Division Fences

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Abouttime, May 23, 2006.

1. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

Does anybody have any knowledge/experience regarding property division fences? I realize this type of law may vary from state to state-I'm just asking for general information. Has anybody requested an adjoining landowner or been on the other side of such a request?
    Thanks

2. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

In MA we had two neighbors who had adjoining yards. When the arbovite on
    one property were ruined by an ice storm, they went half's on the fence. Usually if you want the fence, you can ask you neighbor but it's really your choice so you pay. I think here in swva it might be different if you are both going to have farm animals at some point.

I guess if i wanted a fence to keep my animals in, i wouldn't necessarily think my neighbors should pay 1/2. It would be nice though.

For us, when we had electric put in underground up to our houses, we decided to go up the property line so that we each paid 1/2 of what would have been a huge bill.

where in sw va are you from? We just moved here last spring and have built a house (never want to do that again)! We love it here though.

3. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

In Wisconsin, on farm land, you are responsible for 1/2 the fence to keep your neighbors animals in.
    Was just posted in the Crawford County News letter.

4. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

The neighbors on one side of me run cattle, they have a fence on the line we agreed too., We don't have live stock so we did not go in halves on the cost. If we ever did want to run cattle or live stock we would be expected to either put up our own fence or pay half of his cost. We will never do animals so it does not matter. He just called yesterday and told me he was going to change out some wire across theback of our property that ajoins him. Any time anyone is going to do something on the line our of courticy you tell the neighbor.

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

In Indiana the law in the country requires you to put up the right half of the line fence when either of you request a fence good enough to hold livestolk. That includes horses, hogs, and cattle. The farm fences are almost a thing of the past however because very few farms have either livestock, or fences anymore. I could see where you might have to take legal action to get the old law enforced here now.