Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
mark an eight, dude!
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of old Coleman style propane cylinders I would like to get rid of, but I've heard you're not supposed to put them in with regular trash. So what do you do with them? I suppose I could be like everyone else in this county and toss them along the road somewhere... :no: But wouldn't you know I'd probably get caught and they'd think I was running a meth lab or something!

·
Registered
124 Posts
You could pay to get rid of them, that would be the right thing to do. Or you could make a junk pile, or add them to a junk pile with broken appliances and paint cans. That stuff is usually expensive to throw away though, especially like tvs and microwaves.

·
Premium Member
18,083 Posts
Flutemandolin, you can throw the canisters in the trash if they are empty. If there is still propane in them, you must bring them to a household hazardous waste collection facility. You cannot recycle the canisters with metal soda and food cans. This is the correct information for Minnesota (and you know who I work for!)

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
We just seperate them when wehave spring cleanup dump day and the landfill sends them to hazarous waste for us.

·
mark an eight, dude!
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Cabin, that's what I needed to know! They are all empty. Just doing a little spring cleaning around the place!

·
Registered
700 Posts
james dilley said:
try refilling them an adapter is avalible then you can sell them at the flea market
Now on those little "tourch" cylinders you can get inside wal-mart, Bernz-O-matic, etc.

According to the Label, it is illegal to transport a cylinder if it has been recharged?

Why is that?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Along the same line: I have 2 old propane cyclinders that were on my trailer when I bought it. They are not refillable (wrong fittings). where can i get rid of them?.

·
Registered
550 Posts
A lot of the time, you can trade old, obsolete tanks for new, safer versions at gas stations, grocery stores, and Walmart. It's about $20 out here to trade for a new, full tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts