Homesteading Forum banner

DO any of these look edible???

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  r.h. in okla. 
#1 ·
During the last week i've come across a few mushrooms in WI... any look edible? I've got a mushroom book, but not helping much(don't worry, i haven't ate any of them...yet :))

this was from today

I'm only good @ picking Morels.

See less See more
#2 ·
None of them look familiar to me... and if you can't find them in your book, they're probably not safe to eat. I found two beautiful mushrooms in the backyard today that, inside and out, looked exactly like the white button mushrooms you buy in the produce section. They would have probably been safe to eat, but considering that I found them in my big pile of branches and twigs and rabbit guts and dog poop and cat litter, I wasn't really tempted, LOL!

#3 ·
I'd pass too. I've never been good @ collecting wild plants, other then some berries and morels. Always think i'm going to get sick and have my stomach pumped if i eat the wrong thing :(

The orange ones were in the yard. Ive got a tree root or something under the lawn that seems to be feeding all these mushrooms. strange. I just got done reading an article about the puff ball mushrooms. wow. there huge and good to eat.

#4 ·
hey frank certainly not a exspert here but from what i see.
little brown shroom's likly not,, they look gilled from what i can see,,,,
the slimy looking redesh one, i'm certain not edible
the white ones i'm thinking ya may have a winner there ,,looks very much like a oyster shroom,,,,,,,BUT PLZ DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR THE ID,,,,
rule of thumb no lil brown shroom's,, no slimy shrooms
mistaken ID can have dire consequenses,,,take care in this endeaver .
for more info take a look at these links
http://www.mykoweb.com/
http://www.mdc.mo.gov/nathis/mushrooms/mushroom/
on mykoweb ya maybe able to find a spert near ya for a positive id.
IF they are oysters enjoy the fine eats
take care

#5 ·
You need a better mushroom book before even thinking about trying any home-picked mushrooms. Or find an experienced mushroom picker. Many mushrooms are so similar to each other that differences can only be detected with a "spore print." A mistake could prove fatal.

I wish I knew how to post pictures. I snapped a few photos of death angel amanitas growing in my yard.

#6 ·
the only mushrooms I would trust is morels and what my uncle calls "winter Mushrooms" they grow on trees, kinda looks like that white mushroom picture you have, but I don't think they had the fins under the tops, I dunno.??

#7 ·
Frank,
I see a lot of both those types of mushrooms here in the early fall.
The top picture is what I'de call 'toadstools' and would avoid eating them.
The bottom brown fungus I would also pass up.
For fall mushrooms I pretty well stick to what is safe for me, which includes white firm puffballs and boletes. Chantrelles are wonderful if you can find them.
The pictures you show are none of these.

Rich

#8 ·
Do not eat any of these. ID can be complex, as you know if you have a complete guide. Sometimes a mushroom is identified based on its root structure (how it is attached just under the earth).

It would help to call your local Sierra Club and sign up for the mushroom walks. Then learn one mushroom at a time per season to gather. Learn it inside and out. Even then, don't get cocky, measure it against your book.

Best way to get 'wild' mushrooms is to innoculate a log and grow them yourself. Though there are those that say if you grow them outside they could contaminate from other spores. I have had success with the log and the two mushrooms I gather, morels and chanterelles.

#9 ·
Well just one bite can kill you.You want to take the chance?

I know the Mushrooms around here that you can eat,plus the ones you can get High on.And a few that will kill you.I will not tell anyone that any are edible with out having a real good look and Double Checking.Same with some wild plants.

The White ones might be Oyster Mushrooms.

Try this link.Its not in your area but has some of the same Mushrooms.

http://conservation.state.mo.us/nathis/mushrooms/mushroom/

big rockpile

#10 ·
Thanks. Its been a wet fall, somewhat mild fall and i think the mushrooms have been liking it. I'm going to pick up a better mushroom book. The one I have looks to be European and only covers the major types (morels, chanter,etc).

Puffballs would be fun to find, but I'm thinking I missed the season on them. Oh well, always next spring and Morels.

#11 ·
BCR said:
Do not eat any of these. ID can be complex, as you know if you have a complete guide. Sometimes a mushroom is identified based on its root structure (how it is attached just under the earth).

It would help to call your local Sierra Club and sign up for the mushroom walks. Then learn one mushroom at a time per season to gather. Learn it inside and out. Even then, don't get cocky, measure it against your book.

Best way to get 'wild' mushrooms is to innoculate a log and grow them yourself. Though there are those that say if you grow them outside they could contaminate from other spores. I have had success with the log and the two mushrooms I gather, morels and chanterelles.
Can somone tell me how to improve my Morel Patch?

I've always dumped the cleaning water behind the house, trying to start a close by patch... but it's not working.

#12 ·
Oilpatch197 said:
Can somone tell me how to improve my Morel Patch?

I've always dumped the cleaning water behind the house, trying to start a close by patch... but it's not working.
When you figure out how to predict more morel harvest, let me know. :haha:

Morel fruit in spring. The usual influence is more with weather and moisture, along with filtered sun in wooded areas with the right ground conditions.
The one constant I sort of go by is that night temps of 55 over a week, which is about mid May here and warm rain initiates fruiting.
Different years I've found them more abundant than other years. Some years I found in one area and the next were devoid of that spot, but more abundant elsewhere.
The nature about insuring morel growth is more mystery and luck than a guaranteed thing. Cleaning morels and dumping the water may, or may not, initiated growth if the area is right for their growth. It also may depend on what stage of spore in the fruit might be availablt to initiate a mycelium growth undergrownd. The best chance might be if you find a spot under hardwoods with a half day filtered sunglight on a slight slope facing southwest, with good leaf litter and organic layer including some rotting wood. That's about the conditions you'de best find them in nature.

#13 ·
the bottom white ones might be oysters, they are comon in wisconsin
the only really edible fall mushrooms are some leftover puffballs, and meadow mushrooms, which look just like the ones in the stores but underneath have pink gills that turn black when touched, dont eat any that arent absoulutely pink underneath, even if growing right next to others that are !!!!
the loss of one or two potentially edible mushrooms wont hurt you, i promise !!!!
but the consequences of eating an improperly identified one is tragic .

#15 ·
I will go along with Tinknal and say they are oyster mushroons if they smell like anise, BUT the only time we find them is in the spring of the year around the middle of May and they are on dead aspen trees which are still standing, sometimes they are up very high and you need a 20 foot stick to loosen them. good harvesting

#16 ·
After reading those last comments i'll check them out tomorrow. Anise, huh? Heres another view of them.

About Morels. This year I hit the motherload (so it seemed). Its nice Morel patch because its really close to where i live and i'm the only one who was up there. I found them pretty early here in WI. I actually sold about 50 bucks worth and still had more then enough to eat. Once you find one, look around, most likely they'll be more (and possibly a lot more).

#17 ·
On Mushrooms its best to use an Open Mesh Bag to put them in so it will spread the Spores.Not WalMart Bags.

big rockpile

#18 ·
I've always thought the White and Grey Morels comes up first, and then the Black and yellow ones latter on.

I've always able to find Black and yellow Morels, and the longstems.

But I can't seem to find the Grey and whites!
The one constant I sort of go by is that night temps of 55 over a week, which is about mid May here and warm rain initiates fruiting.
I live in South Eastern Illinois, do you find very many grey morels?

hmm, this looks ummy!
[url]www.mushroomsbymillard.net/ winter.htm[/url]

#19 ·
I believe most of the ones i found early were the blacks and then i found the yellows (kinda big and orangish???) I found a few whites, but not many. It seems earlier you find them, the more money you can make. Once the season gets going in May, you might as well keep them, unless your find them by the truck bed load!

G
#20 ·
Frank, can't help you with the top one. There is a rule called LBM. Stands for little brown mushrooms. Stay away from them unless you really know what you are doing. On the other hand, I don't know of any that grow off the ground ( as in, on trees ) that are poisonous here in Illinois. The orange ones may be what is called
'jack-o-lantern". They come up in clusters by the hundreds here often after a rain. The books say they are poisonous, but I know some people who eat them. I think their main danger is stomach upset in some people. I WOULDN"T EAT THEM. The white ones are oysters. There are several varieties of those. Some are white or can range from tan to purple. They are of the pleurotis species and safe to eat. Check the ribs under the cap for little black bugs. I roll them in flour and deep fry. Sometimes you see them in grocery stores here. I have grown them on logs and straw. None taste as good as morels IMO.

#21 ·
Several things I've heard or read over the years--

Find a local Mycological Society and join.
Learn one edible mushroom very very well and don't try to eat another. Once you have that down pat, learn another one.
I think a mentor is essential.
Learn how to "key" toward identification. Many mushrooms look almost exactly alike.

Sandi

G
#22 ·
I would stay away from all the ones in the picture shown. I've always been told that anything with vented ribs (gills) are definitely poisonious. I do know that all the ones I harvest and eat in the fall and spring do not have vented ribs. Such as the spring time morels, the fall snow balls that grow on trees, elk horns that grow on the ground, sheep heads that grow many pedels are not vented either, and some wedge shaped fungus that grow on sides of trees. Even the button mushrooms that are served in restuarants do not have vented ribs. So take that into consideration when looking for mushrooms.

G
#23 ·
Sorry to be bringing this thread back to life but I want to correct my theory of what mushrooms are edible and what are not. I stated earlier that any mushroom with vented fins maybe very poison. Well I'm wrong, last night I ate some of the oyster mushrooms and I am still alive this morning. I found some yesterday while out deer hunting and a friend of mine said he eats them all the time. So I brought some home last night and tried them. I wouldn't let my wife and kids eat any until they see that I live. (stupid huh!) So today as soon as I get around I'm going back out and pick the rest of them. So disregard anything I stated earlier about vented ribed mushrooms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.