DISCUSSION - 2017 Summer quilt block swap

Discussion in 'Swaps/Work-Alongs/Tutorials' started by Belfrybat, May 18, 2017 at 8:37 AM.

1. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm starting this thread to begin a discussion on the upcoming Summer quilt block swap.
    All I could glean from the poll we took was:
    Summer - brights, sunshine happy feeling (actual colors to be decided)

So.... colours specified or not? Or just go with the description above. Remember we all have the box of crayons to help coordinate colours if we go that way.
    Someone mentioned red, white and blue.
    Size? I personally like the larger sizes -- 10" or 12" since we have so few participating these days.
    Design? Specify or not?
    Dates? The mailing date for the current swaps is June 15th, so I'd suggest we begin sign-ups after that.

I'm not "in charge" -- just getting the ball rolling since several started posting ideas on the Spring floral swap.

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  2. Jlynnp

Jlynnp Well-Known Member

I like the bright colors, maybe yellows, oranges, greens, ect. If we can get it figured out soon I can participate. I like the 12 inch squares myself. Maybe log cabin square.

3. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

Bright, happy, summery perhaps with some red, white and blue. I think I have a cute red, white and blue fabric of kids and sparklers or something. A county fair theme would be fun too. I like the 12 in. blocks and no pattern specified so that we can use what goes along with our fabrics and it is also a nice surprise to see what patterns other people use. :) We could start the summer swap as soon as the garden/floral one ends - June 15th and end it August 31st. Plenty of time to sew over the busy summer and we would end it right about the time we could start the next Fall swap.

maxine and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  4. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member

Just go for it.
    12 inch is fine with me.
    Already got ideas. We all know what happens when I get an idea, lol
    think outside the box so to speak.
    another 9 patch? Or go with the flow of the fabric, pattern?
    For some reason thinking about dots,ice cream sundaes,kites,bubbles etc.

Last edited: May 18, 2017 at 4:46 PM
    maxine and COSunflower like this.
  5. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Love to see you ladies taking the swap by the needle and getting it rolling. I'll watch and MAYBE enough family stuff will have settled down and I might be able to join in again. Dad's heart operation is satisfactory follow up doc visits, but the xray tech that took an xray for the heart before the operation, found a growth on his T8 and T9 vertabre. Might be what's causing him to have so much aches in his back.

COSunflower and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  6. COSunflower

When it rains, it seems to POUR Angie!!! I'm SO sorry that all of this is hitting you one after another!!! I'm glad that your dad's heart operation went well and maybe the growths are just some spurs on the vertebrae - something that they can maybe grind down??? I'm still praying for you both!!!!!

Belfrybat and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  7. Belfrybat

Angie, hang in there. I know this is a difficult time for you and we regular swappers are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

8. maxine

maxine Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Angie!! So good to hear from you.. :) it's wonderful that your Dad has come thru the heart surgery so well & hopefully can eliminate the growths so his pain will be less.. fingers crossed !

I like the 12 " blocks,too; I also am liking all the summertime suggestions.. so I vote that we each make our own Block to represent our personnel summertime things/feelings..but NOT a definite pattern that we would all have to do the same..

I know I'd like to incorporate Patriotic, county fairs, beaches, camping, all the fun stuff I love to do.. I actually don't have any idea on how I'd put all those together, but would come up with something :) probably appliquied & pieced.. Will have to ponder it..

In other words, wild & free like summer!!!

9. Jlynnp

Jlynnp Well-Known Member

I love this idea. It sounds perfect. We could call it "What summer means to me"

10. COSunflower

I LOVE the name "What Summer Means to Me"!!!!!! I vote for it!!! :)

MoBookworm1957 and maxine like this.
  11. Belfrybat

Me too! Summer is so different for all of us.

12. maxine

I keep thinking about the Log Cabin Block that Jlynnp suggested, and would it be too much to also do a Red, White & Blue Log Cabin Block along with our "What Summer Means to Me" Block? I know summer is crazy busy for all of us,, and perhaps I might just be out of control at this point, but I have enjoyed doing our Spring Flowers and the Fruits & Veg blocks so very much..it has been nice to go from one to the other..

I'm on my second cup of coffee this morning so maybe I've too much caffeine??

13. MoBookworm1957

Second cup, oh Maxine I'm on my second pot. lol.....
    Just go for it, what your heart says do.
    Thant's what I'm doing. But I'm not traditional quilter either.
    And to think I almost didn't join the swaps.
    Because I wasn't sure how you would take my blocks or ideas.
    Got the block my mother and dad made. It's interesting to say the least.
    4 patch with scraps sewn on everywhere,so I will make a pillow for the couch with it.
    Dad thought she had to every bit of the fabric.
    Like I said the blind leading the blind.

COSunflower and maxine like this.
  14. Belfrybat

I wouldn't mind doing two blocks if the swaps are small (as I think they will be). I don't mind doing a R-W-B log cabin as long as it doesn't have too many logs. They can take a fair amount of time if the logs are more than about 4 - 5 deep. Here's one from Quilters Cache that is 5 deep. http://www.quilterscache.com/L/LogCabinBlock.html

15. maxine

Mo you are a hoot & I'm so glad you joined in.. Belfry thanks for the link.. there are some great ideas in the samples.. I enjoy that site very much.. I think it's going to be a small group too, which is why I feel I could make two blocks for each person.. way cool!!

MoBookworm1957 and COSunflower like this.
  16. COSunflower

I'm in too IF the groups are small. :) I was going to incorporate the red, white and blue in with my favorite things but probably the colors wouldn't work so it would be better to do two separate ones. :) I like log cabin also as long as there aren't too many logs. If we all do whatever log cabins we like, it might make for a nice interesting quilt to see all of the different ones? Today it is too hot to think so I will go along with the crowd. LOL!!! I have time to do both so count me in if we do that. :)

MoBookworm1957 and maxine like this.
  17. MoBookworm1957

I'm in but you got to remember I'm a non traditional quilter.
    I think outside the box so to speak. Way out there in left field sometimes.
    Quilting is like everything else it goes in cycles.
    Thinking about tumblers in red white and blue.
    But setting up differently maybe making everybody a miniature flag.
    Have to ponder this for a while. Or a variety of blocks,hmm?
    Like that idea too.
    My head hurts right now,not enough coffee and no chocolate.
    But I just polished my nubs finger nails too.

Last edited: May 23, 2017 at 9:07 AM
    COSunflower and maxine like this.
  18. maxine

Hey Mo.. love your ideas..! I too often go rogue and don't stick to the traditional.. I am definitely planning on putting a flag on my "What Summer Means to Me" block for sure.. If we get to do the Log Cabin block too,, I will play with it a little,, I saw some layouts I had not thought about before in the quilterscache link above.. for me seeing new ideas and what everyone else comes up with is very inspiring... we have some talented quilters here.. :)

19. COSunflower

I've seen some really cute flag blocks also!!! Maybe we could all go rogue and and just do whatever summer means to EACH OF US. :) There are SO many cute ideas out there on the web!!! Who knows what we might come up with??? :)