Discussion for Winter 2017/18 swap

Discussion in 'Swaps/Work-Alongs/Tutorials' started by AngieM2, Oct 10, 2017 at 6:26 PM.

1. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Hi all,

I know, I'm almost not here, but I keep trying to do better. Now Mom has some medical problems, so two more kinds of doctors for me to interact with. But they are nice, and things are looking up for her very infected toe.

What theme do and colors do you think we should consider for the Winter Swap. This is the Winter Season and not any holiday that falls in that timeframe. We do this so many various outlooks feel free to join in and have fun.

There have been snowflakes, snowmen, fir trees, etc. Often the colors of hunter green, crimson, cranberry, gold, white, etc have been used.

What would you guys want to focus on, the design of the block or the colors or both?

And I will try to be here more, but I have to say all of you are doing great helping each other. Especially the old hands at doing this. We are all grateful for you.

MoBookworm1957 and COSunflower like this.
  2. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

Last winter we had the colors Hunter Green, Cranberry etc. I think? I've never been in one to have snowmen or snowflakes and that sounds like fun OR if we do pine trees those blocks could be combined with last years winter blocks for a pretty quilt in a woodsy theme. I guess EVERYTHING sounds fun to ME!!! LOL!!! I do know that some beginners want to join up on our next swap so maybe letting each person pick their own pattern and just have a color theme would be easier and not so intimidating for them??? I'm good with anything though. :)

Belfrybat and MoBookworm1957 like this.

3. rjayne

rjayne Well-Known Member

Doing something that would go with last years blocks sounds interesting or something different would be good too. Snow themed or evergreen themed would be fun.
    I really am not too picky. It will be fun to see what others think.

COSunflower and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  4. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member

I didn't do last year's swap.
    Christmas colors to me besides red and green.
    Are gold,Cardinals,silver,blue,snowmen,Christmas trees.
    But whatever everybody decides is fine with me.
    Snowflakes sound like fun.
    Sampler blocks are an option.
    This way each quilter will do blocks they are individually comfortable with.
    But all means tie them color wise with last year's colors.

Kyrel and COSunflower like this.
  5. Kyrel

Kyrel Well-Known Member

I will do whatever!! I like anything but santa fabric.

6. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not too keen on a snowflake design as that says Christmas to me. A woodsy winter theme? Or maybe go with winter colours of brown, winter white, and hunter green? That would also fit with pine tree colours. We rarely get snow here, but perhaps we could do a snowy winter theme. I picture cardinals pecking around in the snow with pine trees in the background. But I guess I still lean towards winter like colours.

It's not important to me to match last year's colours as I've already used those blocks, but am not opposed to it either as I really liked the cranberry, dark blue, gold, and hunter green we used for those blocks.

MoBookworm1957, COSunflower and Kyrel like this.
  7. Gretchen Ann

Gretchen Ann Well-Known Member

I'm fine with those colors but I don't have much green. I'll show my fabrics when it is sign up time and you all can decide if the colors are ok. I don't want to go buy fabric.

My feeling won't be hurt if you say they aren't the correct colors.

8. COSunflower

I would like to use up from my stash too. :) We will all be pinching pennies after the holidays and not looking forward to tax time so being frugal would be a good idea. There are a lot of colors that would be considered winter. I'm not a fan of black or brown and real dark colors but prefer something more bright and uplifting to color up the winter. :) Maybe a theme like "What winter means to me" - Or "Winter outside my window".... We will all be having cabin fever during that time no doubt - at least those of us with snowy winter. Quilting is good to keep the mind busy and nerves calm. :)

MoBookworm1957 and Kyrel like this.
  9. Meima6

Meima6 Well-Known Member

Kentucky, where the Blugrass meets the Mountains
    I am good with whatever the group decides. This is an awesome collection of Quilter's and I am having a wonderful experience. (And...I always loved Grasshopper! ;) )

10. AngieM2

I'm reading all the good ideas. Wonder about doing a stash buster and it must have at least a clearly visible amount of a dark green in it? That could make it winter, but expand it to so much more than "winter". This would make it just done in Winter.

11. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member

Stash Buster works for me.
    Really don't want to buy any fabric.
    Winter is good too.
    Whatever we decide is good.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017 at 8:55 PM
    COSunflower and Kyrel like this.
  12. rjayne

rjayne Well-Known Member

If we want to do a stash buster we could try a “Won’t you be my neighbor” quilt.

I did one this summer with another group and it turned out great.

Everyone used kona white for the background and whatever we wanted for the other fabrics.

[​IMG]

This is a pic of the finished top

13. rjayne

rjayne Well-Known Member

14. rjayne

rjayne Well-Known Member

If you guys are interested I can tell you how we went about doing the swap.

15. dmm1976

dmm1976 Well-Known Member

I'm in for whatever. For winter I think white, silvers, blues, greens, dusty pinks and lavenders. Textures like leather , fleece and fur and flannel plaids.

Belfrybat, Kyrel and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  16. COSunflower

Won't You Be My Neighbor looks REALLY cute but I worry that some of our new quilters that are just learning and don't feel quite as secure in their sewing skills yet might be too intimidated to join in. I like the idea of a stash buster with a plain winter theme - kind of the "What winter means to me" idea.

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  17. AngieM2

I cannot do a "what x means to me" quilt. It is not definite. That's one of the big problems I had earlier. Now if I do winter, you'd see what it means to me, or spring or summer. But Winter could mean fireplaces and blizzards and hot chocolate. Or severely being cold, etc. At least, that's how my mind works.

I do agree that the neighborhood is really cute, but more difficult than many swappers can do. But, it would be a lovely sew along.

18. Kyrel

Kyrel Well-Known Member

19. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

I love the neighbour quilt, but wouldn't want to make 10+ of those blocks. And I don't applique if that is involved (didn't click through to the pattern). I agree with Angie about the what x means to me. The summer blocks were wonderful but I couldn't use them in the same quilt. I realize not everyone makes quilts from the blocks so that might not be an issue. I'm in the camp of choosing a couple of constant colours that will bring harmony to our blocks. As you all know, I'm a disappearing nine patch fanatic, and I can just visualize using winter scenes in the corners and our constant colours in the center and sides. Just my 3 cents (inflation and all).

20. COSunflower

rjayne - Thanks for the site! That quilt top reminds me of a bulletin board that I made for one of my elementary classes. We had a pretend town on it with each of us having a house, a little store, school, church etc. and paths that led to each. We made up stories about what happened in our little town each day to practice our reading and writing skills. I want to make something like this for my grandkids I think. A "Story Quilt". I will put my house, their house, their cousin's house, the school, store, church etc. with paths between each. I love the trees and the different houses in this top. A project for NEXT year!!!