Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all! I'm working on something that is smarter than me again!So here's the deal,can someone help me out?
I've got a toshiba 62hm195 dlp. (rear projection)tv.It started making a bad grinding type noise the other day. Sounded to me like the bearings going out of the cooling fan and seemed to be coming from that area.It just kept getting worse so I shut it down and took the back off fired it back up and can't see anything wrong. The only thing I can see that moves is the cooling fan but it appears fine.I'm had it running a couple hours now and seems fine but I'd like to ID what's wrong or at least what to look for before putting it back together. I'm sure it'll do it again sometime.Any Ideas? I can't find anything on youtube etc so Y'all are me reference.

Thanks,

Wade

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
You are close. DLPs use a chip with mirrors and a powerful lamp. In televisions, the way that color is achieved with the single chip is a rotating fan with different color filters that interrupt the light. (In situations like theatres, where more light is needed, each color gets its own mirror chip.) The color wheel or the drive mechanism for it are the most likely suspects.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HC- thanks. I let this thing run last night and at some point it went again.(with the grinding) and woke me so I got around behind it and the cooling fan for the bulb was not running but again it seems like there is nothing wrong with it. Like it just lost it's power source.Also, the screen was totally black. Does this sound like what would happen if the thing you're talking about is bad?

I got up this morning and turned it on and it started grinding again for a few minutes then seems to be fine now so I"m leaving it on to try and see what happens when it goes down.The fan was working fine so far this morning but the "grinding" sound seems to be coming from that piece that the light shines into. Like I said it was grinding when I first turned it on but not now.
Another question,how do I find out where to get the part(NOT from Toshiba! I called them and they said the would charge me for any info if the unit was not in warranty!I'm thru with them and that attitude!),also if this unit is even worth repairing,and how to replace this part? On youtube all I see is bulb replacement.
Any more info would be great. Thanks,

Wade

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
I can only speak in generalities, since I can't see exactly what is going on.

If the cooling fan stopped, the light would overheat and a thermistor cut power to it to prevent a fire. Once it cooled down, it would work again.

The fact that it stopped indicates you may have a simple cooling fan issue. A single drop of oil on the shaft and bearings may extend the life of it a few months.

If the problem is the color wheel, colors might be blurred or off-color.

In general, modules are replaced these days rather than individual parts. The module you would be replacing is called the light engine. You can do a web search. New, the cost is high enough ($800+) to make buying a new set a better proposition. If you can find one aftermarket for around $200 it might be worth a shot attempting a repair - understanding that other components could fail within the year.

Your model is old enough that replacement parts are hard to get.

In general, think of the lifespan of todays electronics to be about three years. If you REALLY like a particular product, look to buy a backup or parts unit at the end of that period when there are sales. Otherwise, treat electronics as commodity consumables and don't over-invest.

If I were you, I would attempt to oil the cooling fan and see if that worked. If it didn't I would consider the unit a potential total loss and open up the light engine to find the color wheel or anything else that could be causing the problem. I would oil if I thought it would make a difference and was even possible. If it didn't but I found I could remove the light engine successfully and place it back properly, I would look to find a replacement with a total cash outlay of $250 or less. Otherwise I would strip for parts (the screen on a rear projection tv is a huge fresnel lens than can be repurposed, etc.) and trash and buy either an LCD or projector tv.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Harry! That sounds like sound advice! The unit is about 9 years old as I remember and I'm tired of buying a bulb every year anyway.I think I'll look for a new one and set this aside to learn on. If it ends up to be an easy fix I'll go ahead and do it just for the experience and have it around for a back-up.
Thanks again,

Wade

1 - 6 of 6 Posts