DIY solar pool heating

Discussion in 'Alternative Energy' started by SolarGary, Jun 3, 2006.

1. SolarGary

SolarGary Well-Known Member

Hi,
    There was a question a little while back about building your own solar pool heater using black poly hose. Here is a link to someone who did this:

http://www.detroitgrillking.com/pool/

The heater he built appears to work OK, but his advice seems to be that you are probably better off to buy the commercial mat style pool collectors rather than building ones like the one he built. You can still save a substantial amount of money by buying the collectors, and putting the rest of the system together yourself.

Gary

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'm hoping to get an oil fired pool heater and fueling it with either biodiesel or used cooking oil and minimal diesel. If that works I'll try a system for the DWH (oil fired)

3. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

We have been doing something simple for our kid's pool (1,800 gallons, 12' diameter) for years. The pool's pump pushes water up about 18" into 80' of 1" black plastic pipe that lays on top of a stone wall next to the pool. The difference in temperature between the input at the pool and the output of the pipes is about 2°F. A timer turns the pump on in the morning about the time the sun hits the pipes and off in the evening when the sun goes off the pipes. This heats the pool very nicely so that we can swim in it comfortably (72°F to 84°F water temperature) from May 1st through October 31st. Some of us go longer than that. In the middle of the summer if the temp gets too high I adjust the timer.

We also keep fish in the pool (commets & a koi) so there is no chlorine. I do a water change about twice during summer and then in the fall and again in the spring. In the winter the pool freezes about a foot thick leaving space below that for the fish to make it through the winter. We're in northern Vermont in the mountains zone 3.