Diva Cup--A Question (Women Only)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by amelia, Jul 24, 2005.

1. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

I see you guys--now get out of here, I mean it. NOW!

Okay--back to my question. I was so impressed by what everybody was saying on this forum a few weeks ago about the Diva Cup that I went and ordered one. Now I'm a little perplexed about how to use this thing--especially the "twist" and spring open part. First, I'm not able to rotate it--it's really stuck in there, and there's not a lot to grab on to. Second, it's not springing open--it's still basically squished together (maybe I should be thankful that I've got good muscles. . .?) Am I missing something?

2. logcabn

logcabn Well-Known Member

I run into this problem once in a while to I'm not sure what causes it but i find just pulling it down a tiny bit will help it to open and as for the twisting you really have to reach up high or do it when you got it down a bit and then put it back up in there. I also find a few kegles after help to get it into place, where it is very confortable I still have trouble remembering it's in there some times I have to mark it on the calendar or set a timer for 12 hours.

3. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Is it up in there far enough? I use the keeper, but I think it's pretty much the same design. I'm thinking that if you can feel that it is still squished together, then it's not in far enough. Maybe give it a push and then it will open (it really can't get lost, so don't worry about that!). Also, I don't give mine a twist, I tilt it instead...it probably depends on how you are shaped.

4. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I think the twisting part is to make sure it's opened up all the way (and tight in there). It took me a few times to get it right. But it's important that you do, or it won't work!

It's great that you got one, I wish more women would use it because it's so much better for the environment and I think it's just so easy and convenient.

take care,

Beaux

5. All country

All country Well-Known Member

The first 3 or 4 months I had mine, I hated it. First of all it hurt putting it in. I thought it should be smaller. I couldn't get it to open up it seemed too snug in there. I was determined to make this thing work for me so, I kept at it. Now I am glad I did. I found that if I don't really fold it in half, but just fold the top section in on the one side I have an easier time with it. Just took some practice. Once it is properly in place you can't even feel it's there. Inserting and removing it is still uncomfortable though.

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Are you folding in half, then half again? I have a hard time keeping it from springing open before I get it where I need it to be, so I'm not sure. Maybe it's tilted in a funny way that is holding it closed. And I agree with the above, if you can feel it, it's not in far enough.

When you grab it to rotate it, don't grab the little tip thing, pinch on the lower part of the cup itself and turn it. If you can't get ahold of it, bear down a little first and it should come down towards your fingers enough that you can grab it.

It does get easier and more comfortable. It took me a few months before I was really used to it, but I love mine now. It's amazing really.

7. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member

I have a Keeper, and I think that the shape is slightly different from the Diva cup (they're also made of different materials: keeper is rubber, Diva is silicone). But the concept is the same.

But I agree with the others, if it doesn't feel quite right, bear down a bit and try to reposition. The twist really is important, it helps to make sure that the cup is in properly. Twisting the cup also helps to make a seal, which creates a small amount of suction, ensuring that the cup stays in place and prevents leaks.

I did find that there was a learning curve, it took a month or two for me to really get the cup to work well. But once I figured it out, there was no going back. I've been using my keeper for over 3 years, and I can't imagine going back to the mainstream products. For the first few months, I used cloth pads at night for backup, but I quickly learned that those weren't even neccesary.