dishwasher door latch

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by SquashNut, Dec 10, 2006.

1. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

My dish washer door latch is stuck, Can any one give me any ides on how to unstick it.
    It is in the open position so I cann't run the dish washer.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    A spray on lub might be the answer, in the mean time there is an appliance repair link in the links library.

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Maybe it went by a particular point, sort of like on a cam and got jammed somehow.

Probably if you pull off the inside cover or however it works to get at the actual latch mechanism, do a visual inspection to see why it is binding as the first course of action.

That can happen with that type of mechanism if it over travels or somebody pulled it too hard in the fully open position and got it by what would be its normal stop. Lots of mechanical gizmos can have it happen if they are worn, a bit out spec when made or not really designed just fool proof.

If that is the case they usually can be unjammed if you can get to the working parts and see exactly what point is bound up.

Good first place to start, if broken should be able to determine the exact cause once you can clearly see the full mechanism.

Might try pull out on it a bit to put tension in that direction first before any disassembly, wiggle it in the up or down direction to see if that can clear whatever it is hung up on. Usually can "Feel" when it lets go and returns to a normal travel mode.