Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
hillbilly in training
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting too close to winter to not have this job done, but its almost finished. Bout froze to death last year without it so I hope it was worth the trouble. I sawed the wood on our band saw mill to 3/4 inch then attached a simple frame under the house to nail them to. I opted to run the boards vertical so it would be easy to follow the contour of the ground.

·
hillbilly in training
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Getting our first freeze tonight, so it was just in time. I'm hoping I won't need to batten over all the cracks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thats going to make a big difference in comfort.

a lot of the draft comes in between where the skirting stops and where the trailer begins. at that joint. so you need something there from what i am learning from my own situation.

cant tell from your photo, but you have to make sure the junctions between where the where that piece of trim is attached (top and bottom) is properly flashed or otherwise it acts as a siphon for water to enter the crawlspace when it rains (or daily dew formation). also have to make sure that belly board or thick tarp at the bottom of the mobile home where it is attached to the sides (next to the skirting) is good and secure with no holes or else the water hitches a ride straight into the belly causing extensive wood rot. great if you have all that taken care of, but adding this to let other folks know. its discouraging as heck to do all that work and then later on realize you caused more trouble than had you just not done any of it. (ask me , for i know this personally, i could write a book on dumb stuff u should not do to your home) :facepalm:

·
hillbilly in training
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure I probably didn't do it right. The mobile home is supposed to be temporary while I build something else, but temporary has a way of dragging on sometimes so I do need to keep it in as good shape as possible. Thanks for the advice. It does seem to be helping temperature wise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts