Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: Anyone ever make their own dish detergent? If so, what "recipe" do you use? I have tried the laundry recipe found here and really like it.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Where do you get the sodium percarbonate? (never heard of it)?

Thanks,
Twila

Oops, never mind, I just saw your post about OxyClean. Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Linn. I'll try that. We are trying to not use things like the colored detergents and bleach because both my kids are allergic to the dyes, etc. And the expense of buying "all natural" is too great.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Borax and baking soda in equal parts and some orange essential oil. The use vinegar in the rinse aid thing.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Doesn't do a thing. It's just aromatherapy at the same time you are doing dishes.

·
Defending the Highground
580 Posts
Essential oils add more than just fragrance. Orange oil is antibacterial and in larger quantities dissolves grease; Lemon oil is a germicide and has antiviral, antibacterial and antiseptic properties; Tea Tree oil (Melaleuca) is antibacterial and antiviral with antiseptic, antioxidant and antimicrobial properties; Clove (which is used in European hospitals) will stop any infection dead in its tracks.

When making any cleaner, I would highly recommend the use of essential oils not only to boost the cleaning power and provide a wonderful fragrance, but to enhance the cleaner's ability to do its job.

RVcook

·
Registered
214 Posts
I make mine from my homemade soap. I grate 2 bars into a deep kettle. Stir in 2 and 1/2 quarts hot water. Bring to a slow boil and simmer 10 min. Take it off the heat and let set half an hour, then pour into quart jars. As it cools it gels. I scoop it out with a spoon to do dishes. I use about 3/4 cup in a sink of HOT water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts