DIY PVC Hoophouse

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by rininger85, Aug 29, 2017.

1. rininger85

rininger85 Well-Known Member

2. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

Looks good....

MoBookworm1957 likes this.

3. rininger85

just a note on the materials I've bought so far - so far my "spare parts" that I have left from the materials list I noted at the beginning is 1/2 a length of the 1.5" PVC conduit and a few scraps of 2x4's (only one that is longer than 36", and that is just because I have one board I need to put in under one of my windows still), everything else has been used completely to this stage in the build, including I ran out of screws (which is why I have not installed the last board under the window... I probably have more screws around here someplace but I haven't gone looking for them yet). I had a longer scrap 2x8 left but I used it to box in the bottom of the vertical beam supports to keep the beams from rotting a little longer, so I used all but about 2" of that... everything else scraps are probably about 20" or less for 2x4's.

Also I added the 4 windows which were something I had on hand, they were freebies that my dad had saved for me when he took them out of someones house.

4. rininger85

It's been a long couple of months with no money to put towards this project, but I finally got a couple of OT checks which gave me a little extra cash, so I just ordered a 32x45' piece of 6 mil 4 year greenhouse poly for $178.99 (with shipping) so I will hopefully be able to get the plastic up in the next couple of weeks. This brings the project total to $685.80 so far. Once I have the plastic I will figure out how I want to enclose the ends.

5. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

Where Did you get the poly from

6. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

Close your ends before you put the cover on.

mreynolds likes this.
  7. Bellyman

Bellyman Well-Known Member

Fulltime RVer looking for a Tennessee homestead
    It might be a stupid question, but would you get more light into the greenhouse if you covered the ends with the same plastic that you're using for the main part of the tunnel? It might not matter a lot but it's something I wondered about.

Haven't had the pleasure of building one of these yet but I suspect there is one in my not so distant future. :)

8. rininger85

Not a stupid question at all... I have considered just using plastic but my original plan was to frame them in out of plywood then put vinyl siding on the outside since I have a bunch left from my small greenhouse build. I am now considering using this which I've used on several hunting shacks https://www.homedepot.com/p/LP-SmartSide-SmartSide-48-in-x-96-in-Strand-Panel-Siding-27874/100055901

My thought is the ends I won't have to replace... But it may cost more up front. I didn't order enough plastic to do the ends but I have some other stuff that is either 4 or 6 mil 10ft wide x 100 ft roll I could make the ends out of to save some money for now..
    It would probably only last a couple years but would be cheaper than having to buy something else right now...

Eventually I am planning to have a fairly large workbench (possibly just 4*8 plywood size for the top) t have room for planting seeds and working on stuff... It will be up against the far wall so I was thinking it would be nice to have wood walls to hang stuff on near the workbench. The other end near the door I am thinking I will hang garden tools so they aren't out in the weather all the time and I don't have to carry them across the yard to one of the other buildings all the time. I am thinking I might put an IBC tank for storing water in the greenhouse for watering the plants in there and maybe house more fish in it. Not really a reason I can't use plastic, just had more permanent ideas for it instead.

mreynolds, bobp and Bellyman like this.
  9. rininger85

In the summer time I will have to use shade cloth or it will be scorching hot in the hoop house. I visited one down the road early spring when it was probably 40 to 50 degrees out and it was probably 90 degrees I'm his hoop house, so when it's 80 out the hoop house will be quite unpleasant if I don't use shade cloth. So wood walls on the end will help in the summer I think (short of just taking the plastic walls down)... In the winter I don't expect to grow much other than maybe lettuce and cold greens in it. I have my small greenhouse which is my bigger focus for winter growing. I hope to be able to grow year round in the small greenhouse.

bobp and Bellyman like this.
  10. rininger85

I will do them at about the same time that way the inside of the end walls is protected by the plastic, but the plastic will overlap the end wall to seal it.

11. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

Yup. Makes it a lot easier to cover with the ends done in case wind comes up. Been there.

12. mreynolds

mreynolds Well-Known Member

You will love the Smart siding. Its structural like plywood and has the same warranty as Hardi siding. Not fire proof like Hardi is all. It will sturdy it up real good on the ends.

13. rininger85

my hunting shack on my home property is 6ft x 6ft raised so the floor is about 8ft off the ground... that's what I used for it... our hunting property cabin down south started out as an 8x8 that we didn't use it on (which started looking like crap, but with our additions we've finished covering all but one wall of the original cabin and my dad ended up having someone give him a brown/tan vinyl siding which is just a shade darker than the smart siding so covered the last wall of the original cabin with it), but then added on a 12x12 which used it, then an 8x8 storage room that used it, another 12x12 bedroom which used it, and finally a second 12x12 bedroom which used it... so I'm pretty familiar with it... I just don't know what the wife is going to think. She tolerated it on my hunting shack but that's at the back of our property... I don't know if she'll want it on the hoop house or if she'll want something else. I might end up with regular plywood then cover it with vinyl siding because I miscalculated and bought more than I needed when I built my small greenhouse. The hoophouse is about halfway back on our property (which is only 150 yards deep x 100 yards wide) so I have to get approval from her for what I end up doing.

14. rininger85

My MIL and BIL helped me cover the hoop house this morning! Wasn't planning on covering it for a couple more weeks so I'm pretty excited. Not half bad for a bunch of amateurs, a couple wrinkles I'll smooth out just wanted to get the worst of it secured.

[​IMG]

Solar Geek and no really like this.
  15. rininger85

Other side
    [​IMG]

no really likes this.
  16. rininger85

Looks a lot nicer having it enclosed. Hopefully this will give us enough room for a few years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bobp, no really and Skandi like this.
  17. rrconvert

rrconvert Member

nice job on the hoophouse . Built one a few years back when we were doing a produce market so we could get an early jump on sales. upgraded later to a full greenhouse. i'd like to stop by somtime to see your operation,sounds impressive.

18. rininger85

thanks rrconvert. I'm not sure it's very impressive yet... but if you have an excuse to come this way you could stop by and check it out. I still have a lot of active projects and not so many completed projects, but eventually we'll have a pretty nice setup. I want to get to the point that we're able to grow almost all of our food onsite... we're probably close to that now once we get the hoop house up and running, but still a lot to learn about when to plant/harvest each item, when to reseed for second plantings, what plants like what temps, what we can grow through the winter, what should be started in the winter greenhouse, what should be started in the hoop house, what should be started in the beds etc... if we get to a point that we can grow most of our own food then I might consider setting up a roadside stand for the extras but we are probably at least a few years away from that yet. I would really like to set up a much bigger aquaculture area and be able to grow a lot more fish for the local market because I don't think there is any competition nearby... I am still trying to find my preferred fish for that though. I've grown rainbow trout and blue tilapia, now growing hybrid bluegills and channel catfish just to see what we like the best and what grows the best in our conditions.

19. rininger85

Door is on and plastic is trimmed

[​IMG][​IMG]

bobp likes this.