Dispensing Cydectin

Discussion in 'Goats' started by stacygoats, Sep 16, 2006.

1. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

Alright, I was going to deworm goats this morning, but by the time I filled up the syringe(w/o needle) and went to the give it to the goat it would not come out. I could not hardly push the plunger down on the syringe. I think this stuff makes the rubber plunge on the syringe on the plunge expand or something.
    What am I doing wrong, because there has to be a better way to get this stinky stuff into a goat?

I also tried putting it on a piece of bread, but them there goats are not going for that either!

LOL I do have a new workout though, wrestle a boer goat and try to but nasty stuff down it throat, only to find out you can't get the stuff to come out of a syringe.

2. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Just did this 2 days ago. Take the plunger and put a couple of drops of cooking oil into it and "work it" a few times. This loosens it and you will not have any problems...Joan :)

3. tioga12

tioga12 Well-Known Member

OH, yes...I had that problem using cydecin too! ARGH
    Someone told me that in our area we don't need to use that-it is overdoing it-so I get Safeguard pellets and they gobble them up :)

4. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I was told that I coould use Vegetable Oil. Could you imagine doing 54 goats all at the same time with that stuff? So, I dip it in the container of vegetable oil I take along and run that through it when it starts sticking on me.
    What's worse is when the goats bite down on the syringe. They don't last long after that. :rolleyes:

5. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I found that the larger syringes last longer then the smaller. (6 or 12 cc compaired to 3cc) I also used a child medication dosing syringe a couple of times. It has an extention tube that you can slide into the side of their mouth (unfortunately, it sometimes came out the other side)

I just want to mention that if you use a goat tape for weight estimate, add 20% or you won't be giving enough wormer. Found that out the hard way. (the girls are finally filling out)

You're lucky togia, only half of mine would eat the pellets, even after mixing grain in it.

6. debd0712

debd0712 Well-Known Member

We don't seem to have the same problem - the Cydectin is so oily itself the syringes (only used when dosing a few) seem to stay well lubricated for extended periods - at least the time it takes to catch wild Boers. The Cydectin of course does dissolve the markings on the syringes. Normally we use a dosing gun for dosing large numbers of goats and have never had a problem with those either, though they do tend to be much higher quality syringes.

Debbie

7. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I've got vegtable oil out in the barn already, what a easy fix.
    I'll get back out there later this morning and get the rest of the goats dosed (Hopefully the sun will cut through the fog here in Michigan this morning)

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I use a nylon dosing syringe from jeffers. They are inexpensive, and last forever. Mine is at least 10 years old, and although they come with an extra O ring I have never replaced the first one. They have a stainless neck on them that the goats can't bite down on, and the cydectin does not make the increment marks rub off. I do grab and reuse old 3cc syringes in the kid pens for worming, but not on the bigger goats. The oil idea is a very good one, so is spraying with generic PAM. Vicki