettery powered DeWalt and are very happy with it. Of course, it isn't as powerful as the gas powered Husky saws we have ... but plenty good for most work we do. And significantly less hassle!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts