Do Any Of You Plant "by the Moon"? (Farmer's Almanac)

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MsPacMan, Mar 31, 2006.

1. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

At a master gardener's meeting this afternoon, they got into a discussion about planting by the moon phases, and even the ag extension agent said he thinks there is something to that, though U. T. doesn't officially endorse the practice.

I do not know anything about this concept. It sounds a bit goofy to me, but there were several gardeners in that group who I KNOW are very successful gardeners, and they swear by the Almanac's recommendations.

So, what about you folks?

What can you share about this concept? Do you do it? Do you know folks who do it? Does it work?

2. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I do because my grandmother swore by it.I shared garden space with her for many years after she got older and didnt need the space she had. I got one end and she the other I did what I knew and she hers. Many times I ask how come yours did this and her answer was Did you plant by the sign? NO! Well thats it. same dirt, same rain. same seed.I also set eggs to it also I have seen the difference.

3. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

I noticed the difference when I started using it again (again because I was taught to use it, then didn't use it for several years when I first started gardening on my own). Anything that has been around (and used) for as long as moon signs has to have a reason why it's still used. If it didn't work it wouldn't still be around.

Pat

4. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Last year was my first year planting by the Farmer's Almanac schedule. It was the best garden ever. However, it was also the first year that I used raised beds, so I'm not sure which thing made the garden so great...maybe it was both. Anyway, I'm continuing with both this year.

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My mom and dad always planted by the moon. Now I just call my mom and ask her when I need to plant things.

6. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

The scriptures tell us to observe the days and months according to lunar cycles so I guess that's the way it should be but I just can't bring myself to buy one because of all the goofy stuff for sale in them... "Doctor whatchacallit's evil spirit remover" and "spirit crystals" and such just aren't my idea of good things to advertise in your gardening book.

I don't have anything against planting according to lunar cycles, just the farmers almanac.

7. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I agree, so I just look it up online. I get the info I want and they don't get any of my hard-earned cash.

8. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

My Ohio and WV grandparents swore by Farmer's Almanac and religiously planted by its schedule. I never paid much attention to it in southern California (frankly everything grows well there - you just have to throw it in the ground and water). Now that I'm in Colorado, I've seriously thought about becoming a devoted follower of the Almanac as well. I know it works.
    BW

9. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Planting by the moon is a nice concept, yet in the midwest, there isn't much a person can do except plant according to the weather. Deb

10. MsPacMan

If I were to experiment with planting by the moon, where would I find a scheduler to help me know when to plant what vegetable?

I'm thinking about planting some of my stuff according to the "moon theory" and others out of sync with the "moon times," and then see -- with everything else equal -- whether there is a significant difference in the crop yields.

11. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

A lot times feed stores will have either the Farmers Almanac or Griers Almanac on the counter for free, or you can find it on line. Basically, you plant anything that produces above ground on a waxing moon, and anything that produces below ground on a waning moon.

Both my grandfathers did everything by the "signs", but my dad never did. I have never been able to see any difference. I just plant when I'm ready and never look at the signs.

12. MsPacMan

OK, I guess I'm officially a dummy, but what is a "waxing" moon, and what is a "waning" moon?

13. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

MSPACMAN, waxing is coming up on a full moon, waneing is comeing off the full moon.
    Also if you think it might not work try planting half of something during the Almanac times and the other half at your leasure. You will really tell the difference.
    I was at al loss with weeds one year and cut and sprayed them with the almanac and I noticed a VERY big dent in the weeds. I also done this next year and almost had no weeds. I did this haveing a garden out of a weedlot in three years.
    Also works on pests. I'm trying it in my greenhouse and garden down here in Tennessee this year. Plant starts are doing great.
    Works on diets too!

14. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

I have always planted by the moon, cut pigs and horns by the moon and killed weeds and pruned by the moon. One year I didn't, do to very wet spring, and my crop was not as good as other years, I am Irish and this maybe just supperstiction with me, but I can't afford to not do it, to just see. My daddy even cuts his hair by the moon, saids he is the only one with hair in the family, My brother wished he had. But we cross ourselves when a black cat crosses our path, and throw the salt over the shoulder.

15. renee7

renee7 Well-Known Member

My mother always planted by the moon, but I never have. But maybe I will look into it. It is a lot to remember.

Where is the best site to find out how?

16. MsPacMan

Shadowwalker,

You are in Tennessee? I am in Tennessee too, in McNairy County (southwest Tennessee).

Can you tell me, when is the best time to plant my tomato and bell pepper transplants, "moonwise speaking?" Also, when is the best time to put corn and bean seeds in the ground?

Thank you in advance.

17. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Go to the farmers almanac website. Click on astrology, then astrolocical timetable. Look for planting above ground and planting below gound. Also alot of other useful stuff. I cut my hair by it and am having a great time growing it out.

18. Haynes

Haynes Well-Known Member

There's a full moon coming Good Friday.
    Doesn't work tho if you don't believe.

Donnie--holding ever thing till then

19. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

And that they are different by a couple of days, and that can make a BIG difference. I use LLewellyns, and they always remind the buyer of that. It has 370 pages in it and it covers EVERYTHING

20. MsPacMan

OK, now you reallly have me confused.

What is the LLewellyns almanac, and what is the other one you speak of?

All I have is the one you can buy in the gardening section of WalMart.