Disposing of dead livestock question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kppop, Mar 31, 2005.

1. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

We have 4 acres that we purchased a few months back. We were clearing some trees on it this past weekend and I noticed at the back of the property about 20 ft in on the other property was this huge pit that wasn't there before. Next to this pit is an empty single horse trailer and a pile of wood and old windows. I went and looked in the pit and there lies 2 dead cows. They didn't look real big but they were starting to decay. I don't know how long they have been there but I do know that they were't there a couple of weeks ago..we walk that property alot and would have noticed a pit.

We went back out last night and were walking on our property marking trees to clear to make room for the house. I get a nice whiff of rotting flesh :(

My question is this...is this legal? The pit is open and there is no lime or anything on the bodies. I haven't called anyone or asked anyone about it because I honestly don't know who to call. I thought maybe someone here would now the answer..if this is perfectly legal then I will put up with it but if it's not then I will do something about it.

They have a deer stand about 5 ft in their property but facing mine. We have loads of deer coming thru here and from what I can tell they are still shooting. (shot gun shells in the area that weren't there before) I also know that the previous owners didn't give anyone permission to hunt on the property. The fence is the first thing going in and that will done shortly. Fences do make good neighbors :) It makes me nervous to think that someone is still hunting on that land and they could be hunting when we are there. You can't see or hear the front of the property from where the tree stand is and I plan on buying orange vests for all of us to wear when out there.

So, any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

kppop

2. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh dear Kppop--sounds awful. I would think it is NOT legal, as it will breed flies and other vermin. When we lived in OK, there was a place you could call when your animals dies, and they would pick them up for rendering. We just had to drag them with the tractor to the end of the driveway. I think I would report it--not sure if you should call animal control. the health department, or county extension agent. I would also be sure they get a good look at the treestand, so that one could be nipped in the bud too!

Good luck!

3. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

You just bought the place, therefore you are the new one. I wouldn't report them, unless you want to start a war with your neighbors. You will be un-welcome before you even move in.

Around here, farmers just bury the cows, or leave them lay for the buzzards. Don't think it's illegal at all. At least he dug a pit for them. All the old farmers I know drag them out with the tractor and bury them. I would not like to drive around here in the country and see dead animals "out by the road". I've never seen one "waiting for pickup" in all the years we have been out in the country here.

4. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

Thanks Tinker. I think animal control might be the place to start and if they can't help they can point to who can.

Dh said he will talk to the owners first about the deer stand ( I am assuming it's their since it's on their land) and let them know that we will be on the property clearing trees and building our home. I don't think they are going to be too happy when their deer buffet is closed down but you never know..they might not even know the property has been sold and someone is working on it. Their home is way on the other end of their property and you can't see in ours because of the woods. As I said the fence is going up soon along with the NO HUNTING and NO TRESPASSING SIGNS.

Them hunting on my property scares me..we are there until 8pm or later just about every night. We work on the land and then build a fire and enjoy the peace and quiet. It was just beautiful last night..the peepers were going full blast. :)

5. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

(********

oh no no no...no war with the neighbors! LOL We are moving to the country for peace and quiet and we all know war is anything but quiet! :)

I wasn't surprised to see the dead cows as I know farmers around here either bury or burn them..I think the open pit surprised me more and thought they would've filled it in.

Like I said..the fence is going up shortly and will have signs on it.

kppop

6. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Hi, y'all, I haven't been around in awhile ... sick kids ... writing the Great American Novel ... and so on seem to take time :confused:

Anyway, we have 24 hours to dispose of carcasses in our state (Indiana) With smaller creatures, DH and FIL will burn them. DH tried composting carcasses but yuck, it did not work as advertised! There is a rendering plant about an hour from here which hauls away dead animals, for fertilizer. They charge $80 per head for horses and $25 for cattle. I asked why the difference, because we lost our two old horses the same year, and they said there is less usable material from a horse. :confused:

We live in an intense livestock area so it is profitable for the company to continue.

I don't know what other options are in other states.

hope you get that taken care of. Not a happy situation1
    Ann

7. MichelleB

MichelleB Well-Known Member

I wonder if whoever dumped the cows and trailer didn't intend to come back and fill in the pit and remove the trailer. Maybe this weekend you'll have visitors?

