Do all cats purr?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Gypsy, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Gypsy

Gypsy Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Took in two kittens (sisters, same litter, about 12 weeks old) about two weeks ago. We are kind of new to cats so I'm not exactly sure, but should they both be purring? One is and the other isn't (or at least is not in front of us). I read that purring in cats is actually the result of the vibration of a major blood vessel. Do all cats purr? Does it necessarily represent a health problem if they don't. Sorry if this is a bit of a dull question, but with a new animal I figure its better to ask and look dull then be wrong and look duller! Thanks in advance.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Ayep. All cats purr, even the ones big enought for you to sit in their laps, but only when they want to.

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Some cats just don't purr much. Purring shows "emotion", be it happiness, or frustration, excitement ect. I think some cats just don't get excited about much. :D

I'm pretty sure all of the big cats that roar, cannot purr.

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, all cats do purr, some not as loudly as others. You are correct -- the purr is caused by the vibration of a major blood vessel in the body.

Purring is largely an automatic response. It is not necessarily an indicator of contentment, however. When I worked as a veterinary tech, I witnessed cats purring while on the door of death, or in other extreme circumstances. Of course, if a cat is growling, that will drown out any purrs...

We currently have four cats. The youngest kitten, Zonker, purrs almost constantly. The other 3 guys do purr, but it's not as audible as the kitten's purr, never really was. But they are all happy, contented, little bit spoiled felines.

Enjoy your new kittens! remember to keep the yarn and strings away from them -- if they swallow such materials, it can literally tie their intestines into knots. (had that happen to a friend's cat. Very bad.)

Pony!

5. IMContrary

IMContrary Well-Known Member

I had a an old Siamese once that only purred when she was in labor or nursing. How or why they purr still isn't understood that well. One of nature's mysteries. But I love it! I have one tiny female Siamese now that purrs like well tuned engine! You wouldn't think such a tiny thing could make so much noise.

6. southerngurl

I think their purring, is sorta kinda like our crying.

Also, no matter what you do, keep their heads out of the disposal:
    http://www.snopes.com/critters/disposal/catchday.htm:haha:

7. Pony

well, actually, the big cats DO purr. I witnessed this at the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago.

For further info, follow this interesting link:

http://www.readthehook.com/stories/2002/09/05/strangeButTrueHereKitty.html

Purrrrrrrrrr!

Pony!

8. southerngurl

Maybe it's that they can't meow? Something on discovery channel.

9. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

We have two inside cats. Tippy purrs like an engine and kneads at the same time. I've never heard Brat purr nor does he knead.

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Found this on purring lions.

http://lionresearch.org/FAQ/FAQS.html
    Question:

Do Lions Purr like house cats?

Answer:

Lions do occasionally purr, but they are different from house cats in that purring is not common or important in their social life. Also, lions make a sound only as they exhale instead of continuously the way house cats do.

11. treeguy

treeguy Active Member

"my dog thinks he is human. My cat thinks he is God"
    in some countries in europe they have laws stating that you can't buy just one cat, that you have to buy them in pairs.

12. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

if you ask anyone who actually works with bigs cats they'll tell you only cheetahs purr, and I've never met a domestic cat that wouldn't purr.

13. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I've also heard that the cheetah is the only big cat that purrs.
    I'm of the opinion that, with domestic cats, it's a matter of disposition. We bottle fed two kittens this year. One purred almost constantly. The other meowed almost constantly. Guess which one we kept. ;)

14. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I have a black cat that I've had for 16 years & I have never heard him purr. He just doesn't do it. He has about 50 other noises, though, ranging from little mumbles to panther-like screams.

15. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

My cat Bugs purrs so softly and quietly that I didn't think that he ever purred. I found out that he did when one day I picked him up and he snuggled by my ear and I could "feel" the purr. It was very slight.

16. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

all cats purr, tigers purr, and so do liona and ligers ( a lion X tiger)
    some purr louder than others, some purr more than others .....
    my SIL has a cat right now who is called Chevy, cause he purrs so loud!!!!!

17. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

According to the vet on this web site http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1495&S=1&SourceID=18
    the big cats DON"T purr.

According to the San Diego Zoo's website: http://www.sandiegozoo.org/animalbytes/t-smallcat.html

Roar or purr?— One feature that separates small cats from large is their throat structure, which gives the cat the ability to roar and purr. The group of small cats cannot roar like the big cats do, because the bones in their throats are hardened and close together and can only produce smaller vibrations. Instead, they mew, scream, and growl. Anyone with a house cat knows that small cats can purr nonstop whether they are breathing in or out, but big cats can’t purr continuously. They can only purr when they breathe out. The purr is interrupted when the cat breathes in. As a result, some big cats make a noise keepers refer to as a "chuffle.”

A cheetah is not considered a "big" cat -although they aren't tiny. Their purr sounds like a lawn mower - very loud and their tongues feel like sandpaper. They do not roar - but do make a high pitched chirpping sound. As a youngster I had the privledge of getting up close and personal with the king of Ethiopia's pet cheetah. A wonderful experience I will never forget.

18. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

I've heard cats that purred so loud you could hear them coming before you saw them and then I have my King Kukui the Superklutz whose purr can only be heard if you put your ear to him.

BTW, Kukui will turn 10-years-old this Halloween Sunday. His "Aunt" Jean is throwing him a birthday party. lol We are going to have so much fun with all my cat-loving friends bringing him little gifts. He's a Siamese/alley cat mix. He has the Siamese markings and fine bones of his mother and the size (15 pounds) and long hair of his father. He's so intelligent that I am constantly working to keep him entertained. He remembered how I once tied a toy of his to a rod and untied it while I watched. He's absolutely amazing. :eek: He also takes care of me. When I'm sick, he won't leave me alone and actually slaps my meds off the table repeatedly when he knows I should be taking them and haven't. Did I mention that he's bossy? :haha:

TXlightningbug :yeeha:

19. Pony

Well, a very happy birthday to your Kukui! :dance:

I was never really a cat person (always preferred dogs) until my kids were little and I gave in and let them have cats as well. Now, I am frequently amazed at the character and intuition of my four toms. The eldest, Wolfie, has stayed almost constantly by my side since I came home from the hospital Thursday. I'm sure his cuddly, purr-y attention has as much to do with my rapid recovery as my surgeon's skill!

Besides that, Wolfie takes up a lot less space in the bed than Buster the Wonder Dog. <G>

Pony!

20. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha: :haha: TOOO funny!! Thanks for a great laugh, Gurl! I sent it to a bunch of folks.

Chris