Discussion of the Pyramodule

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RAC, Jul 29, 2004.

1. RAC

RAC Guest

I thought that design was kind of interesting, though I see some problems with it, like:

Roof pitch--I would think that in moss-prone areas you would have to consider metal roofing, because it would not be fun to get up there and spray or put moss-removal crystals at the top every year.

Windows--they are set in so far back that I would think you would not get a whole lot of light in the house, even if you put large mirrors on the side walls. I'd hate to be running the lights all the time in the middle of the day. I don't know if the roof is too steeply pitched for Sun Tunnels or Solatubes.

Overall, the design reminds me a bit of the Gravitron ride at the fair, or the Lost In Space flying saucer....hehe.

Here's the link so you don't have to go back to the other thread:

http://www.energy-efficient-house-plans.com/pyramodule-house-plans.html

I hope the other site comes back up soon.

Anyone have any opinions on the design itself?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Really looked at it a few years ago. The first thing I thought of was that it is rather wasteful of potential storage space. Secondly, if anybody can see it from the road you will have a ton of sightseers. My aunt built an a frame back in the late sixties in MO. She complained people were constantly banging on her door wanting a 'tour'. She finally sold it and went to a more conventional looking house.

3. I am completely delighted with the Pyramodule. My major concern is that the website is currently down. I have talked to Frank (the designer) by email in the past, but he hasn't replied to my email from a few days ago informing him that the site is down.

I plan to build one next summer in northern Nevada. I see the pitch of the roof as a feature, providing a large area of roof for thermal solar collectors (useful for home heating and hot water). Of course moss isn't really a concern for northern Nevada.

As far as light goes, I was planning to evaluate the lighting situation as soon as it was enclused but before insulating. If needed additional windows in the form of skylights can be added to the north roof areas.

4. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

5. I don't see any prices at the Sunspace website. I have a suspicion that it will be more than the Pyramodule, considering that it is a complete package. The Pyramodule can be build for around $5K, including foundation, interior, plumbing, and electrical.

I see the Pyramodule as offering hope for the dream of home ownership for the many families who have already given-up. Perhaps many people will prefer (or require) the double pod design, but it can be built in phases.

6. RAC

RAC Guest

Are you saying then that it is a one-size house, that you cannot expand other than by essentially building another one with a closed in corridor or breezeway? How large is it? Is there a loft on one side?

I agree about the solar collecting possibilities. Installing gutters might be tricky.

I know this is a dumb question, but how do you roof something with that steep of a pitch? It looks to steep to walk on.

7. Yes, the Pyramodule 'pod' is expanded by adding additional pods. Pyramodule plans come in three sizes; 14'x14', 16'x16' and 20'x20'. You can also buy plans for combinatins of those sizes for the two-pod configuration.

You couldn't really expand the pod any other way than to add a pod because of the careful attention to structural strength in the design.

8. In answer to your question about roofing, I'm not sure. The Pyramodule site says it can be done with only one person. I'll let you know this summer after I do it.