In any case, it's inappropriate to use another person's property to dispose of waste. Neighbor wars be damned, I wouldn't put up with it. I might casually inform my neighbors of my new ownership of the land, in case the land had previously been greatly unusued.

If nobody fesses up to it, that trailer and scrap wood could come in handy. (Is it registered?)

8. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i guess i woudl see wherethis pit and triler is in relation to property lines, first of all
    then i would decide what to do about it
    open pit with smelling animals is nasty, an anon call to the animal control folks would be par for the course imho
    of course ive been listening to the news here about the man in missouri who had 125 horses seized from his land, and they found 8 dead and several of the horses had to be euthanized because they were so ill malnourished ....
    i would err on the side of the law, neighbors be damned,
    and get a nice big LGD to walk the land with , a pyrnees x shepard comes to mind, or similar, soemthign that barks and looks imposing
    the more time you spend there the less time the deer will have , and the less fun it is for hunters

in mo/ark we havethe purple paint law, but its not always respected from theillegal hunters no amount of signs or paint will stop them ...
    but a few calls to the local enforcement authorities will bring a bit of fear respect into them
    Beth

9. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

We are thinking that they might be back to fill the pit in. At least that's what I"m hoping. That trailer and the trash has been there since the first time we saw the property and looks like it's been there a long time but that really doesn't mean anything.

The pile of trash and the pit and trailer is about 15 in on their property..it's not on mine or I"d be having a cow to put in the pit :)

We plan on introducing ourselves these neigbors so that they know for sure the land has been sold and is being cleared for building. We met the guy who lives across the lane..he has 6 acres and seems like a nice enough guy. He said he's seen ppl on our land hunting well after deer season but hasn't called anyone because they are always on foot and take off in the woods..he's assuming it's the guys behind me.

The trailer has a plate but its old and so is the trailer..but it's still in pretty shape...might offer to take if off their hands. :)

10. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

The trailer and pit are about 15-20ft in on their land across the back of my land. It's just an odd spot for a pit to show up know what I mean? I wish I had pictures! It would be so much easier to explain. My land is fully wooded and their's isn't...it's part corn field and part useless field..what runs along my property line is the grassy usuless part and it's about a 30ft or so band. I hope the makes sense! lol

I've heard very little about the purple paint law and it's a shame that ppl can't respect other ppls things or property. I know the signs just might be a waste of money and time but it will make me feel better. :) Right now we are there just about every night of the week..it's raining tonight or we'd be there now. And we are there all day Saturday. I really hope the deer stay and just learn to live around us...it's beautiful land and we are keeping more than 3/4 of it wooded.

I own 2 labs who are house pets but have and will protect the family if needed but they aren't livestock or farm dogs. These ppl behind us either board dogs or raise dogs or train dogs or something..they have quite a few kennels out back. I don't mind dogs at all..I don't mind barking, I"ve learned to tune it out a long time ago. We wont' have problems with the dogs unless they are allowed to run free and run on my property. If that's the case I'll be digging my own pit :)

11. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get too crazed about the pit. Just go over and introduce yourselves as the neighbors and ask them when they are planning on filling it in. At the same time you can ask them if they have seen anyone hunting your property. Depending on the response you get you'll have tod ecide how to proceed.

Mike

12. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

lol..you've been talking to my husband haven't you? That's about how's it gonna go..he doesn't want them to feel like he's accusing them of something but he wants to make his point clear that it won't continue if they are doing it. He's already talked to the guy across the street and he's really cool about things..he asked us to give him our phone number when we start building so he can let us know if anything funny is going on. This is a small, small town and one of my dh's friends knows this guy and says he's alright.

It's a beautiful piece of land and we were lucky to find it. It sits on a dirt lane about 1 1/2 miles long..dead-end with a huge Amish farm sitting on a man made lake at the very end. There are only 3 families total living there and we make 4 and only 5 ppl own property on that lane.

13. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

I don't know about other places, but in PA, as long as the animal didn't die of a major disease/health hazard, you can take them to a landfill. I've had to do this with 2 of my horses. Cost was only about $50 each, compared to a rendering co. pick-up at over $200!

14. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

It depends on your state law, & local enforcement of such. My state only allows composting in wood chips in a special building; burning of poultry in a special burner, or pick-up by a rendering plant. Then they regulated the rendering plants so hard that most went out of business, rest raised their fees 1000% to stay in business and are 100's of miles away. Beilive you either pay $100 a pickup, or $1000 a year to be on the 'route' these days. And of these are highly regulated & permited & lots of expense. Typically costs $1000 a year no matter which method one uses, or peel $100 bills off for every death. All set up for the big operations, but same regulations apply to a person with 10 cows.....

Really, leaves a farmer with few options in the 'real world'. Hope everyone is careful how they judge this situation. Before man was here, it was common for about that many # of animals to die & rot on the ground...

I'd think if they knew someone was there & clearing & planning to build, they would not dispose of critters in that way that close to the property line any more. I would do the very friendly visit re: the animal issue. You could get them in very much trouble if you start dialing phone numbers on this, and it may well be a total oversight. You could make _very_ bitter feelings on this, backing people into a corner and putting them out of the cattle business for something they just did not realize - your presence.

Hunting is more difficult. It is common to have established hunting areas for decades, they might just not know you have moved in. Or, they could be some of the neighbors from heck, & will by gum hunt that property no matter what..... I guess I'd try the fence & friendly visit, not make waves, and see how the wind is blowing. _Most_ hunters are pretty good about it, we only hear about the bad ones.

--->Paul

15. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

That was a very good answer Rambler. On both issues. Yeah, it'd be hard enough to loose 2 calves, much less have someone turn you in. 2 calves is allot of $$ around here.

On the hunting issue, our farm was abandoned 10 years before we found it, and people still come up the steep long road once in a while to check it out for fall hunting. Allot of guys hunted up here for years, no one cared one bit or someone told them they could 20 yrs ago. It's like that out here. When they get up to my gate, I go out and chat with them. Met allot of nice fellows, and learned allot of this farm's history & neat stuff about families who lived here before. The visitors are suprised & pleased that someone has finially moved in up here again, and all of them are very nice. They even offer to bring back venison for us, since we love it so much. KY usually has no limit on #'s you can take, depending on the year, and the guys just love to hunt, and are happy to find folks to share it with. Their freezers are always full, but none that I've met or know would hunt and not take the meat. The hunting stand facing her property might just be facing that way to keep the tree trunk blocking the wind. We have had several tree stands along the property line woods, facing towards our pastures, but not once, ever has anyone shot a deer in our pasture, they shoot them in the woods on their side.

At my old farm, there was always mushroom hunters, who'd gotten them there all their lives, these were old guys too. I finially stoped one of them and wanted a peek inside their caps they were holding to see what everyone was getting. I told them they were more than welcome to get their mushrooms, and told them which field the bull was in. :)

Kppop, once you get a brand new fence up the back line, they will know you have moved in. But now, like Rambler said, most probably don't even realize your are there.

16. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

Kppop, once you get a brand new fence up the back line, they will know you have moved in. But now, like Rambler said, most probably don't even realize your are there.

Cindy, I agree with both you and Rambler. I don't want cause trouble for someone who dumped their animals because they can't afford to have them picked up..not that I know this is the case, but you know what I mean.

For all I know I could be making a mountain out of a mole and these ppl could be the nicest ppl ever and turn out to be the neighbors we've always wanted.

I agree that they probably have no clue the land was sold and that someone is there working. We are going out tommorow and Dh is going to introduce himself and let them know we are working on the land and that we will be fencing our land in and if they have any concerns or questions to let us know. I think it's only common curtesy to let them know we will be fencing in so they can be assured the fence will be on our land.

We want to have a good relationship with our neighbors and don't want to cause anyone any undo harm. He plans on asking about the deerstand..who knows..it may not even be their's but I think once they know we are there and plan on building, it will be removed by whomever owns it..it won't be much fun hunting 30ft or so from my backyard and 100ft from my house. I think it will all work out for the best..I can deal with dead cows..the smell does goes away.:) I'm just concerned for the safety of my children who love to roam the property and explore. I don't want one of them or one of my dogs mistaken for a deer. Know what I mean?

Thank you all for your replies..I really appreciate it.

kppop