Disposal of small propane containers?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by flutemandolin, May 19, 2004.

1. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

I have a bunch of old Coleman style propane cylinders I would like to get rid of, but I've heard you're not supposed to put them in with regular trash. So what do you do with them? I suppose I could be like everyone else in this county and toss them along the road somewhere... :no: But wouldn't you know I'd probably get caught and they'd think I was running a meth lab or something!

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

try refilling them an adapter is avalible then you can sell them at the flea market

3. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

You could pay to get rid of them, that would be the right thing to do. Or you could make a junk pile, or add them to a junk pile with broken appliances and paint cans. That stuff is usually expensive to throw away though, especially like tvs and microwaves.

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Flutemandolin, you can throw the canisters in the trash if they are empty. If there is still propane in them, you must bring them to a household hazardous waste collection facility. You cannot recycle the canisters with metal soda and food cans. This is the correct information for Minnesota (and you know who I work for!)

5. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

We just seperate them when wehave spring cleanup dump day and the landfill sends them to hazarous waste for us.

6. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

Thanks Cabin, that's what I needed to know! They are all empty. Just doing a little spring cleaning around the place!

7. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Now on those little "tourch" cylinders you can get inside wal-mart, Bernz-O-matic, etc.

According to the Label, it is illegal to transport a cylinder if it has been recharged?

Why is that?

8. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

Along the same line: I have 2 old propane cyclinders that were on my trailer when I bought it. They are not refillable (wrong fittings). where can i get rid of them?.

9. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

A lot of the time, you can trade old, obsolete tanks for new, safer versions at gas stations, grocery stores, and Walmart. It's about $20 out here to trade for a new, full tank.

10. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Put them in nylon hose and tie them to a trout line for bobbers.