Do any of you have goat dogs?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tinetine'sgoat, Dec 8, 2005.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

We decided to wait until spring for Nigerians since we were having trouble locating fall babies, so to help the kids with the Miracle ordeal we got two 1/2 australian shepherd puppies and 1/2 red bone. They are cuties, ice blue eyes on one and mismatched eyes on the other have all the australian markings but short hair. Very friendly, but we want to keep them in the goat pen for guard dogs. Do any of you have guard dogs and how did you introduce the two. Miracle hates them by the way, but they are ignored basically by everyone else except the mini horses who charge at them. Any suggestions?

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I bought a Pyr/Antolan Shepard mix. She was already acclimated to goats. My goats, however, were not acclimated to her. It took them a day or two to accept her, but now she's just one of the goats. Now if I could just convince her that ducks are not playthings........

Ruth

3. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

FWIW, if they bond with your goats (as they will, when introduced at an early age like this) , they will not herd them. i had a Border Collie who'd been bonded with goats when young, and while she was wonderful with the goats and very trustworthy around them, would help clean off the babies, etc, she would herd everything else on the place except for the goats. She owuld herd the single sheep that we had in with the goats, but as far as she was concerned, the goaties could do no wrong and could run circles around her!! :D

And she was excellent about guarding them....

I have also heard that if they bond with your goats, they won't bond as much with you, and you shouldn't try to make them bond with you as much, IOW, don't try to make pets of them. The barn and goat pen should be their home and their life.

Unrelated to dogs: you have the mini horses in with the goats? I lost an extremely valuable, unreplaceable doeling to a mini horse running with the goats. She was the only one he killed, but of course it had to be her... :(

4. tinetine'sgoat

We have several seperate lots for different animals and reasons. The mini's are kept seperate from everyone because they are completely territorial and they run off anything that they think might eat something they want. :mad: I do trust our other horses around the goats though, they make no attempt to bother them, but unless we really need the pasture ground they are seperate. Goats and Chickies seem to do well together.

5. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Once you get your herd dog bonded on Miracle, be very careful when you worm. We wormed our goats with Eprinex, applied in a stripe down their backs. Herd dog Diva gave us a horrible scare by licking it off and poisoning herself.

Fortunately, there was no lasting damage, but the first 24 hours was horribly scary. First we had a missing dog at nightfall, then found her and she couldn't get up, and then she appeared to be blind. All of this on a Sunday night, with the nearest emergency vet 2 hours away.

Diva is very maternal - and keeps the cows ears and the goats rears very clean. We hadn't considered that she would immediately clean the wormer off of the goats.

Lynda

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I don't that I would keep a herding dog in with the goats. LGDs are more suited to actually live with the goats, while the herding breeds (like Aussies) would be more suited to live with you and go out with you to the goats. I would be afraid any dog with herding instincts might get the inclination to herd the goats to death. KWIM?

7. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

I have two Great Prys that guard my herd. I got them as 6 week old pups and put them in the goat barn and pasture with the goats. they are now 1 year old and they do a great job of protecting the goats. I leave one with the does and one with the bucks. As stated above it is really not a good idea to make pets of them, you want them to bond with the goats not you. I always though that the hearding dogs would not be good around goats, I have a blue heeler for the cows, and I would never let him near the goats, he gets that look in his eye like he would just love to run them to death. My friend has 2 heeler/lab mix dogs that were raised with her goats and they do a great job for her. So I guess it depends on getting them used to the goats while they are pups.

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok....There is a big difference between a "goat dog" and a "dog that is good with goats". If you are looking for a dog to guard the goats, stay with the goats, live, eat, and sleep with the goats, please get a breed that has been bred for just that. A Great Pyrenees, Anatolian Shepherd, Komondor, Akbash, etc. Or a combination of those breeds(I love the Anatolian/Pyrenees). All were bred for guarding livestock and that is their life. Your pups were not bred for that and I personally would *never* put a herding dog or a hound dog in with my goats and trust them to do nothing but guard them. Its not what they were bred to do. They may love the goats and do fine with the goats, but if one day while your gone, they revert to their natural instincts and spend all day herding the goats(Australian Shepherd), or chasing the goats(Red Bone Hound or Australian Shepherd) inadvertantly making bred does abort, or killing kids, or exhausting goats in the extreme heat/cold, whos to blame them??? Herding/chasing is what they were *bred* to do. They will not be happy living with the goats. Australian Shepherds especially need something to occupy thier time or they get into mischief. Livestock Guardian dog breeds are big and lazy except when they are needed to guard. They can lay around all day while the goats eat and they love it. Other types of dogs get bored and then: trouble results. By all means, those pups should make wonderful pets for your children. But no, I would not make them stay in with the goats. They should know the goats are part of the family and are ok, but they should not live with the goats. I had a Pyrenees/Black Lab pup that I gave away as a pet because yes, she was good with the goats, but she was not *content* with the goats and wanted to be with us. I wasn't comfortable leaving her with my herd 24/7 with her un-contentedness, so I gave her to some folks as a pet. They just love her. Now, I won't use any dog that is not 100% Livestock Guardian Dog breed. I am much more at ease with that. I also have pets/farm dogs that are very good with the goats, but are not fenced with the goats. That is not their job and not what they were bred to do. My three Great Pyrenees and one Anatolian/Pyrenees are very content to live, eat and sleep with my herd. Harmony reigns!!
    My 2 cents. :)

9. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

I dunno. Our Border Collie herded ducks, the single sheep (even when I wanted her to go and herd the goats, she'd merely lick at them but herd the sheep), and just about anything else except for the goats. They could run right past her out the gate and she would look on calmly while I hollered fo rher to help me put them back in... Herding was her instinct, though, and she decided that it was her job to herd cars....and we lived by a major county road.

We were forced to give her to a friend with cattle and sheep. She is extremely useful herding them and sometimes stays up all night guarding them from coyotes. She certainly was useless for goats, though....

I suppose it might vary depending on the dog.

10. ozark_jewels

Exactly. But do I want to take the chance that one day while I'm away from home, her instincts will kick in and I'll come home to stressed or dead goats?? No! Thus I choose LGD breeds. They were bred to eat, sleep, live with goats/sheep, and most of them do a good job of it.

11. tinetine'sgoat

I think the GP idea is good. Question is now what do we do with the AS-RB mixes that will keep them entertained? Can they help get everyone together for milking?

12. ozark_jewels

I think you are making a sound decision. :) I would let those pups tag along whenever you are out doing anything with the goats. They need to be familiar with the goats and vice-versa. If they will be living on the farm, they need to learn boundaries with the goats as well so they know how to treat them. My farm dogs/pets(not the LGDs), run around in the goat field during chores. The goats know them and are not scared around them and the dogs know not to run the goats. The farm/pet dogs go back to the house with me when chores are finished. They have no desire to hang around the goats unless we are there too. I'm sure your pups are great pets. :clap:

13. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I definitely think that's a good choice. Your ASmix pups will probably be very nice helpers for you with the goats. You just have to be with them while they're with goats. They may learn to herd them for you. Some will come by in naturally, some will need training. Take them with you on chores and see how it goes. Just keep your eye on them and don't let them get carried away with chasing the goats. Make sure they know the limits. Good luck. Puppies are fun. We're working with our new English Shepherd puppy and she's such a hoot.

14. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Farm dogs can be a great help, guarding doors so stock won't pass while you're hauling feed or manure, putting babies away at night, helping to catch that reluctant doe, moving the animals from pen to pen, helping to get the right buck out of the field while keeping the others in, finding lost chickens . . . They can do lots of helpful things if you take the time to show them what you want, mostly by taking the time to have them along when they're young so they can watch what you do and learn the ropes. This also gives you the chance to watch what they do and stop any bad behavior (like a little too much interest in chickens, for example) before it becomes established. I agree, though, when you said Aussie/hound cross, my first thought was that those would most likely not be dogs you'd want spending the day unattended with your goats.

15. Faithful

Faithful Well-Known Member