Disinfection Money?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TwoAcresAndAGoat, Dec 12, 2004.

1. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

I just stopped by the store tonight to pick up something form my mother. Not until it was to late did I notice the casher blowing her nose. I took the change stuffed it in my wallet and went home and washed my hands.

Now my purchase was canned so I sprayed the outside with vinegar and let it air dry.

I took all the paper money out of my wallet sprayed it with vinegar then ironed it dry. Tossed my cloth wallet in the washer.

Does anyone know anyother way to disinfect paper money? I figured if the vinegar didin't kill the germs the hot iron would.

2. Montana Mom

Montana Mom Well-Known Member

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but do you realize how many germs you get into every day? Touching the supermarket cart, opening a public door, touching the checkout stand, the products in the store, etc...all germs...probably worse things than the poor cashier.

3. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

Oh I don't think you are rude for stating your opnion.

I also wipe down the shopping cart handle before I shop. And wash soda cans off before I drink from them. If someone I work with is sick They only use one phone then we disinfect it when they go home before the next shift needs to use it, same with keyboards. I walked out of a resturant once when I saw the cook was really sick, another one when the cook had a bloody bandage on his hand. I also think it is rude for someone to go to the restroom and not wash their hands when they are done the expect to shake hands with someone.

I know you can't avoid germs but why ingore the obvious?

4. Turalura

Turalura Well-Known Member

Yes money is dirty and can cause disease.

http://www.newsflash.org/2003/05/si/si001628.htm

Some simple but prudent practices could save your life. That's not to say we can avoid every bug but when we wash our hands, clean our homes, keep our hands away from the nose, eyes and mouth and avoid common contaminants we are simply trying to change the odds.

One of the main ways to stay healthy is to maintain a strong immune system.

I don't know how to disinfect money but I did read an article that used microwave ovens to disinfect used egg cartons ( the paper fiber ones) for re-use.

It seems like there are new research studies everyday proving that many of our chronic diseases are caused by viruses.

I don't worry about it, " Martha doesn't live here", but I do take normal precautions. But then I'm a nurse and can't help myself. :)

5. jejabean

jejabean Well-Known Member

Not meaning to scare anybody, but I disinfect my hands after touching money becausr so many singles and fives end up in g strings and other places due to strip clubs.

6. CoonXpress

CoonXpress Well-Known Member

TwoAcres, you're going to get in trouble with the Feds for 'Laundering' money. ;) ;)

Will

7. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

OK where are you ??? I'm in SW Michigan and it's pretty dull around here. Now Flint has more clubs than Detroit so thats one dirty place.

mikell

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I worked in a hospital lab for many years in microbiology and the specimens of contaminated patients. The most effective thing to prevent infection is handwashing. For aerosol is to wear a respiratory or surgical mask.

Other than that, store clerks and employees should be expected to practice good hygeine. It might sound rude, but it's probably doing good to kindly remind what you notice with sneezing and the high risk people working with close contact to the public. It might be offensive to them at first, but eventually when passed up the chain for management to get the message to have empolyees practice increased hand washing, than that might help.

As for cleaning money, maybe you could actually launder the coin by putting in tied bag or old sock and put in the wash cycle with bleach. The paper money obviously you wouldn't do that, so a light vinegar wipe if you really are concerned about it. Also, think of all the money circulating anyway that you haven't seen being sneezed on. You can only be protected so much. Handwashing surely is the best you can do. Most respiratory virus also are spread in the air, so wearing a mask can be an option sometimes during high risk season.

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

IMHO, this seems like a phobia. Perhaps, a bit of counseling is in order.

10. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Sorry but I do have to agree with Cabin Fever.

As for the money though, maybe you could use like a microwave steam sterilizer? (they are made for baby items but I would assume you could sterilze other things in them). Or maybe just wipe them off with a lysol disinfecting wipe or something.

11. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

I ask an old doctor about his good health and what he contributed it to. He said I never go out to eat in the winter time.

12. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Our family members all wash hands upon returning home. We also work on keeping hands away from the face. A couple bouts with bronchial pneumonia has made me cautious.

I like that Dr.'s philosophy. It makes sense.