Disease pasted to humans

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Horace Baker, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I've never heard of it and doubt that it happens.

2. john in la

john in la Well-Known Member

While it is most likely rare it can happen.

The real question is.................
    Who would want to take the chance and drink unpasteurized milk?????
    I can understand wanting unhomogenized milk but unpasteurized.

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

If your drinking unpasteurized milk, your getting stuff that is boiled out of the pasteurized stuff. Funny thing is, people who cant drink milk, store bought milk. Can drink raw milk, now that makes you wonder...

If people were to worry about every little thing, you would go insane. It's like anything, some people get some sickness (flu etc), while others such as myself never had the flu and rarely get sick.

Jeff

4. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

I WOULD!!!! And so do thousands of other people. Pasteurization kills all of the good stuff in milk. As far as the original question, I have never heard of this nor do I worry about it. There are several diseases that can be transferred to people and that is why your cow should be tested for these before drinking raw milk. TB, Johnnes, and Bangs for starters.

5. HOB

HOB Active Member

Dont know if it is true or not but I have heard of onion fever that came from the cow eating oinions that some how effected the milk. Now i dont know if it is true or not

6. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Danny,
    Have never heard of it but in saying that the mozzies we have in this country are an irritant rather than a disease carrier and ticks are viewed as nothing worse than a parasite. Why do you ask?

John, millions of people who have the choice drink unpasturised milk - and I'm one of them and will continue to be so. Pasturised your milk and you may as well throw it away and go and buy the sanitised stuff from the supermarket.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

7. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Danny,

I'm not going to tell you what to drink, that's up to you.

Of these tick-borne or mosquito borne diseases being transmitted through milk, I think most of these cases are in tropical areas. The ones I have read about are Rift Valley fever, Q fever. Also, I think there have been cases where tick-borne encephalitis are transmitted through raw milk.

Actually, there are several illnesses you can contract from raw milk, but I expect that the incidence is relatively low. Each year, though, people do contract illness from raw milk, and occasionally one or two croak.

As more and more food products are imported from abroad, I think that concerns over illnesses from raw milk -- more accurately, from products made from raw milk will rise. I believe there was a case of Tb contracted from cheese made from raw milk in NY a couple years ago.

We have a home pasteurizer and pasteurize the milk from our cows before drinking it, but I have drunk raw milk many times. Some people can handle raw milk, some can't. I don't agree with the "if you pasteurize milk, you might as well throw it away" view, but I'm not looking for any converts and I'm sure there's quite a few people who think I'm a dummy.

8. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I have always home pasteurized my milk, too, and was really glad when my previous cow Dawnna died of what was believed to be Johne's.

Homogenization is what is bad about commercial milk, IMO, not pasteurization!