Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy did our vinyl siding about 6-7 years ago, did the concrete front porch and overhead roof 2013. No complaints. approx. 6 weeks ago came by and left written estimate on redoing sofit and fascia. 3 weeks ago I called him and he said he had one more day to finish present job and ours was next on list.

Went by his place of business this wed afternoon to try and pinpoint a date. When I went in, several workers greeted me, he turned around and when he saw me, I could feel the animosity coming from him. Said he had a sinus infection, felt horrible but the truck was loaded with the things to do our house and he'd be here Friday. No show.

My question is this. I can tell he does not want to do the job but will not tell me that. So uses excuses and puts us off instead of being honest. We can easily get someone else from a neighboring town to do this, with all the delays, we are going to be next spring before we can get someone else to do it. DH keeps saying "He'll show up, just give him more time". So I told DH."OK, if he hasn't done it by March 2015, then will you agree that he's not coming?"

This should be so simple but no-one can make someone else be honest, now can they? What would you do? I will NOT call him again or go by the business. I'm done but what do I say to my DH? He believes and trusts everyone whereas I trust no-one till they prove themselves.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I'm not understanding this... You said he gave you an estimate, and said he'd do th job, but now he doesn't want to? What happened?

Either way, He doesn't want to do the job.. Why force him? He'll probably end up doing a crappy job and won't care what it looks like..

Why not just move on and find someone who wants the work????

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What the deal is that he will not tell me the truth, instead uses excuses, read my post, I made it as plain as I could. According to my DH, we are not free to get someone else unless he states he will not do the job. Not forcing him, personally after the vibes I got wed. I don't want him here.

If this continues on as it is, I consider it DH fault.

·
Premium Member
25,255 Posts
Maybe it's just me and my lack of patience but when someone says they're going to do a job I expect them to either show up and do the job or give me a reasonable excuse as to why they won't show and an idea of when they will.

Have you paid him anything? If not just start all over. Get estimates and find another contractor.

·
Registered
974 Posts
What the deal is that he will not tell me the truth, instead uses excuses, read my post, I made it as plain as I could. According to my DH, we are not free to get someone else unless he states he will not do the job. Not forcing him, personally after the vibes I got wed. I don't want him here.

If this continues on as it is, I consider it DH fault.
You husband is wrong, he gave you an estimate, then hasn't show up, an estimate isn't a contract, call someone else.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No money till job is done. Contractor knows our checks don't bounce so that is not the problem. The man does little work as he is pretty much disabled. All he does is supervise his 2 workers.

I'm not going to do anything as once again I have to let my DH see that I'm right. LOL I'll wait till march of next year where I can keep reminding him. Normally I handle all this sort of stuff as dh works out of town all the time. This is the show me state lol And my DH NEVER listens to me and when he gets stubborn, no-one can reason with him.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You said you will drop it and let it be, drop it and let it be until March. Then let DH handle it....James
He will be out of town working in March. It has to be done as we are gonna try and sell this house next Mar/April. At least I can research some other contractors and get estimates. Thanks ya'll.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
If you didn't pay him anything yet, then just drop him cold turkey with no warning and hire someone else. Tons of businesses just never show and that's just fine as long as you haven't given them any money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts