disk or plow?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Farm boy88, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Farm boy88

Farm boy88 Active Member

I will pe farming about 4 acres this summer and have some questions. My first is this, the fields have rye that was planted in the spring of 04 I think, will a disk do the job or will i need to plow it? The soil is sandy.

Thanks
    Tom

2. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

The only reason to plow is to burry lots of organic material, or to reduce compaction. I like plowing, but It does contribute to erosion. IF you dont need to burry a lot of stuff, you can get away with just discing it in my opinion.

3. Farm boy88

Farm boy88 Active Member

Thanks. Where at in MI? I am in near the nail on the little finger. ;)

4. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

To make a good seed bed drag a harrow behind your disc or harrow after.

5. Sammy

Sammy Well-Known Member

What are you going to plant ?

Do you have a tractor ?

6. dieselfreak

dieselfreak Alfalfa Jake

The only time we ever use a plow is when there is corn stalks in the field, and that's just because it takes too many passes with a disk to chop up corn stubble. Your best bet woudl be to brushhog it down first then disk it, if you brushhog it first it takes fewer passes with the disk to chop up.

7. Farm boy88

Farm boy88 Active Member

I am not shure what I will plant. Any ideas? I will barrow a tractor and disk. I will look into using a brush hog.

Thank you all.

Tom

8. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I dont know,I only have a large garden at this point though would like to have 4 acres to farm when i get home.My garden is done using Ruth Stout's no till mulch method.I have lazy tendencies I can usually fight off but I still tend to take the easy way out.besides my neighbors said they have never seen corn as tall as mine last year,(I grew bloody butcher and Hopi blue)I learned a lesson even if you stagger the planting by a few weeks at least some of the later maturing variety will be tasseling the same time as the other and you will end up crossing them (Now I know)I guess I am going to have to buy all new seeds and start over.

9. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

I plow to stir up organic matter..as we were mostly clay..and it has taken a lot of organic matter..but every year it gets closer to the point where I think I will finally be able to grow root crops like carrots, radishes, and onions. Perhaps this year even.. :sing:

Anyway..I find for just getting ready to plant that the disc works the best..and while I have my tractor..I rent the disk for a day from the local Rent-a-Center. But hopefully this year I'll be able to afford my own disk..at least that's what we're trying to save for.

Best wishes for you and your garden.