Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Designing my kitchen at a project house I’m going to be renting out. This house has septic, a first for me. Wifey wants to put a dishwasher in the kitchen, I say no, because I don’t want the extra water going in the septic, though I suppose modern ones don’t use TOO much water as compared to the old ones.
So you members with septic, would you do a dishwasher or not?
BTW, I didn’t want to deal with dumping grey water separately in the plumbing.

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
Designing my kitchen at a project house I’m going to be renting out. This house has septic, a first for me. Wifey wants to put a dishwasher in the kitchen, I say no, because I don’t want the extra water going in the septic, though I suppose modern ones don’t use TOO much water as compared to the old ones.
So you members with septic, would you do a dishwasher or not?
BTW, I didn’t want to deal with dumping grey water separately in the plumbing.
We don’t have a dishwasher, but I can’t see how it would be a problem with a septic tank. It may use more water, but it’s the solids that fill up a septic tank. I would assume the amount of food bits that end up going down the drain when you hand wash would be similar to what goes into a dishwasher.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Come to think of it, my dad is a real stickler for things being "the way they should be" and he's always had a dishwasher on a septic too.

The water softener filtration system is another story, he had us re route it to dump outside because it uses salt and he said that would kill the septic.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have a septic and a dishwasher. No powdered soaps, from what I understand.

No garbage disposal with a septic, is my understanding.
No problem there, I hate garbage disposals. Especially in rentals. I always pull them out. You’d be amazed at what people think they can dump down those!

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
It's not the septic tank, but the leach field that needs to be of concern. (Do you know where it is? Is it being driven over?) That's where the water goes. The solids stay in the tank. If you're considering that property for a rental, I'd be cautious as many city people don't understand them today and could put in lots of stuff that shouldn't be flushed into the tank.

I just redid my leach field and it was a little over $2000.00 for 50 feet to meet code.

I have had dishwashers and septic systems for about 20 years with no problems. This issue was because it's an old house and the septic was not done to code. I'm grandfathered in.

Reactions: wdcutrsdaughter

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
7,313 Posts
A dishwasher should not be an issue.

Adding a garbage disposal might be an issue. Since it is a rental you can not guarantee the tenants will be respectful of how they use it, so you would need to schedule the septic to be pumped and inspected at least every three years with a garbage disposal.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not the septic tank, but the leach field that needs to be of concern. (Do you know where it is? Is it being driven over?) That's where the water goes. The solids stay in the tank. If you're considering that property for a rental, I'd be cautious as many city people don't understand them today and could put in lots of stuff that shouldn't be flushed into the tank.

I just redid my leach field and it was a little over $2000.00 for 50 feet to meet code.

I have had dishwashers and septic systems for about 20 years with no problems. This issue was because it's an old house and the septic was not done to code. I'm grandfathered in.
I know where it is, and I never let anyone drive on it.
We actually have renters lined up to move in in October. We know them well enough to know their employment history and traits, but not so close of friends that they look at it as a free ride. :). They grew up around this rural area, so probably know more about septic than I do.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,791 Posts
IF you have a field drain system. No house that I have done in a couple of decades had field drains. They have aerobics and spray heads.

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
they side your septic to the number of bedrooms you have , showers take a lot of water

dishwashers are down where many claim a water savings over hand washing.

when you figure a big sink of water is probably 12 gallons and then you use that much again to rinse and maybe have to do two loads.

a 10 minute shower is about the same

some dish washers are down around 16 gallons

non issue

my in-laws have had a dishwasher and septic for 40 years they have to get it pumped annually for their local compliance of local regs but non issue

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
Thanks everybody, looks like you made my wife’s day. I’ll put a dishwasher in. No big deal, as the kitchen is a blank canvas. I just have to figure it into the cabinetry now.
is she right or left handed put it to the side of her dominant hand form the sink

so right handed put it right next to the sink cabinet , left handed left side of sink cabinet

·
Registered
105 Posts
We have a dishwasher and a septic system, and haven't had any issues. Washing machine is an HE frontloader, so doesn't use much water. Our biggest water-user is probably flushing the commodes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
All my life folks around here just ran some black pipe a out to a corner of the yard. But nowadays..rules

Here you can dig a trench and do it like a field line for a septic so you dont have to run it into your septic. I have my washer and all sinks going into it. Only thing going into septic is toilet stuff

1 - 20 of 61 Posts