Discharge question....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

What does a doe's discharge look like when she's in heat compared to the discharge after they've been bred and the discharge before kidding?? I have a couple of does that I'm trying to figure out if they are in heat or getting ready to kid or what? I have a couple that have a whitish/yellowish discharge. It isn't clear at all. I wasn't sure if that is heat discharge or maybe the buck bred them? Can they have the clear kind when they are in heat too? Someone want to explain the differences? I'd be much appreciative!!

2. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

If they're as wide as they are tall - then they're probably about to kid. :p

I think the usual discharge when they're in heat is fairly clear - after they've been bred, it will be whitish. If the buck is in with them - he'll know. :cool:

3. Milk n' Honey

Actually, I wanted to know b/c I need to write it down. I don't want kids dropping all over next spring. If what you say is true, he's bred several does already. I've seen lots of "white stuff." We've witnessed two breedings also. He is a fast working boy!! We had a doe keep getting her head stuck in the fence today because she was soooo in heat. Good grief!! We aren't having any problems knowing who's in and who's not!! I just hadn't seen the white discharge before. Thanks!

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Write down what you saw when. Then if you have questions later, you can look back and know exactly what you saw instead of just your interpretation at the time.
    mary

5. Milk n' Honey

Good advice. I've been doing that. I just hate being in the dark. Now that we have a pen available, I could actually pen breed and I'm probably going to do just that with all the rest of the does. It is pretty obvious, to me, when they are in heat. When you have buck on the premises, it makes such a difference. I'm mostly nervous about a couple of does who I'm not sure if they are pregnant or not and I saw one of them with a bit of the clear mucous tonight and we've thought all along she was bred. I'm just scared she might drop her kids in the pasture and then they won't make it since it gets pretty chilly at night now. Hmmmm. Maybe I should put her in the available pen instead of the buck. LOL I wish my barn was twice as big.

6. mary,tx

Are they out in the pasture at night, then?

7. Milk n' Honey

Yep, well, they can get into the barn also. I should hope that she would instinctively go into the barn.

8. mary,tx

If you have a way to close her up in the barn at night, that's what I'd do. Around here, the barn is the safest place at night anyway, because of the coyotes and such. I wouldn't want a goat to be kidding out in the field, and some will do it.
    mary