Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, its been a very short time without dish. haha, its great! right away this morning, the youngest was up before me (i got home fairly late last night). i was hearing tv--did they not shut it off?? well, since i've only suspended it for now, its still 'on' only no real shows, just those blasted info-commercials. this kid was watching one of those out of sheer habit?!!!! right then and there i knew i'd done right. i actually haven't let them have tv since thurday night.

the older one knew it was going off, and has been sooo busy creating things--drawing, braiding new reins for her horse, looking up how to make a new braid. doing things! yeah!!

just so happens today our first netflix dvd came, so now that they did ALL their chores with a decent attitude and done well, they can watch it. (cindy-e, thanks again!!) and their attitudes in general were better, much more upbeat and less snippy.

we may or may not re-instate it, but for now at least, this was a super solution. its breaking the dead-head zoned out habit. and i won't miss the bill either, that is for certain!!

i did want to say a bit about my doing this without husband's permission--i think its sad to think someone couldn't so such a thing without permission! i am not a meek person, and doubt my husband would've married me if i were. i am home way more than he is, and its mostly up to me to get the kids doing their chores, etc. and if i see something that is REALLY not working for us, yup, i'll do something about it if possible. i didn't just cut off dish completely, just suspended it, and if this is the way it goes, i WILL be cutting it off entirely. and i have never ever seen a utility that won't turn back on! most companies are more than happy to take my money!

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Sounds like you are off to a great start! I've been w/out regular tv for 3 1/2 years. I do watch netflix and movies from the library once or twice a week. I rarely miss tv.

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
When I hear people asking how I have so much time to get stuff done; I simply ask them what did they watch on tv last night. Usually that wakes them up to what a time waster TV is. Glad ya'll are finding more active things to do.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
ok, its been a very short time without dish. haha, its great! right away this morning, the youngest was up before me (i got home fairly late last night). i was hearing tv--did they not shut it off?? well, since i've only suspended it for now, its still 'on' only no real shows, just those blasted info-commercials. this kid was watching one of those out of sheer habit?!!!! right then and there i knew i'd done right. i actually haven't let them have tv since thurday night.

the older one knew it was going off, and has been sooo busy creating things--drawing, braiding new reins for her horse, looking up how to make a new braid. doing things! yeah!!

just so happens today our first netflix dvd came, so now that they did ALL their chores with a decent attitude and done well, they can watch it. (cindy-e, thanks again!!) and their attitudes in general were better, much more upbeat and less snippy.

we may or may not re-instate it, but for now at least, this was a super solution. its breaking the dead-head zoned out habit. and i won't miss the bill either, that is for certain!!

i did want to say a bit about my doing this without husband's permission--i think its sad to think someone couldn't so such a thing without permission! i am not a meek person, and doubt my husband would've married me if i were. i am home way more than he is, and its mostly up to me to get the kids doing their chores, etc. and if i see something that is REALLY not working for us, yup, i'll do something about it if possible. i didn't just cut off dish completely, just suspended it, and if this is the way it goes, i WILL be cutting it off entirely. and i have never ever seen a utility that won't turn back on! most companies are more than happy to take my money!
Sounds like thinks are working out well for you. Good for you! I don't think you will miss it. :)

Cindyc.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I hear people asking how I have so much time to get stuff done; I simply ask them what did they watch on tv last night. Usually that wakes them up to what a time waster TV is. Glad ya'll are finding more active things to do.
that's a great comeback!

yeah, this is working out well. its...peaceful. i know as young teens, i'll have enough battles i must win with them, the remote and tv is NOT something worth an argument! its so funny, they seem much happier, i think cuz they arent' putting all those rotten negative things into their heads. i do hope it continues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts