Discovery Channel Seeks Homestead Newbies for New Reality Show

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Carla Emery, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Carla Emery

Carla Emery In Remembrance

Discovery Channel Producer Seeks New Homesteaders

My friends, I don't normally push TV, but I'm excited about this one. It's a great opportunity for us to reach and teach! And... These folks have invited Don and I to host and mentor the homesteading families on this show. So, if you apply and are accepted, we'll be coming to visit and advise! I'm not sure where the company is going to find an "American wilderness," but for sure they're looking for newbies. If you're poised to make the great leap, why not give it a try! And, do please pass on this information to all the other homestead lists you know about. Let's get the news OUT there. They are wanting to start this fall, and that's not far off!
    Here's their ad, followed by the first letter to Don and me.

ARE YOU SELLING, LEAVING THE CITY, AND MOVING YOUR FAMILY TO A HOMESTEAD IN THE AMERICAN WILDERNESS? LEAVING THE DESK JOB TO PURSUE A DREAM OF SELF-SUFFICIENCY IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS? SEEKING A BACK-TO-BASICS LIFESTYLE IN A WILD OR OFF-THE-GRID REGION OF THE STATES?

DISCOVERY CHANNEL IS MAKING A NEW SERIES AND IS LOOKING FOR FAMILIES WHO ARE MOVING TO THE WILDERNESS TO START A NEW LIFE.

Does this sound like you – or anyone you know?
    For further information, please contact James at Ricochet Films on 011 44 207 251 6966 (UK) or e-mail: james.christiemiller@ricochet.co.uk

Dear Carla and Don,

Ricochet Films are the producers of the successful ABC series Super Nanny. We’re now making a new documentary series for Discovery US, which will follow American families as they set up a new life on a remote homestead. We’re looking for families who are planning to make the move to the country this fall, with ambitious plans on self-sufficient living in a remote part of the States. I was wondering if any of your clients might fit the brief that we’re looking for. And I’d really appreciate it if you were able to forward the attached flyer to any clients that are making this kind of move from the city, or include our appeal in your next newsletter, or even post it on your website.

We do have an office in LA, but our initial research for this project is coming from our London office. If you have any queries, please do call me on 011 44 207 251 6966. In the meanwhile, you can view all of our productions at www.ricochet.co.uk

Many thanks for your help. Best regards, James Christie-Miller, Development Produce, Ricochet Films, Cairo Studios, 4 Nile Street, London N1 7RF, 011 44 207 251 6966; www.ricochet.co.uk.

--------------------

2. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

Carla,

Thanks for getting this spread out a bit further. It seems that many are treating it like a joke or something..... thier loss I think.

I will add for anyone the is skeptical that I am conversing with James via email and phone about this opportunity as our plans fit right in with his plans as far as start time etc... WOOHOO closing on the farm in 1 (one) YES 1 day lol. So far as I can say James is a great guy and is very easy to talk too .... even if he calls a little to early in the morning :sing: (in his defense, he is in London and I am in WA, lots of time zones there!)

If your plans to start living the good life are near then email him, what can it hurt?

END OF SHAMELESS PLUG and YES, I hope we are selected as one of the families. I get a chance to meet Carla and get hands on how to from someone that I have been learning from for a long time....

Ted
    (PS Carla, just in case start thinking pigs, highlands, chickens, turkeys, remodels, fence, garden prep, composting, vermiculture, tractor repair....lol)

3. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

Gee, I think this is a great idea for a show. Makes me wish we were just starting up. I don't have cable or satellite but I might rehook up if something like this comes about. Keep us posted !
    Teresa

4. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

Yes, earlier I have recommended to not own a television and to not watch TV. Since this is "reality" television, it will be mindless fluff with ginned-up controversies and other nonsense. I'll be hosting, though, so it will be GOOD for you. I don't know much about it, including not knowing where it will take place, but hey, it will be great. What an original idea!

Let's use an idea-exchange board to promote our own self-interest.

You too can say: "I learned to homestead by watching TV." This is too funny.

5. Carla Emery

I'm soooo glad you're applying, Ted! Thanks for your kind words. We're looking forward to meeting you! Absolutely, it is not a joke.

Yes, everybody, do spread this news far and wide. Please help out and post this information on every homesteady e-mail chat group and list you belong to, or even know of.

Right now I'm off to the dentist, but will be able to check back here again this afternoon.
    Gratefully,
    Carla

6. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

I was raised with the mind set "If you don't have anything nice to say..don't say anything at all". That's not to say you can't have your own opinion...just don't bash others for having theirs. I guess I give something a chance before I put it down...who knows the show might work out....even negative people might learn something...but then again maybe not because they already know everything!!! Guess I am getting tired of so many people bashing each other and each others ideas here.

7. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Carla,

When they say they are looking for people living "off the grid" do they mean that literally? We left a 200K job in Atlanta to move to our 77 acre farm in the mountains of NE Alabama. It's a pretty dramatic change, but we do have electricity, a well and septic system and satellite communication to go with 4 different kinds of animal poop and the food we grow ourselves.

My wife still has her technical systems support job via satellite, so it would be nice to know what the producers envision. My experience of my neighbors is that many are professionals that drive 50 miles to work in the city, but choose to live out here. If what they are seeking is more of a fifth generation Appalachian mountain man, then you are going to have a much harder time finding one. The ones around here don't have internet or electricity.

8. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Carla - shamely tooting my own horn I think it's only fair to let you know, it was I who suggested James contact you and Don as possible mentors when he contacted me about the series.

They are not looking for anyone who has already taken the leap and have already started a homestead. They want unexperienced people who dream of what it might be like to homestead -- a great opportunity to test the waters before you make the leap.

I don't know much more about it, but I am of the impression that the series will be about people homesteading much as they did prior to electricity, septic systems, telephones, and computers. Needless to say - if you have nine months to spare the lessons learned will be more then worth the time.

Best of luck to everyone concerned.

Marlene

9. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

I have seen nothing yet to make me think this guy and his project are legitimate. What's all the hoopla for now? He's been on here pestering us for over a month!

In addition, if he actually knew anything about homesteading, he would realize that "real homesteaders" - especially those in the process of setting up their homestead - are too busy actually doing it to have or to be able to devote the time required to participate in this project. Just my $.02.

MaryNY

10. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I wonder how he thinks folks can just devote 9mos to learning in one fell swoop and not have outside jobs? Will the participants be allowed to go off to work daily to make an income? :shrug:

Are the people who do get accepted getting paid with anything other than 'wisdom'? Are the mentors getting paid or are they volunteering their time to teach the next generation? How much is each side being paid for this show-afterall someone is making money so it's fair to know who is getting what, don't you think?

Will the participants be eligible for royalties on reruns of the show?

Just a few questions that should have answers before anyone signs on the dotted line. I would suggest to anyone to please have any legal paperwork or contracts looked over by a competant lawyer before signing.

11. Carla Emery

Just got back from getting my tooth filled. Lots here to respond to, taken in order.

Green Alien, again, let me say I'm so glad you are volunteering. It takes courage to homestead and it takes courage to participate in a reality show. You're demonstrating that you have it. But let me suggest a bred or fresh Jersey or a trio of Irish Devons (bull, cow, cow) rather than those Highlanders with their great horns. Just my opinion...

tooltime, you have raised a valid moral objection to my participation and promotion of this show. Your expressed concern certainly deserves a thoughtful answer. I was thinking about it all the way to the dentist and back. This situation brings back some memories, and here's my response:

Back in February of 1978, I had been doing a LOT of TV appearances, as well as radio and print interviews for the past four years. I had been on Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show" four times, on the "Mike Douglas Show" four times. I'd been on "Good Morning, America," "To Tell the Truth," "Good Morning, L.A.,
    " Seattle Today," and most other morning talk shows in big or mid-size cities of America. I was a new member of AFTRA, the performers' union, and earning about $350 a minute when working a union show. On any street of America people would recognize me and whisper and point, or come running up, "It's you, Carla!" If you've read the "Chronology" entry for February, 1978, at the back of the 9th edition of my book (Encyclopedia of Country Living), you know the whole story. How I did the fourth and last Mike Douglas Show and was so shamed and disturbed by the moral context that I determined I would not again do the Hollywood scene. From that moment on, I refused not only TV spots, but also radio and print interviews. I stayed at home and tried to be the best wife and mother I could be, homeschooling the children a good bit of the time. Out of sight is out of mind and very quickly I became genuinely forgotten, a "has-been," but I never regretted that abrupt turnaround in my life. I was practicing what I preached and I had a clean conscience.
    That dropping out happened a long time ago. Since 1985 I've done a few print and radio interviews, but no TV until this offer. Please understand that it is still a fact that the more hours per day a family spends watching TV, the deeper in debt they will be. The more time a child spends watching the screen--and the younger that child is--the higher the probability that child will eventually be diagnosed as having a learning disorder. TV watching is associated with obesity, poor health, moral problems, and with the mainstream's lifestyle of dependence, slothfulness, and vanity. TV watchers forget how to play games, how to converse, how to respect their elders, how to read. Absolutely, I am not suddenly telling anybody who doesn't watch TV to start watching it, even to watch this coming program.
    I'm doing this show because it's a chance to reach millions of poeple who DO watch TV. We can wake them up, shake them up, reach them, and teach them that there is another way of life to strive toward--and here's how you do it. So many homesteaders have told me that, for them, it all began the first time they saw me demonstrating goat milking or butter churning on the Donahue Show, or some such. Time is short and the need is so great to get our message out that there is a very different lifestyle, one perhaps that they never heard of, never thought of before.

teresab: Thanks for your wise words.

mysticokra: "off the grid?" You're absolutely right, wilderness in America may be harder to find than our friends in the U.K. realize and that should not be a requirement. Nevertheless, there are many of us who do live off the grid, either because the grid is unobtainable, or because we choose to generate our own electricity. Definitely, they want newbies, and that also leaves out a lot of wonderful and otherwise qualified folks. It is a fact that you don't master the skills of frugality, healthy and sustainable living, serious self-reliance, and good neighboring in nine months. It would be hard to learn all that could be learned in nine years. That aspect of the show is quite unrealistic and the timeline problem is something that we'll have to regularly point out.

MarleneS: Thanks for suggesting the idea of the show. I think that, despite its obvious problems, it's still going to be a great way to access and inspire folks who have never heard of homesteading before to consider becoming more self-reliant.

KYguest: You're absolutely right that real folks have to make a living. To start with, at least, the homestead is typically a hobby farm, so being unemployed definitely shouldn't be a requirement--nor did I hear that it is one. As far as the money thing, nobody has said a word about money to me, so I don't know. As far as I'm concerned it's a good cause. I could use some pay though. Don and I are struggling and dreaming just like everybody else. We're wanting to put the well on solar, build some fence, ... "The workman is worth his hire."

MaryNY: Oh, he's legitimate all right. There's gonna be a show. He's been around a month? I heard of itless than a week ago. Well, let's get this thing moving and accomplished!

12. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

Going to sign papers now more later....

Wanted to add that we are going full into this. Due to years of hard work we have the chance to bet income free for a couple of years, to a point. We have enough to keep the lights on and insurance for us, the house and cars, and maybe even a phone. Food comes from what we raise for now.....

13. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

Hey, more power to you, although I chuckle at the irony. I'd say these type of documentary series are much more for entertainment than education. Ask the producers how many hours of footage they'll shoot for 6 or 12 episodes, and then imagine how it will be edited.

Next, let's think about who seeks to be on a program like this, and how group dynamics will play out.

Finally, you might want to look at the ratings/share numbers for similar programs on cable television. It's a very crowded marketplace.

As an example, review Frontier House. My sister recorded this program and sent it to me. I believe in the first hour, they found the trail washed out so they loaded everyone in trucks and that was the end of the "wagon train" experience.

Proenneke's "Alone in the Wildnerness" is the only realistic homesteading "documentary" I've ever seen on television. I bought the DVD so I wouldn't have to listen to PBS stooges apologize for the production values and beg for contributions every 15 minutes.

As one who doesn't pay to subscribe to satellite or cable, I won't be watching it, but I guess this is educational programming? Good luck with the project.

14. Carla Emery

Thanks, tooltime, for reconsidering your judgement of me.

