Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
2,536 Posts
suz....here's a good, common-sense article on what to eat DURING a flare-up and as you begin to get better. Hope it helps.

stef
P.S. again, with no insult intended to anyone, now is not the time to experiment with wholistic or alternative methods of recovery. Get well first and then do some reading to decide if any alternative method might work for you.

Food to eat during Diverticulitis flare-up.A low-residue diet is recommended during the flare-up periods of Diverticulitis to decrease bowel volume so that the infection can heal. An intake of less than 10 grams of fiber per day is generally considered a low residue Diverticulitis diet. If you have been on a low-residue diet for an extended period of time, your doctor may recommend a daily multi-vitamin/mineral supplement. Here's a brief menu for Diverticulitis:
Grain Products:
· enriched refined white bread, buns, bagels, English muffins
· plain cereals e.g. Cheerios, Cornflakes, Cream of Wheat, Rice Krispies, Special K
· arrowroot cookies, tea biscuits, soda crackers, plain melba toast
· white rice, refined pasta and noodles
· avoid whole grains
Fruits:
· fruit juices except prune juice
· applesauce, apricots, banana (1/2), cantaloupe, canned fruit cocktail, grapes, honeydew melon, peaches, watermelon
· avoid raw and dried fruits, raisins and berries.
Vegetables:
· vegetable juices
· potatoes (no skin)
· alfalfa sprouts, beets, green/yellow beans, carrots, celery, cucumber, eggplant, lettuce, mushrooms, green/red peppers, potatoes (peeled), squash, zucchini
· avoid vegetables from the cruciferous family such as broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale, Swiss chard etc
Meat and Protein Choice:
· well-cooked, tender meat, fish and eggs
· avoid beans and lentils
· Avoid all nuts and seeds, as well as foods that may contain seeds (such as yogurt)
Dairy:
· as directed by your healthcare providers
When symptoms of Diverticulitis improve, you may ease off of the Diverticulitis diet and gradually add more fiber back into your diet. A high-fiber diet is very important in preventing future Diverticulitis attacks. As you increase your fiber intake, increase your fluid intake as well.
The SEROVERA® Advantage
Diverticulitis diet during an attack
During an attack of Diverticulitis, your doctor may recommend Diverticulitis treatments. Your doctor may also recommend that you stick to a clear liquid diet for two or three days.
Foods and beverages allowed on a clear liquid diet include:
· Broth
· Clear soda
· Fruit juices without pulp
· Ice chips
· Ice pops without bits of fruit or fruit pulp
· Plain gelatin
· Plain water
· Tea or coffee without cream

Diverticulitis diet once signs and symptoms begin to resolve As you start feeling better, your doctor will recommend that you slowly introduce low-fiber foods.
Low-fiber foods include:
· Canned fruits
· Desserts without seeds or nuts
· Eggs
· Enriched white bread
· Fruit juice with little or no pulp
· Low-fiber cereals
· Milk
· Yogurt or cheese without seeds or nuts
· Smooth peanut butter
· Tender meat, poultry and fish
· White rice or plain pasta, noodles or macaroni
· Well-cooked vegetables without seeds or skins

Diverticulitis diet after an attack If you're no longer experiencing Diverticulitis, your doctor may recommend you eat a high-fiber diet.
Slowly increase the amount of fiber in your diet. As your body adjusts to your new diet, you can add more fiber. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber each day if you're a woman, and 38 grams of fiber each day if you're a man.
High-fiber foods include:
· Brown rice
· Fruits
· Legumes, such as lentils and dried beans
· Whole-grain breads, such as whole wheat, rye and bran
· Whole-grain cereals that include wheat, bran or oats
· Wild rice
· Vegetables

· Premium Member
3,355 Posts
I've got one, it's never caused me troubles. As a few in this thread have mentioned, if affects different people in different ways. Just because person A can't have grains doesn't mean person B can't either.

It is my understanding that they can be removed during a colonoscopy, in a manner rather similar to a polip removal. Dr who did mine saw no reason to remove the one I had, even though he told me he could and I asked him to. Ah well. Different doctor next time.

· Registered
1 Posts
In the past, doctors recommended that people with diverticular disease (diverticulosis or diverticulitis) avoid foods that are difficult to digest, such as nuts, corn, popcorn and seeds, for fear that these foods would get stuck in the diverticula and cause inflammation.

You can eat at the same time:
1) Canned or cooked fruit without peels or seeds.
2) Canned or cooked vegetables such as string beans, 3) Carrots and potatoes (without peels).
4) Eggs, fish and poultry.
5) Refined white bread.
6) Fruit and vegetable juices without pulp.
7)Cereals that are low in fiber.
8) Milk, yogurt and cheese.

You should also take diverticulosis pills along with food. They will help speed up digestion and reduce pain.
I hope you are doing well!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts