Discussion for Fall quilt block swap

Discussion in 'Swaps/Work-Alongs/Tutorials' started by Belfrybat, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

I decided to start a discussion thread on the upcoming Fall swap. The results of the poll we took last fall were that this swap would be flannel adult blocks in fall colours. Not baby colours.

Angie has said she won't be participating in this swap which is why I'm starting the ball rolling. I don't care for flannel so I won't be participating either but I am willing to post the start-up thread as I have the script saved on my computer -- I just have to change dates/ colours, etc.

So... please discuss among yourselves and I'll follow along. If you'd rather I not post the start-up thread, then let me know. I'll be glad to bow out in favour of those who are actually going to do this swap.

2. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

I am in for a Fall swap and I would say that it doesn't need to be flannel. I would like to make a Fall table runner this year so regular Fall fabric is OK if that is preferred by people. I do have plenty of reg. Fall fabric in my stash. :)

MoBookworm1957 likes this.

3. Meima6

Meima6 Well-Known Member

Kentucky, where the Blugrass meets the Mountains
    I'm in for whatever. Just let me know. :)

4. Meima6

Meima6 Well-Known Member

Looks a little lean..... :(

5. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member

fall table runner with regular fall fabric sounds good.
    I can handle a table runner with everything that is going on.

COSunflower likes this.
  6. Belfrybat

Just thought I'd bump this up in case folks didn't see it. If we don't use flannel, I'll play as I have plenty of fall fabric.

MoBookworm1957 and COSunflower like this.
  7. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

I'm dropping in, great that this discussion was started. What about just regular fall colored fabrics in a nice nine patch, or modified nine patch? (where you make 5 inches sized 9 block, cut in fourths and then resew to make a more complicated design.).

Or something woodsey. If it is a smaller swap than last time, I'll jump in to help the group have some fun. I'll even try to post often.

I would say that if someone just disappeared from last swap, they should not be allowed in this one. Usually issues take a little while to get over. If someone was just late, I think they should play if they want to.

Belfrybat and COSunflower like this.
  8. COSunflower

A table runner wouldn't take very many blocks so if less people joined in that would be OK I would think??? Angie, could you explain the modified 9 patch a little more? Do you have a pic or drawing of one? It sounds interesting!

9. Belfrybat

Not Angie, but I think she might be talking about what is often called a disappearing nine patch. It is my favourite block and many of you have one from previous swaps. Here's a good tute:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    attybeck and COSunflower like this.
  10. Belfrybat

Here are two quilts I made from the D9P pattern:
    d9p geese quilt.jpg
    d9p quilt.jpg

COSunflower and AngieM2 like this.
  11. AngieM2

Yes, disappearing 9 patch. The name didn't come to me. Those are nice quilts.

One other thing, we usually would choose 2 to 4 colors and coordinate with embroidery floss numbers, or lately names of colors from 64 box of crayons. The purpose was so all blocks would have one or all colors in blocks so they would definitely coordinate when put together.

12. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member

not doing anything with group. on my own for a while.

COSunflower likes this.
  13. Meima6

Meima6 Well-Known Member

I'm in. Just need specifics. Woodsy fall would be nice.

COSunflower likes this.
  14. COSunflower

I REALLY like that pattern and get it now with seeing it and the tutorial. Thanks Belfry!!! Im in :) what would woodsy fall look like? I have alot of fall fabric and am hoping not to have to buy any.

15. Meima6

Meima6 Well-Known Member

So, what is our count now? 4? That could be a runner or wallhanging. How will the pattern play out in a runner or wallhanging?

COSunflower likes this.
  16. Belfrybat

Meima - Probably 5 as I think Maxine will play. I've only used the pattern in a tablerunner where the blocks have all the same fabric. It does make up nicely.
    Another way to do this swap is for each of us to make the nine patches from 5" charm squares, cut in quarters and then not assembled back into a larger block. That way the blocks can be put together in many different ways and the fabrics scattered throughout. If we do it this way, I'd suggest we all use the same center block colour. See this tute by Jenny Doan for a scrappy look:

I really prefer swaps where we've all used the same colours, but the group didn't want to do that for the last two. So I vote for getting back to three or four colours so the blocks will harmonize better. If we are using crayons, then my suggestion is chestnut, green, red-orange, and dandelion. With a solid or marble dark brown in the center (no dark brown crayon in the 64 box). And no muslin -- sorry but just not a fan of putting rich colours with muslin.

I like the idea of woodsy fall -- which to me means no pumpkins, scarecrows or turkeys, but all nature-type fabrics such as trees and leaves.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Kyrel likes this.
  17. AngieM2

Here are some fabrics I have and are posting for color suggestions. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

All the prints seem to have that Autumn rust color and some of that green.

These are posted to give all some ideas of colors.

Also if only 5 or 6 decide to participate we could do 2 for each as long as total would be 12 or under.

COSunflower and Belfrybat like this.
  18. Belfrybat

Angie -- great! They all have some of the crayon colours I suggested in them. I love that first one and really think that should be our model "colour pattern"!

I agree about doing two as long as we keep the total 12 or less (plus a hostess block).

19. Belfrybat

Here are some fabrics I pulled that harmonize with Angie's. Oops! They are in reverse order.

HT fall swap2.jpg

HT fall swap.jpg

COSunflower and AngieM2 like this.
  20. COSunflower

Oh gosh!!! I hope that I can find some fabrics like this here!!! I will go to JoAnn's and Walmart (our only fabric stores) and look tomorrow morning. Instead of cutting the 9 patch blocks before we send them I think we should just send the 9 patch blocks and then the person can cut their own at home. I also think that 2 blocks for each would be doable as long as there are less than 12 to make.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.