Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm part of a team of MN DNR certified firearms safety instructors. The DNR has OKd the resumption of classroom instruction with some concessions to covid; smaller class size, social distancing, and masks. We use to have each student handle each different type of action and operate them so they knew what they were. DNR says we can not do this unless we can disinfect the guns between students. When I took FAS 59 years ago I really enjoyed handling the guns. Does anyone know of a disinfectant that won't hurt the finish (blueing, wood, plastic and nickel) given that it would have to be applied multiple times?

·
Registered
11,877 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Latest word from May 2020, is that you seldom can catch Covid-19 from touching surfaces. Somebody better bring their regulations up to date.

From my observation of the general public wearing masks of varying descriptions in varying configurations, unless they kept their hands in a pool of bleach it wouldn't matter since they fiddle with it constantly. I have left more deli counters after asking for them to slice meat than would be needed to feed a small village this last year. But, I am sure it has helped someone, somewhere to force these workers to stick a piece of cloth around their neck/chin/mouth and to touch it 8 times a minute.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Most disinfectants are alcohol-based and shouldn’t hurt the metal at all. Alcohol can damage some polymers, which includes many modern stock finishes.

If you have to do it, and are worried at all about the paint/finish, you could water the sanitizer down as low as Karen Covid will allow, and then immediately follow up with an oiled cloth at her prescribed safe-timing.

ETA: and take the nay-saying with the humorous grain of salt I’m sure it’s intended. Thank you for powering through and doing what you’re doing even in times when they’re trying to make it difficult for you.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'm surprised the DNR didn't issue some kind of guidelines for proper procedure.
It wouldn't make sense to have each student wear either latex or nitrile gloves. Expensive and maybe dangerous if someone has a latex allergy.
Could you maybe contact someone like Henry for some guidance?
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
13,851 Posts
Posted 4/11/21 12:37 AM CDST

As most all states are reducing distancing footage and surface sanitizing frequency and increasing occupancy percentages to increase taxable revenues as the government coffers are starting to feel the bite, a spray bottle of cleaning nitro solvent for metallic parts and light oil wipe down since it cleans acidic residues should satisfy the Covid regulators.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I was going to suggest just have the students wear gloves too.
Wearing gloves protects the wearer, no one else. So, they would have to change gloves every time they handled a different firearm.

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
I am in the same spot , I went with hornady one shot.

the one shot's solvent seems to be alcohol based an evaporates quickly.

this satisfied the states concern.

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
I'm surprised the DNR didn't issue some kind of guidelines for proper procedure.
It wouldn't make sense to have each student wear either latex or nitrile gloves. Expensive and maybe dangerous if someone has a latex allergy.
Could you maybe contact someone like Henry for some guidance?
Good luck.

that isn't how it works , we get an unfunded mandate by the state and we get to figure it out to keep our programs going.

welcome to bureaucracy

it also happens to police departments all the time.

we do this because we believe in educating youth in safe firearms use and teach them how to shoot.

·
Premium Member
27,077 Posts
If gloves won't work, could you have the students sanitize their hands before and after handling each firearm?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts