Discouraging bugs, insects, etc?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Dreams30, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

I know that while living in the woods these things can't be totally prevented. What can I do to discourage them from coming in my house?

It is one thing to be careful of these creatures when walking in the woods, it is quite another to wake up with some of the more inhospitable ones on or way too close to my pillow.

ex. fire ants, huge spiders, copperheads (one killed 5 ft from where I lay my head at night), scorpions, etc.

We have raked the yard and try to keep it clean with all leaves/debris away from the house. What more can I do? I am not able to sleep very well anymore.

2. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Well, if you are in a really wooded area, I'm not sure if this will make as big an impact, but we find that the chickens have cut down on the bugs tremendously.

3. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

I understand how you feel, especially about the snake! When I was young, still in Calif., I had a decent sized Western Diamondback under my bed. That can be a very scary experience. Was also bit on the face by a gopher snake. I still like them and will even pick them up (not the poison bearing ones!), but don't want them in my house.
    One thing that can help is to make sure all openings are well sealed. Walk around your house and look for ways undesireable critters may try to get in, then have those places sealed. Also make sure window screens are secure and have no gaps or holes. Make sure screen doors are fully closed and that they leave no gaps. What is in your yard? Snakes and bugs like to hide...in bushes, around wood piles, in rock or masonry cracks, any cool dark spot will do. Snakes will also come near houses in search of water, especially during really dry periods. I hope something in here is useful :) Good luck!

4. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

For snakes you could get a bag of Snake Away and make a circle with it around your house. If I remember right lime (the white stuff in the bag not the fruit) is good for keeping snakes away also).I think OFF makes a candle for indoor use for regular bugs (I am not sure it would work on spiders or scorpions). You could spray the house with Raid Max in the blue can, that stuff with kill anything. Of course if you are trying to avoid chems you don't wanna bother with all of that stuff.

5. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

I think that in some situations the intollerable becomes more tollerable than the alternative.

(ie. a natural childbirth advocate in labor can scream for drugs and a woman who really doesn't like snakes can tollerate chemicals)

Thanks for the info.

6. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I had one of those great big 'banana spiders' insist on building it's web in my bedroom, lol. I wasn't about to move it, I was afraid I'd move wrong because I was nervous(small spider phobia) and injure it? So I just let it alone. But it would move it's web every once in a while and that would freak me out! Other smaller spiders get captured with a BIG cup and a file folder and told to have a nice life, OUTSIDE!

We get scorpions in the house sometimes, I don't know how you keep them out? Outside I do what I call the 'patented scorpion flip' prior to picking up any lumber or firewood! I confess, that these don't get the live capture treatment, I smash them.

Have you seen those ultrasonic devices? Don't they have one for bugs? Might be worth a try.

hollym