Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that there's a busy birthday season headed my way followed by Christmas. What are some of your favorite DIY gifts? I'm running out of more simple, affordable ideas.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you do / like to do?
I'm a woodworker, so I make things out of wood:
View attachment 90907

View attachment 90908

View attachment 90909
That's so awesome!

I'm definitely not a woodworker...it seems so many people can make these amazing DIY gifts, but I think I always fall short when I try to do them.

I've tried doing sugar scrubs, but I think I just wasted my time...I gave them and got weird looks and no word after so I never did it again. The costs for some DIY gifts are a little more than I want to invest in. I try to look for DIY gifts that I already have materials for.

I don't know what I'm awesome at. I'm not a super "crafty" type of person. I suppose that's usually my frustration. I like to save money, too, because we don't usually have an elaborate gift budget.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No idea what a sugar scrub is :)

Do you do any canning? Jelly? Soap? It's hard to know where to start.
I made mine with granulated cane sugar, coconut oil, and essential oils. I enjoyed using the ones I made.

Nope, I haven't learned canning. =(

I made soap a long time ago but it was premade stuff you melt into molds. Wasn't too amazed with it. I don't know how to make a from scratch. I have watched how on YouTube, but don't have the ingredients.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
IMG_0922.jpg
I make dish towel sets for nieces and nephews, shower gifts, just because I’m bored gifts. They do run about $15 for 7 towels plus my time but I don’t count my time, I need to be doing something anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For Christmas each year, I purchase some flip-top bottles:

And then fill them with the following:

Homemade Kahlua Recipe
Ingredients:
4 cups distilled water
1 1/2 cups instant coffee (crystals; not brewed. I prefer Folgers)
4 1.2 cups of vodka (100 proof)
8 cups of unrefined cane sugar
4 vanilla beans

Directions:
Mix water, sugar and instant coffee. Heat and stir until dissolved and then let it cool to room temp. Add the vodka and stir. Pour into six bottles (12 1/2 oz). Cut each vanilla bean into thirds or fourths and drop pieces into each bottle. Let it sit for 2 weeks and it's ready.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For Christmas each year, I purchase some flip-top bottles:

And then fill them with the following:

Homemade Kahlua Recipe
Ingredients:
4 cups distilled water
1 1/2 cups instant coffee (crystals; not brewed. I prefer Folgers)
4 1.2 cups of vodka (100 proof)
8 cups of unrefined cane sugar
4 vanilla beans

Directions:
Mix water, sugar and instant coffee. Heat and stir until dissolved and then let it cool to room temp. Add the vodka and stir. Pour into six bottles (12 1/2 oz). Cut each vanilla bean into thirds or fourths and drop pieces into each bottle. Let it sit for 2 weeks and it's ready.
Neat =D I don't have any alcohol drinkers that I know of in the family so I'd probably pass on making it, but pretty cool to know how to do that yourself =0

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Kstar, they are all by hand. I use iron on transfers or in the case of these motorcycles, I google “motorcycle coloring pages” edit them so they are all about the same size. I print them in sticky, water soluble paper and embroider thru it. Wash and it’s gone. Most of the sets are kitchen or animal theme but this nephew rides. Also did Disney princesses the same way for a Disney employed niece.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kstar, they are all by hand. I use iron on transfers or in the case of these motorcycles, I google “motorcycle coloring pages” edit them so they are all about the same size. I print them in sticky, water soluble paper and embroider thru it. Wash and it’s gone. Most of the sets are kitchen or animal theme but this nephew rides. Also did Disney princesses the same way for a Disney employed niece.
Awesome! They seem like they are pretty fun to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts