disease question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by ozarkin'it, Sep 18, 2004.

1. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

my aunt told me they took their rabbits to some small 4-h fair. which they do quite often. she said shortly after returning, her rabbits have started dropping off like flies. she said their hair is sloughing off, and they just loose weight and die one right after the other. she said its like their wasting away. can anyone shed some light on this?

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Without at least a necropsy being performed, it is impossible to tell from your description. Too many questions left unanswered. For example: "the fur sloughing off" could be confused with normal molting induced by weather or feed. Were the rabbits eating? What were they eating? What did their feces look like? Sorry, but we just can't tell. A necropsy will usually show the internal cause.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

3. ozarkin'it

well, my aunt has had rabbits for years, and she is stumped. the feces was normal, and the food is purina pellets. they always have plenty of water, and good airflow. she said when they got sick they just stopped eating. she said the best description she could offer was it was as if they were wasting away.

4. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

If they stopped eating, then, it sounds more like an intestinal blockage problem. Small wonder they just "wasted away"... from starvation! Did they have access to chewing on any plastic at all? Even plastic bags will cause this. Again, only a necropsy can tell for sure.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

5. ozarkin'it

naw, her cages hang from the ceiling, so they cant touch anything. She said when they got home from the fair, the next day several stopped eating, and in 2 or 3 days they dropped dead, and whatever it was just spread from one rabbit to the next, and most were dead in 10 days. She said her daughters meat pen died first, and her sons 2 that he showed that day died next, and the ones they didnt take died the following week. Now I will admit, that they could do a better job caring for their animals, but for the most part their rabbits are cared for in an acceptible fashion. I really think it was something they picked up at the fair. I dont know if she has or is gonna have an autopsy done or not. If she don't shes ignorant. I havent spoke to her since before I placed this post. I will call her and see what she says. I will post the results next week. Might help someone else in the future. Thanks for your suggestions.