dishwashers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Irish Pixie, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

My dishwasher died yesterday morning. I am totally bummed. It was old..it was it's time to go. However, I need to buy another one-this weekend! Please tell about your favorite brand, which ones you've had problems with etc...

Thank you in advance.

Stacy in NY

2. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

Ours died a year ago -- 4th or 5th in 25 years. We decided not to buy another and are washing dishes by hand. I think it is more economical i.e. less electric, less water, less gas to heat the water and not as hard on the dishes.

3. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I bought one for my old place, I think it was maytag. What you will be amazed with is that the new ones are so quiet! I often didn't think it was running!

In my "new" place I had a small sized dishwasher. I thought I wouldn't llike it, but it turns out it's ideal. One meals worth of dishes fit in it nicely so I don't have dirty dishes stacking up in the dishwasher. It's a noisy old one though...

4. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought a Sears Kenmore in August. DH decided he was going to install it Wednesday this week. He started unpackageing it. Got the box off and the plastic. He said is that a dent in it? Sure enough on the front panel there was a big dent.

I knew it had been over 30 days since I purchased but I had also bought an extended warrenty. I called Sears and asked what they could do. They said they would order me another one and I could return that one when the other came in next week.

I don't know what one is best, but the reason I chose this one was it has a metal door closure and most of the others we looked at had plastic. I could not see plastic holding up as well as metal.

5. Irish Pixie

Thank you all for the advice. Not replacing it is not an option. I can't think of anything I loathe more than hand washing dishes. With our oldest daughter in her own apartment, and the youngest at VMI it's just DH and I and I only run the thing every other day, unless we have company, I still can't bear the thought of hand washing dishes. I use it for canning too...for washing and heating jars. I looked the other day at Sears when DD dragged me to the Mall and there's is just such a huge difference in the prices. There were some basic dishwashers for around $300 but some were over $1000. I guess I'll just have to do some comparison shopping. Uggh, back to the Mall.

Thanks all,

Stacy in NY

6. Rivka

Rivka Well-Known Member

I bought a frigidare this summer for about 400. Sears didn't carry the model I bought, I got it at an appliance store. http://www.frigidaire.com/products/dishwashers/built-in/24_inch/prod_GLD2350RC.asp
    There are just two of us, but we eat all meals at home. The great thing about it was that I could do a light wash on both or either racks, plus all the regular bells and whistles. It is very quiet. It also has two silverware baskets. I have no idea why, but I use a lot of silverware.

7. cafeaulaitinfj

cafeaulaitinfj Well-Known Member

We got a Frigidaire portable diswasher at Lowes about a year and a half ago. We rent, so we had to get the portable. It was a little more expensive than the built-ins and cost $350.00. I've been really pleased with it. There are six of us, so we run it at least once a day, sometimes twice.

Heather

8. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

My built-in GE dishwasher had a gasket go bad on it (it's 8 years old this month), But you don't fix that the repair guy says, you throw it away and buy another one---same price $400. I think that's disgusting that you can't fix things these days!

9. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I'm not sure which is best either.But i can say my next one will be Kenmore as will every other appliance i buy in my life time.Main reason is i no there built good.But also because when i worked for State Industries making water heaters.I seen how good the Kenmore products they made where.Quality control guys practical stood on the lines at all times tearing down finished product to looks for flaws in construction.This was the only time those guys really had to do anything.Every one knew to be on there toes on nights they where doing Kenmore heaters.This is not to say we didn't send out a couple of bad ones but there where far less of them sent out than any other brand heater they made(all other major brands where all treated equal). ;) I'm sure other company's that make there products probably go to great lengths as well, to meat there approval also. ;)

Also keep in mind you get what you pay for even Kenmore has lower cost appliances.To cut cost, quality parts are sometimes cut as well.Second quality parts used instead. ;) You cant expect a hundred dollar product to be as good or last as long as a five hundred dollar product.

10. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

We acquired a good used dishwasher from a friend for $100, 4 years ago. It was a portable model and I converted it to set under my counter. Plumbing was available and I only have it hooked to the hotwater not the cold. Works great.

11. cafeaulaitinfj

cafeaulaitinfj Well-Known Member

You know, I would go with Kenmore, if I had the money and I needed a new appliance. I kept getting these pricey vacuum cleaners from walmart and they kept breaking. I finally got fed up and went to sears. Got a vacumm cleaner for less than what I paid at walmart. I didn't have to do a ton of assembly like I did with the other ones and I've been very happy with it. I can get help finding bags and belts when I need them, too.

Heather

12. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

The less bells and whistles you have, the less can go wrong. That said, it is very important to get one that has the water wand at the top, and has an extender that comes up from the bottom to wash the bottom rack. This is what really washes the dishes. If you don't have those, you will probably have to rewash some dishes.
    So, bottome line is get the cheapest one you can with those two washer wands.

I wanted one that boosted the temperature of the water up so that I could set my water heater at a cooler temp (so no one gets burned in the sinks).

13. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a Whirlpool with all the fancy stuff...been using it six months now and I love it. We got it at Lowe's when they were having a sale and by the time the new house was finished and it was time to be delivered they no longer carried the model we'd bought. So...they upgraded it for free! So far I've been very happy with all the Whirlpool appliances we got for the new house.

14. Irish Pixie

After reading your comments and researching on the net we bought a Whirlpool Quiet Partner II. I love it, very quiet and does a bang up job.

Thank you all for your help.

Stacy in NY

15. tprice

tprice Tp in sc

Get a Kenmore. Sears.com has exploded parts views, manuals, and parts delivered to your door in two days. Our dishwasher is the basic, digital control model. Five years, two kids, no problems. tprice in sc

16. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

AH! for vacuum cleaners you should have went to K-mart! :haha:
    Seriously they will sell you warranty on items like that for 1 dollar i think it was.Anyway i usally dont pay for warranty's, but it just so happened that my wife did on our last vacuum purchase.Glad she did! She called me at work one day saying that the cord was throwing sparks out of the wall outlet.Long story short she called K-mart before i got home.The main office cut a check and had it in the mail that day.Got the total cost back for the vacuum.I had my wife call them back when i got home.She/We had pulled on the cord so much it had just pulled the end loose.No big deal and it was our fault.I had her call them back and tell them i could fix.They said no problem fix it throw it away,but they where sending the check anyway. And they did to! Way cool!
    Buy the way the vacuum still works. :D

17. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

For my $, Its Kitchenaid, 10 yrs old and still as quiet as new, never been repaired and runs every day at least once, unlike the GE sis had, which died after 4 yrs and sounded like a plane taking off.
    Rog

18. dmp437

dmp437 Member

No matter what look for the EnergyStar label. That means it will use less energy and over the life of the appliance it adds up. We recently installed a new Whirlpool in place of a HotPoint and the new unit uses half the power of the older one (about 12 years old) and has a much larger tub so you run it less.
    Most Kenmore dishwashers are made by Whirlpool, so either brand is essentially the same.

19. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought a dishwasher ten years ago. The appliance store had two see through dishwashers, a GE and a Maytag. The Maytag sprayed water all over the place at an incredible speed, but didn't use any more water than the GE, hmmm. the holes in the water thingy of the Maytag were drilled at an angle and caused the water to shoot out fast and furious. I bought the Maytag (and payed less). Yes, I was happy with the entire year we used it before moving.

20. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Thank you for keeping me working. Your washer is made in Findaly Ohio (I think) and engineered in Benton Harbor MI. We have an extensive customer satifaction department and would like to hear all comments good and bad big or small.

www.whirlpool.com

mikell