Actually, James, from the U.K., just informed me:

"We just had a good meeting with our execs here about possible experts and families to follow, and would like to put you forward to Discovery as one of our options for the homesteading experts, so I’ll keep in touch on that level."

So it sounds like I now am no longer in consideration for a host, and only one of many candidates for their "homesteading expert." So maybe I get to go back to my comparatively quiet life?

Anyway, while I'm in the process of shamelessly promoting myself, let me remind all you folks that I have a wonderful website: www.carlaemery.com. You can sign up there for my useful, free, weekly (when I'm home and not on tour) newsletter. Speaking of "tour," here's the schedule for the next one.

Fall 2005 Tour

Sept. 1, Thurs. Riverton, WY. Riverton Senior Center, 303 E. Lincoln Avenue, Riverton, WY 82501. Hosts: Harry & Josie Meekins, wrp@trib.com ; 307-857-6041. Or contact Mary, Activities Director, 307-856-6332. Carla speaks 10 a.m. to 12 noon on just about everything: "Peak Oil, How to Grow the Greatest Garden of Your Life, and Healthy Choices in Food and Food Preparation Methods." At 6 that evening, she speaks on "History (including Fossil Fuel Depletion, Chronology and Coping) and Basic Principles of the Modern Homesteading Movement."
    Sept. 2, Fri. Kaycee, WY. 2005 Sheep Industry Festival and Kaycee Challenge Sheep Dog Trial. This three day event offers a time for spectators, dog handlers, producers and professionals to share experiences, shop and sell, and learn about the Sheep Industry. Or watch three days of Internationally judged Border Collies from the US and Canada compete against tough Wyoming ewes for a $10,000 purse! Every day, there's a sheep wagon display, art show and sale, craft and fiber festival, food vendors, education booths, spinning and shearing demonstrations, and dog agility displays. Information: Lisa Cunningham 307-738-2244 lcunningham@rtconnect.net, or Greg or Mary Cunningham 307-738-2500 mcunningham@rtconnect.netDirections: Kaycee sits on the banks of the Powder River about 45 miles south of Buffalo and 60 miles north of Casper just off Interstate 25. Follow the signs in Kaycee to the Harold Jarrard Park complex. There you will park your car and walk or be transported to the dog trial site. Contact the Kaycee Chamber of Commerce for accommodations in and around the area : 307-738-2444 or www.kayceewyoming.org

Friday, 7am - 6 pm - Qualifying Sheepdog Trials - 50 dogs at Trial Site. Evening: Lamb Cook-off. People's choice awards!

Sept. 3, Sat. Kaycee, WY. 7 am - 6 pm - Qualifying Sheepdog Trials - 50 Dogs - Trial Site. Evening Free Lamb Barbecue , Breeding Dog Auction, Street Dance in downtown Kaycee.

Sept. 4, Sun. Kaycee, WY. Festival Continues.

Sept. 6, Tue. Buffalo, OK. Carla speaks at 7 pm on "Petroleum Depletion--Making the Switch to Renewable Energy and Sustainable Agriculture." Host: Sue Selman 580-256-2006; Selmanranch@itlnet.net.

Sept. 7, Wed. Available.

Sept. 8-10, Thur.-Sat. Norman, OK. Cleveland County Free Fair. 615 E. Robinson, Norman. 405-360-4721, fax 360-4512; ccfb@sbcglobal.net; www.clevelandcountyfair.org .

Sept. 11, Sun. Willow Springs, MO. Host: Jill Dabney. 417-457-6703, sjdabney@pcis.net .

Sept. 12, Mon. Willow Springs, MO. Continued.

Sept. 13, Tue. Available.

Sept. 14, Wed. Delaware, OH. Carla speaks at 7 pm, Stratford Ecological Center, 3083 Liberty Road (about 1 mile south of Delaware, OH). This working farm is a good example of sustainable agriculture and organic food production. To link to directions and more contact info, go to: http://www.stratfordecologicalcenter.org/Contacts &20& Directions.htm . Their home page: www.stratfordecologicalcenter.org . Host: Dave Harris. davhar42@earthlink.net.

Sept. 15, Thur. Warren, MI. Carla speaks on "Radical Urban Gardening." Host: Jean Mann; jmmom@thumb.net.

Sept. 16, Fri., Available.

Sept. 17, Sat. Maple Corner (near Montpelier), VT. Carla speaks at 11 a.m. on "Peak Oil: What to Expect and How to Cope" at the Peace and Carrots Farm annual homestead get-together / campout-- Vermont Homesteader's and Green Mountain Dutch Oven Society! Go to Montpelier and take Rt 12 north to Worcester. Turn right on Calais Rd. Go about a mile until the pavement ends. Turn right, uphill on Collar Hill Rd. Second driveway on the right with a big Peace and Carrots Farm sign out front. Host: Wendy; wsm311@aol.com ; http://www.homestead.com/peaceandcarrots/ ; http://peaceandcarrots.homestead.com/2005FarmParty.html
    Sept. 18, Sun. Peace and Carrots Campout continues... 2 p.m. Carla speaks on "Self-reliance and Sustainability."

Sept. 19, Mon. Available.

Sept. 20, Tue. Fort Fairfield, ME. At 7 pm, Carla speaks on "History and Principles of the Modern Homesteading Movement." Host: Jean QUIVER0F10@DIRECWAY.COM ; 207-476-5071.
    Sept. 21, Wed. Available.

Sept. 22, Thurs. Unity, ME. Set-up for CGCF.
    Sept. 23, Fri. Unity. Common Ground Country Fair.
    Sept. 24, Sat. Unity. Common Ground Country Fair.
    Sept. 25, Sun. Unity. Common Ground Country Fair.
    Sept. 26, Mon. Hubbardston, MA. Carla speaks at 6 pm at 12 Simond Hill Rd.,
    Hubbardston MA 01452, 978-928-4198. "Homestead Self-sufficiency." Host: Raven Caldera. cauldronfarm@hotmail.com; Directions are on the website:
    http://www.cauldronfarm.com

Sept. 27, Tue. Beverly, MA. Carla speaks on "Radical Urban Gardening." Hosts: Naomi and Sue; naomi.astyk@verizon.net; 978-927-4642.

Sept. 28, Wed. - Sun, Oct. 2- Yonkers, NY. Visiting kids and grandkids. Available to speak in the area if anybody wants me.

Oct. 3, Mon. Available.

Oct. 4, Tue. Ritner, KY (near Monticello). Potluck at 5:30 pm. Event is at host Mark's home at Ritner, KY. Ask him for directions from Monticello. Come early and tour Mark's farm. Mark raises Shetland and Icelandic sheep, spins and we4aves, sells wool, homemade soap, and tanned hides. For supper, Mark will serve a pit-roasted half pig plus corn, beans, squash, and salads from his organic garden. Other potluck contributions welcome. At 6:30 pm, Carla speaks: "Bad News / Good News: Fossil Fuel Depletion / Renewable Energy and a Sustainable Lifestyle." Briarpatch Farm & Fiber; wizard1@kih.net .

Oct. 5, Wed. Available.

Oct. 6, Thur. Warsaw, KY. 7 pm. Carla speaks on "History of the Modern Homesteading Movement and Its Five Basic Principles" at the Gallatin County Public Library, 209 West Market. Host: Shirley French,Library Director; shirleyfrench@gallatincountylibrary.org.

Oct. 7, Fri. Prentiss, MS. 6:30 pm. Community Center. Host: Virginia Garner. 601-792-5132 (early morn or after dark); cell 601-397-0186.

Oct. 8, Sat. Weatherford, TX. 7 pm. Host: Kerith Green. kmcalpine@hotmail.com.

Oct. 9, Sun. Available.

Oct. 10, Mon. Datil, NM. Carla speaks on "Desert Gardening." Host: Sissie Dirmeyer: 505-772-5911; POBox 710. 87821.

15. interested

interested New Member

Hello to all,

I just happen to be one of those who are on the verge of leaping, and have been reading and doing as much research about the skills and information needed to homestead. I have been very excited about the future jump, a little or alot nervous, but excited.

some months back i watched one segment of a series on this sort of thing. I dont know the name of it, but itwas about a few families who went into the mountains somewhere north I think and started their own homesteads with out electricity or running water or the like. I thought the coverage of the segment that I saw was slanted and the producers were much more interested in airing dirty laundry (so to speak) than actually trying to represent the situation realistictly. Much attention was paid to how people were not getting along and things that were said and done that shouldn't have been, instead of anything really educational or promoting. It was almost a soap opera type atmosphere.

This was very distressing to me and Not very helpful or very good, pleasant, or realistic presentation of homesteading.

If this is how it is going to go, I think it is questionable how much good it will do to promote homesteading and homesteaders.

I am not trying to rain on anyones parade though, and if it could be done well, I think it would be great to let others know that it is possible, and worth while. I'm just not sure that that will be the goal of the movie people, I think they like controversy and jucy little things like "dirty laundry"

16. Jan Sears

Jan Sears Well-Known Member

Carla I enjoy your Encyclopedia of Country Living. It is the one & only book that I reach for when a question arises. Please let us know when this program is going to air on Discovery Chanel & what the name of it is going to be.

17. Carla Emery

interested, I passed your reply on to James because I think it's an important statement. The producers need to understand that this needs to be a serious learning opportunity for viewers, not just rural soap opera. My impression though, from my limited correspondence with him, is that they're trying to watch genuine gardening challenges be mastered. He says he's trying to get Discovery Channel to reconsider their 9-month cut-off date for filming (Sept to May) because that omits the most important gardening months of summer.

Hi, Jan. Glad you like the book. Are you on my mailing list? (Go to www.carlaemery.com to sign up.) If so, you'll definitely know what's happening with this program.
    Gratefully,
    Carla

18. NYhomesteadr

NYhomesteadr Active Member

I hope they don't edit this show to make the homesteaders look like fools.
    Some reality shows use editing techniques to mislead the TV viewers in order to get ratings. But I guess the Discovery channel has no ratings anyway so they may not use trick editing.
    BTW Who makes the $$$$$ from this show, the homesteaders or the producers????
    I guess we all know the answer to this question!

19. HOB

HOB Active Member

To start I liked the book
    We move this weekend to our homestead If we can get this place all packed but by tuesday the latest.Then we are off on the 1000 mile drive
    The show could do well but only if it is done in the same way the Farmers Wife was done if its like the Nanny 911 it will Bomb But thats the difference between PBS and regular TV

20. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

In my discussions with our Mr. James - I made suggestions of new homesteaders I personally know just starting out. At first I was thinking what a great opportunity it would be for someone who has made the leap to have hands on instructors to help them out. Even having the 4 families I suggested homesteading within a 60 mile radius of each other was not of interest to James.

He made it clear that what he is looking for is people who have never homesteaded (I'm not sure how the person who has been raising their own food passed the test for inexperienced) and who are willing to go to a choosen location for 9 months.

Carla, I was wondering if James told you about presenting you to Discovery and letting you know later was after you told him your hopes for such a series? This would make me leary of his ideas and your own being on the "same page." Having spoken to him about the format and such, I'm having a problem connecting your hopes for such a program and what you have said for a long time about the evils of television viewing. Maybe it's just one of those the fires of hope burn eternally things.

I think we are hoping for a series of "how to" -- more of a teaching thing - and it looks like James is more interested in the entertainment value of somone without any experience taking on a totally different lifestyle then the one they are accustom to.

That said, as I mentioned earlier - if you have the time to devote to it, and if you are willing to take the risk involved (no input into the editing process), I still think it will be a great opportunity to learn if you have what it takes to be a homesteader, along with whatever the mentors or allowed to teach you.

Hopefully a DVD or Video will be offered for those of us who do not have access to "The Discovery Channel"

Marlene

P.S. Wish ya'll could have seen my husband's face when I suggested we offer them our back 40 -- it's pretty wild. I figured after a year we would have much of it cleared, a well dug, two or three log cabins built (combined into one larger home?), fencing and shelter for livestock, and huge garden -- then we could just move to the nicer back 40. He laughed but it is something for those of you with wild land on your homestead to think about don't you think? And if the show is a hit -- you can even make money by either charging to just give tours or renting it out for vacationers to live the homesteading experience. People pay you a nice fee to come spend their vacation time on your homestead - and you get the rewards of not only the fee but all the work they can get done while on "vacation." --I'm in the wrong business aren't I :(