Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to gain some insight from other experiences with this. Last week I walked out side for about 2 minutes, and felt as if the world tipped over. The worst of it passed quickly, and i made it back into the house. I was unable to reach my husband or anyone close by. I was alone w/ the children so I called 911 because I wasn't sure what was happening and still felt off.

i was given an EKg, lung xray, general bloodwork, and blood clot bloodwork. everything was normal, my BP, heartrate and sugar levels were completely normal (except my white cell count was slightly elevated). They sent me on my way and told me it was dehydration. (I have been very thirsty)

I went to my regular doctor 2 days later. The nurse practitioner just did a bloodcount and told me to take antivert for allergies and vertigo.

I'm fairly certain that it wasn't dehydration because I've been drinking large amounts of fluid and I still feel...weird. Not dizzy, nessesarily..but like I have a heavy, foggy head(clogged up maybe?). Sort of like a very so slight alcohol buzz. It's the best way I can describe it.

I should note that my ears have been bothering me(hurting occasionally, stuffy ears, and my jaw pops constantly)...though everyone says they look good. I've had a dr look into them three times since January. They have seemed to bother me since I got a nasty cold in January. My allergies HAVE been acting up, too..but this has never happened. I have been under an unpresidented amount of stress for the past two months as well. I get a lot of muscle tension in my neck.back..I'm wondering if muscles could play a part...

I am just REALLY wanting to get rid of it!!!!!! :Bawling: I feel half drunk...I can still function completley normal...no stumbling etc...I just feel this way. Very annoying.

Christina

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,852 Posts
Do you have it when you wake up?

I have Aunt's that have vertigo, and have some exercise to do. It's something to do with getting older and a little bit of inner ear bone loosing and floating around and throwing balance off.

It may be worth checking out.

Angie

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
When I have a slight problem with balance, vision, etc. I try deep breathing. Take in as much of a breath as I can, exhale completely and do this 10 to 20 times in succession. this seems to help me. I think it has something to do with the amount of oxygen that is getting to the brain.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have weather related vertigo. Drives me bats at times. An antihistimine as you were recommended by the nurse or over the counter motion sickness medication works for most bouts.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Sounds like sinus issues. Try taking some OTC sinus meds (the good kind, you may have to get it from the pharmacist but no prescription needed...with pseudoephedrine) and see if it helps. If it does, at least you'll have a better idea of the cause.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
A few years back my father was having that problem an the Dr. said inner ear problems caused his. Getting dizzy and losing his sense of balance. Not sure what the Dr prescribed.

·
AppleJackCreek
3,717 Posts
I have known 2 men who had similar problems - they ended up being some kind of inner ear infection that made the world spin for about a week or two. Not sure what they got for treatment, but it did pass, and apparently is not all that uncommon.

I would also think antihistamines may be of some help, as they seem to 'unplug' things quite nicely. :)

Good luck - be very careful in the shower! (One of the men who had it fell in the shower and that just made things worse!)

·
Registered
98 Posts
MIL has vertigo because of inner ear infections, i would say at least have ears looked at, it can be serious. and cause alot of problems

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
It could be a deep inner ear infection. That would definitely produce the vertigo.

However, I have a friend who has been experiencing this lately, too. Are you currently coming OFF of any other medications?

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I agree it sounds like some type of infection, especially when you say your white count was slightly elevated.
Maybe it's a sinus infection, or inner ear like others have said, thats not a fun feeling at all. Hope you feel better soon.
I just recently been diagnosed with chronic sinusitis, .. but i was feeling funky, and my back tooth kept hurting, went to the dentist he couldn't find a thing wrong with that tooth, had sinus x-rays done and sure enough and i also had a cat scan, now i have to go to a ENT, fun fun!
So it could be just about anything really.. good luck hope you find an answer.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tracy, No, i can't think of something i am coming off of, really. I had just starting taking aciphex for acid reflux...but stopped that. I occasionally take aleeve and exedrin migrain. The only thing I did different that day was to have a late cup of coffee(which really makes me feel bad, but I drink it anyhow). That is why the dr was thinking dehydration. I did tell them that the day before it happened, my ears hurt and felt VERY stuffy...then I went swimming...that is why I thought it might be an ear issue. They(two drs...said my ears looked good).
Thanks for the replies...makes me feel better :)

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
When that happened to me I discovered that I developed an allergy to iceberg lettuce. I avoid that type of lettuce and have no problems. A few times I tested it by eating some, and the dizzy spells came back. A regular doctor didn't find the allergy, a herbalist did.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know....the inner ear infection thing....how would the dr know if I had it if they couldn't see it in the first place? Would I have to go to an ENT...would some sort of imaging test see it?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
The ear is our body's centre of balance. You need to get thoroughly checked out. You cannot rule out blood pressure problems, either. A visit to the doctor ASAP is definitely called for.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
google vertigo and labyrinthitis. If it lasts over 3-4 months (YES! sorry) then a scan to look for a tumor pressing on the auditory nerve is in order, IIRC, or in my circles (family medicine) a referral to an ENT Dr to decide what to look for and how, and how to treat a benign but longterm case. Your doc GP or FP not ENT) might know the exercises to try to correct this if it lasts a while but antivert as needed if you can take it is your best bet for now.

BTW how old are you that they did the whole ER work up for you? If I were sure it was vertigo- what you describe (world spinning esp. with head tilt) as opposed to fainting or nearly so, I would do nothing but ear exam and vertigo maneuvers.

One summer in a small Texas town I saw a few dozen cases. Allergies my colleagues told me but I wonder if a certain virus was attacking everyone's inner ear.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
You said that during the ER testing, they ruled out blood pressure problems, which could cause this.

It sounds like an inner ear disturbance to me too. I live with it a lot. Many years ago both my husband and I got a really bad virus and mine settled in my inner ear. I've dealt with the problem off and on ever since. If I'm out on a windy day, or get water in my ears, I can plan on having the vertigo problems. I've learned to live with it. I wear ear plugs when I go outside on windy days, and I try NOT to get water in my ears. My MIL has the same exact problem.

Sudafed or something similar is what the Doctor recommended for me to help the drainage get out of the ear. But if I ever experience it long term again, I'll have my Doctor do the Epley Maneuver (I think that's what it's called) which is supposed to help the problem.

When I lay down, the room spins. I told my DH it's a cheap "high", LOL. When it's really bad, I can be sitting upright and feel like I just tipped sideways and back up! It lasts for a few days sometimes until it clears up. I won't drive when I'm like that.

Sinus trouble can contribute to the problem, as well as give you toothaches.

Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Web search 'benign positional vertigo'.

Jenn--what is that maneuver called for getting a loose otolith out of the semicircular canals?

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,852 Posts
This is from my aunt about 6 weeks ago or less:

"Positional Vertigo. He said that we have 6 canals inside our skull that works with the ears and when a small fragment breaks away from these canals that is when the vertigo starts. This little fragment bouncing around is the problem until it settles back down and attaches to something.

He gave me a sheet of exercises. You sit on the side of the bed. Turn your head slowly to the right and then lie down sideways to the Left. Then repeat, turning head to the left and lying down to the right. He says this will help settle down the fragment.

He said that if it happens again and I want to try the therapy it wouldn't hurt but he said he hasn't seen much help from this. He was amazed that I got so much relief from the meclazine. he said this hasn't shown to be real effective with this diagnosis but there isn't anything any better either. So I felt good that I didn't have something weird going on."

I am only posting this as it may help give the exercise to try, or the medicine that might help. By the way, my Mom and her two sisters have this off and on, so I'm paying attention..

Angie

·
Registered
360 Posts
While an inner ear problem would be the first thing I'd check out, you also said you have been under a lot of stress. Recently, I was having a similar dizziness problem and have been diagnosed with GAD General Anxiety Disorder due to stress. Just one day on the meds and I felt SO MUCH better. :) So if it isn't your ear(s) you might check about GAD. Google GAD if you want more info.

·
Debbie
263 Posts
Have you recently started taking anything like antidepressants? If so, could be that. When I started taking them about a year ago, I was real dizzy, I couldn't figure out what was going on, it took a little time to figure it out. Then it took almost a whole year to get off of them. I just recently got off of them. I had an allergy to them.

It could be an allergy to anything, have you had any changes in medication or anything in your diet?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts